• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silver paint overspray on Laser Red '00 Expedition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver paint overspray on Laser Red '00 Expedition

Hi,
    Just wanted opinions on getting silver paint overspray off my Laser Red paint job. Here are the steps that I have done.
    I used NXT car wash to wash vehicle.
    I clayed vehicle with Mother's Gold clay bar(couldn't find the Meg bar locally).
    I put 2 coats of NXT paste wax on.
    The paint surface is many times smoother than it was and looks pretty good but I noticed after the last coat of NXT paste wax that there is still some silver paint spots, some of them can bee seen but not really felt. My question is what is my next step/steps on removing the remaining silver overspray. I took some photos but you can't really see the spots too well. Also I waxed by hand, would a polisher/buffer help to get rid of the problem. Thanks in advance. (silver paint is industrial paint used to paint gas pipelines)

Well, claying was a good start. Sounds like you may have needed to use a good paint cleaner as well, instead of going right to the wax.

You may want to clay again, or at least the area perhaps, to help get the wax off the paint from the area you are working on. Not too big a deal if you have some left over.

After that, you will want a good cleaner. DC#1 is a pure chemical cleaner, but if this silver paint has etched into your paint, then you may beed the aggressiveness of ScratchX by hand.

We can always recomened things for the PC, but if you dont really want one yet, and can remove it with ScratchX and some grunt work, then that is probably best. Dont just run out and get a cheap polisher. Can cause more harm than good.

Since you didnt mention anything about a paint cleaner, I will also mention that good surface prep is important to getting the most endurance and looks out of your wax. Next time, since you already clayed the whole truck, running over the whole truck with something like like DC#1 will prep the surface even more, and allow you to get even more out of your waxjob. Some polish, like DC#2 could also bring out the red even more.. but thats a whole 'nother topic.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I think Murr1525 covered the bases pretty well here, I would just back him up on claying your truck's finish again. Detailing clay is the safest way to remove above surface contaminants. This time, focus on the task at hand, and in this specific case, focus on the paint your immediately claying.

Last summer I helped a young man remove white industrial enamel off his truck and we had to clay and inspect, clay and inspect, clay and inspect. There were literally millions of little white dots and with patience and tenacity, we were able to remove 99.9% of every paint dot with Meguiar's Quik Clay System.

Afterwards, rub the entire finish down with ScratchX, work the product section by section, panel by panel and remove each time after working it in. After that go to your wax.

Overspray on paint close-up

Overspray on windshield close-up

Test Spot - To see what we could do

Overspray removed from windshield and one half of the hood
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the replies!
        After looking at your photos, I know there's hope for my truck. It's not near that bad.

I worked on the hood today with the clay and detailer spray. All but a very few spots came out. I'll apply the ScratchX next.

Thanks again, this message board is very helpful.

Comment

Here are some photos after claying, Scratch X, NXT cas wash, 2 coats of NXT paste, (3 on the hood because it was so dull). QD, Hot shine for the tires and wheels. Thanks for all the tips!

Gallery Photos

Comment

If you paint is a bit dull, a coat of polish, like the DC#2, may be good to apply as well. Next time you use a paint cleaner, follow up with some polish, and then wax. It will help nourish the paint, and add some depth and shine. Also, you will not need to use ScratchX every time.. now that you have great results, something milder like DC#1 can be used as well/
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');