• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Perfect Clarity Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Perfect Clarity Coating

I applied two good coats of the Perfect Clarity coating not too long ago. Today, I baked the headlights open to install projectors. I noticed my fingerprints are now imprinted on the lens, I'm guessing due to the coating. What's the most gentle way to remove it so I can reapply after I get everything back together?

Re: Removing Perfect Clarity Coating

You could try polishing to see if it does anything.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Do you think the fingerprints were caused by the baking in conjunction with the heat or is it like the coating never fully hardened? Not to hijack the thread but I'm doing some testing now with the Keep Clear coating on a motorcycle windshield and if it never gets fully hardened that's going to change things completely. I think, based on previous posts, the Keep Clear is the one you used, correct? The blue and black bottle?
      Lydia's Mobile Detailing
      Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
      2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Keep Clear, yes, the new black and blue aerosol bottle. I knew the name but apparently had a brain fart when I typed it out, lol. The coating does dry/"harden," and I believe it was indeed caused by the baking. However, it was only set to 180*F. I'm curious if strong summer sun in California or Florida, for example, could cause the same thing to happen though?

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
          Keep Clear, yes, the new black and blue aerosol bottle. I knew the name but apparently had a brain fart when I typed it out, lol. The coating does dry/"harden," and I believe it was indeed caused by the baking. However, it was only set to 180*F. I'm curious if strong summer sun in California or Florida, for example, could cause the same thing to happen though?
          It doesn't at least down in So Cal. It's the same coating that came in the perfect clarity kit and I used it about 3-4 times and never saw this issue while the cars sat in the sun. It would have to get seriously hot for that to even happen.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

I have absolutely no idea how hot housings get in the sun. One of those things I could use an infrared thermometer on if I ever buy one, lol. It doesn't seem unreasonable to think they could get up to 160*F-180*F in the direct sun when the ambient temp is say 110*F. Again, I don't know though.

Anyways, it took A LOT of elbow grease with some Plast-X, but I got all of the old coating off. Once I finish up with everything else and I know it's good to go, I'll put some more Keep Clear on! For now, I think a coat of UFF will work.

Thanks all!

Comment

That's good news that plastx was able to get it off.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Welcome roushstage2. And yeah, it's good to go.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');