• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maintain New Black Vehicle in Dusty Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintain New Black Vehicle in Dusty Area

Hey there guys... just wanted to ask help on how I can best maintain my car paint. I live in Manila, Philippines and the air here in the metro is extremely dirty. Your newly washed car will get dirty in no time. Just leave it for couple of hours and you will see your car dirty right away. There's even a construction in front of our house so all the dust are being blown to our house. We don't have a covered garage as well. I started to use car cover as well but not sure if not sure if it's ok to cover when the car is dirty anyway. I am thinking of getting Supagard glass coat but it's quite expensive so I am still thinking twice. I do have several Meguiar's products that I want to use instead. What is the best way to maintain the paint? I am using California Car duster and feather duster to clean off dust but is it safe to use it? Would it scratch the paint? Any recommendation on how to maintain the paint finish? How often should I polish or wax it?

Another question...My car is one month old. A black one. And of course, the dealer messed up the paint real bad - DISO. There are long scratches on my hood and swirl marks all over the place. I had a chat with Meguiar's customer support couple of weeks back and they advised to use Ultimate Compound to remove the scratches and the watermarks. I am quite hesitant though as I am not sure what will be the impact of UC on a new vehicle although I want to remove the scratches and start over. I instead bought Ultimate Polish as it can remove fine swirl marks. I also have Ultimate Liquid Wax. Apparently, UP did not remove all the fine scratches on my hood. They are still visible. I don't have a DA, only hand buff. It also cannot remove watermarks too. Should I start using UC? If I start using it, should I use it on the entire vehicle or just in the area where I have the scratches and watermarks? Or should I wait couple of months before I use it?

Sorry for the long post but I hope you guys can help me.

Thanks!

JL

Re: Maintain New Black Vehicle in Dusty Area

I'll follow your long post with some quick answers.

Originally posted by pengmalups View Post
    Hey there guys... just wanted to ask help on how I can best maintain my car paint. I live in Manila, Philippines and the air here in the metro is extremely dirty. Your newly washed car will get dirty in no time. Just leave it for couple of hours and you will see your car dirty right away. There's even a construction in front of our house so all the dust are being blown to our house. We don't have a covered garage as well. I started to use car cover as well but not sure if not sure if it's ok to cover when the car is dirty anyway. I am thinking of getting Supagard glass coat but it's quite expensive so I am still thinking twice. I do have several Meguiar's products that I want to use instead. What is the best way to maintain the paint? I am using California Car duster and feather duster to clean off dust but is it safe to use it? Would it scratch the paint? Any recommendation on how to maintain the paint finish? How often should I polish or wax it?
    I would NOT use a car cover, especially on a dirty surface. Car covers are for garage kept vehicles.
    I would also be very careful removing heavy dust/dirt with the California duster. Repeated use trying to keep your car dust free will likely leave you with swirl marks.
    I would try to apply a wax/sealant every 3-4 months if your schedule allows. Polish only when necessary (swirls, water spots or scratches present).

Another question...My car is one month old. A black one. And of course, the dealer messed up the paint real bad - DISO. There are long scratches on my hood and swirl marks all over the place. I had a chat with Meguiar's customer support couple of weeks back and they advised to use Ultimate Compound to remove the scratches and the watermarks. I am quite hesitant though as I am not sure what will be the impact of UC on a new vehicle although I want to remove the scratches and start over. I instead bought Ultimate Polish as it can remove fine swirl marks. I also have Ultimate Liquid Wax. Apparently, UP did not remove all the fine scratches on my hood. They are still visible. I don't have a DA, only hand buff. It also cannot remove watermarks too. Should I start using UC? If I start using it, should I use it on the entire vehicle or just in the area where I have the scratches and watermarks? Or should I wait couple of months before I use it?
    Where the Ultimate Polish isn't working, use the Ultimate Compound. You don't need to do the entire surface, just the area where you have the heaviest scratches. Once you're satisfied with how the surface looks, apply the Ultimate Liquid Wax. If you don't have time to correct the entire vehicle right away, put on a coat of ULW today! It sounds like you need it!

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah it is really weird that our local automobile website recommends getting a car cover for "exposed" vehicles without realizing that the metro's air is dirty. We do have a garage but it is not covered. One reason I got a cover is because of bird droppings. We get massive bird droppings and I started to get some paint stain because of that. UP couldn't totally remove it so I suspect it is a job for UC.

I do have some watermarks now and UP couldn't remove it. I am now thinking of getting a UC but wanted to make sure it would work. I don't have a DA so I have no idea how effective it would be if I do it by hand. I want to find someone who has UC before I throw away $22 for a bottle (yes it's around $22 bucks here in PH). I only have many light scratches on the hood and tailgate so is it fine to just use UC on both of them and not the entire vehicle? Would the color stay balanced?

What sealant do you recommend? I am thinking of applying UW and then top it off with GC every couple of weeks. (but not sure if that makes sense)

Comment

A California Duster will NOT leave swirl marks if used correctly. I have been using mine for years on two black cars. For light dusting, and if used correctly, they are the perfect tool.

Comment

Ultimate Compound is quite potent, it will also depend on the hardness of a car's paint. Each car paint will behave differently even with the same product/cleaner, so try a small section first to see if it finishes with the clarity and gloss you're after. Some paints finish well even with just Ultimate Compound, some cars with softer paint may leave a blurred, marred unsatisfactory finish that may require an extra step to really bring out the gloss.

Since you'll be working UC by hand, you will have to work in 2ft x 2ft sections at most, and you will have to put in a bit of elbow grease to remove those unsightly swirls, stains or markings left by the bird droppings. The colors will stay balanced or "equal" just remember that UC should not be applied like wax, not allowed to dry to a haze or it will cause more problems (marring, diminished gloss, or swirls). Apply using a clean foam applicator, work in sections (circular motions should not be a problem) until you see most of it is gone, remove while wet.

As for the sealant to use, Ultimate Wax is a good choice. Topping with Gold Class wax may or may not be necessary, again do a side by side(on a small section) between of Ultimate Wax topped with Gold Class vs. Ultimate Wax alone. If the Gold Class topped section looks better (in your eyes), then go for it.

Now you don't have to do that full wax job every few weeks, if it were up to me, I would just car wash as needed or if I can get away with it, do more frequent light dusting followed by a an instant detailer as needed (I prefer Ultimate Quick Detailer) and Spray Wax (again, I prefer Ultimate Quick Wax) maybe every 2 weeks. Much quicker and less time consuming than the full wax job, and you'll be pleasantly surprised how durable your wax coat will be with continued instant detailing and spray wax.

After you've done the more intensive detailing, I recommend using a cleaner wax-sealant combo for faster and still respectable results. I've worked with Black Wax+Ultimate Wax combination. Black wax is not a tinted wax, it is a Polish-Cleaner-wax, ideal for all dark colors. The cleaners in it are not that aggressive, but it cleans well enough, the oils in it will add depth. A coat of Ultimate Wax will add even more protection and shine. Give it a shot..

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
            A California Duster will NOT leave swirl marks if used correctly. I have been using mine for years on two black cars. For light dusting, and if used correctly, they are the perfect tool.
            That's great to hear. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ffboy View Post
              Ultimate Compound is quite potent, it will also depend on the hardness of a car's paint. Each car paint will behave differently even with the same product/cleaner, so try a small section first to see if it finishes with the clarity and gloss you're after. Some paints finish well even with just Ultimate Compound, some cars with softer paint may leave a blurred, marred unsatisfactory finish that may require an extra step to really bring out the gloss.

Since you'll be working UC by hand, you will have to work in 2ft x 2ft sections at most, and you will have to put in a bit of elbow grease to remove those unsightly swirls, stains or markings left by the bird droppings. The colors will stay balanced or "equal" just remember that UC should not be applied like wax, not allowed to dry to a haze or it will cause more problems (marring, diminished gloss, or swirls). Apply using a clean foam applicator, work in sections (circular motions should not be a problem) until you see most of it is gone, remove while wet.

As for the sealant to use, Ultimate Wax is a good choice. Topping with Gold Class wax may or may not be necessary, again do a side by side(on a small section) between of Ultimate Wax topped with Gold Class vs. Ultimate Wax alone. If the Gold Class topped section looks better (in your eyes), then go for it.

Now you don't have to do that full wax job every few weeks, if it were up to me, I would just car wash as needed or if I can get away with it, do more frequent light dusting followed by a an instant detailer as needed (I prefer Ultimate Quick Detailer) and Spray Wax (again, I prefer Ultimate Quick Wax) maybe every 2 weeks. Much quicker and less time consuming than the full wax job, and you'll be pleasantly surprised how durable your wax coat will be with continued instant detailing and spray wax.

After you've done the more intensive detailing, I recommend using a cleaner wax-sealant combo for faster and still respectable results. I've worked with Black Wax+Ultimate Wax combination. Black wax is not a tinted wax, it is a Polish-Cleaner-wax, ideal for all dark colors. The cleaners in it are not that aggressive, but it cleans well enough, the oils in it will add depth. A coat of Ultimate Wax will add even more protection and shine. Give it a shot..
              Thanks for your feedback as well. What I am planning to do is to maintain the UW and top up Gold every month since I have both. I still have lots of scratches and not sure what to do with it. I don't think UP is doing any good. I am thinking of using Sonax Polish+Wax2 and observe what happens. I will probably do that once the UW is gone. If that doesn't fix the light scratches then I have no choice but to go UC.

I am also checking Collinite 845 but some people say it performs no more than what UW can do as well. Is that true?

I am also looking for a way to protect my vehicle since it is extremely dusty in my area. The house construction in front of our house isn't helping.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback as well. What I am planning to do is to maintain the UW and top up Gold every month since I have both. I still have lots of scratches and not sure what to do with it. I don't think UP is doing any good. I am thinking of using Sonax Polish+Wax2 and observe what happens. I will probably do that once the UW is gone. If that doesn't fix the light scratches then I have no choice but to go UC.

I am also checking Collinite 845 but some people say it performs no more than what UW can do as well. Is that true?

I am also looking for a way to protect my vehicle since it is extremely dusty in my area. The house construction in front of our house isn't helping.
                Based on my own experience with Collinite 845, I would say it is similar. One thing I did notice with the 845 (it is a liquid wax), is that it has to be applied real thin and not allowed tohaze for too long, or it can leave smears or that undesired uneven look. In terms of looks, it seems to have a "brighter" look than compared to Gold Class or even NXT 2.0. Durability, in my experience and when compared to Ultimate Paste Wax (which I still have) is actually quite similar.

However, Collinite 845 "wins" in terms of pricing. I'm afraid (maybe others can give their inputs) more frequent dust removal and careful carwashes are the primary means to protect your car in dusty areas. Wax won't really make your car "dust resistant", but it will make dust removal easier, regardless of whichever Meguiars wax/sealant or non-meguiars wax you use.

Comment

Originally posted by ffboy View Post
                  Based on my own experience with Collinite 845, I would say it is similar. One thing I did notice with the 845 (it is a liquid wax), is that it has to be applied real thin and not allowed tohaze for too long, or it can leave smears or that undesired uneven look. In terms of looks, it seems to have a "brighter" look than compared to Gold Class or even NXT 2.0. Durability, in my experience and when compared to Ultimate Paste Wax (which I still have) is actually quite similar.

However, Collinite 845 "wins" in terms of pricing. I'm afraid (maybe others can give their inputs) more frequent dust removal and careful carwashes are the primary means to protect your car in dusty areas. Wax won't really make your car "dust resistant", but it will make dust removal easier, regardless of whichever Meguiars wax/sealant or non-meguiars wax you use.
                  @ffboy - mukang kababayan kita brader ah.

Anyway, I tried to wash my car today. Beading and sheeting is still there but it's no longer smooth. I will try to top it up with Gold class. I think Collinite is much cheaper here because it is only available through online sellers but I think in the U.S. Collinite 845 is more expensive than UW.

Comment

Yes, indeed.. we're from the same country and city..

Heavy dusting is a major annoyance.. I've been in that situation too. Why not replenishing the finish first using Ultimate Quick Wax instead of Gold Class? I'm sure Gold Class will add more depth, but as to how much more depth, that you have to see for yourself.. I'm just not sure if topping with Gold Class will be of much help with the dust issues though..

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');