• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Layering wax over sealant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layering wax over sealant?

I understand that Meguiar's doctrine says that waxes do not layer and 2 coats is the maximum for even coverage. What happens when you layer two different products like say 2 coats tech wax 2.0 as the first layer with 24 hours cure time, followed by a layer of gold class carnuba on top?

Does the coating just become a mix of the 2 products? The sealant seems like its a hard coat after it cures i would think the carnuba could sit on top of it?

Re: Layering wax over sealant?

From my experience full polymer sealants sometimes don't go very well with layer of carnauba wax on top. Because benefits usually won't stack and they can get into each others way. and you'll usually end up messing up the excellent hydrophobic effect of the sealant and your wax won't last as long as it should.

For example, I tried layering sonax net polymer shield (a sealant) and collinite 915 on top (wax), both supposed to offer excellent hydrophobic effect when used alone but I ended up with 915 completely failed to bond with the paint leaving tons of holograms and compromised the hydrophobic effect. This maybe due to the sonax being a VERY strong sealant, I can't even properly spread my UQD after it's cured , UQD will simply bead up leaving millions of very fine streaks...

So simply give it a good two coats of sealant and be very happy.

Comment

I very often top Ultimate Paste Wax with natural M16 Professional Paste Wax. No issues at all. Hydrophobic characteristics of UPW were not compromised.

The reason of sealant/wax combo is to get solid base of synthetic wax and warm, naturally glossy look of natural wax.

With introduction of Ultimate Fast Finish we can now take advantage of its super long protection period, up to 1 year, and this sealant can top any wax/sealant.

Comment

Was actually about to ask similar question. Can anyone give me any info/recommendations/results of layering Gold Class CP over Ultimate LW? I love the shine on my Aegean Blue Civic (2017touring) with ULW, yet I hear a lot of controversy regarding layering. Carnauba gives a better shine yet not all of them can be layered. I want to keep the ULW durability yet every now and then use GC. Is the combo ok? Will GC strip (solvents) ULW?

Comment

Originally posted by Jose_18x View Post
          I want to keep the ULW durability yet every now and then use GC. Is the combo ok? Will GC strip (solvents) ULW?
          It shouldn't be a problem.
          Just let ULW settle for at least 24 hours before applying GCCP.

Couple ideas for you.

M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax is Meguiar's hybrid wax. It will give you kind of sealant/carnauba effect in just single application.

Ultimate Fast Finish (UFF), Meguiar's spray on towel synthetic wax, can top any wax/sealant to offer protection up to one year. So if you have your favorite wax/sealant you could just top it with UFF without any worrying of protection period. Again, at least 24 hours after first application before UFF addition.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');