• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Orbital Buffer and UP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Orbital Buffer and UP

I know this should be in the buffer section, however no posts in the buffer section for months. Move at your own digression. I have a bottle of UP which I was not impressed with, as it dries before I have a chance to remove it and then one needs the arms of the Hulk to remove it. My paint is in excellent shape, and I want to use up the UP, (or throw it out) and hopefully put a little extra zing in my black paint. Will the buffer and the UP do anything or am I just wasting my time with such a light duty tool?

The buffer is great for applying cleaner wax, and topping with UW. Saves the elbows, ensure coverage, although I remove both by hand. I do have the DA System, but I have no intention of using the drill thing on the entire car. For me, that is just a spot corrector. Thanks for your help.

Re: Random Orbital Buffer and UP

You will get minimal results with a wax spreader type buffer. You will get better performance out of a dual action polisher.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
      You will get minimal results with a wax spreader type buffer. You will get better performance out of a dual action polisher.
      Thanks, butI know that. Been here since 2007 LOL. As I so not have any serious, or even minimal paint correction. I just want to use up this UP (rather than throwing it out) and wondering if it will do anything at all, or just wasting my time with the random orbital buffer. I don't need the power of a DA, or even want one.

Comment

Lol I was kind of wondering why you were posting that question. Quite frankly, I would suggest just giving it a try. But that sounded kind of mean so I didn't want to post it at first. Maybe you could be the guinea pig and let us know the results?
        Lydia's Mobile Detailing
        Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
        2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
          Lol I was kind of wondering why you were posting that question. Quite frankly, I would suggest just giving it a try. But that sounded kind of mean so I didn't want to post it at first. Maybe you could be the guinea pig and let us know the results?
          I wouldn't have taken it as being mean. LOL. Sometimes I have to hold myself back on the other mechanic sites for some of the questions. I guess I was just looking for some benefit, considering my one try with it UP was a disaster with the DA system (probably used too much or waited too long, and it dried. Like taking tar off once it dries) I will try it on a small section and see if it is worth the effort compared to the results. Probably be a while before I know the results. A little too cold for detailing and I just came across the UP while downstairs smelling open wax cans and getting myself all excited about detailing again in a few weeks.

Comment

You could give it a try. There was a member on here that got some good correction with one of those tools - of course he was actually using UC, but regardless, it will be more effective than using by hand.

Whenever I'd get those clear, hard deposits going over the section with another application would reactivate the dried glaze, and wipe off with no problem. One thing that seemed to help was giving the bottle a really good shake before use.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
              Thanks, butI know that. Been here since 2007 LOL. As I so not have any serious, or even minimal paint correction. I just want to use up this UP (rather than throwing it out) and wondering if it will do anything at all, or just wasting my time with the random orbital buffer. I don't need the power of a DA, or even want one.
              Just making sure you were on the right site

You asked and I responded. You should seriously get a DA. Much better than either of those two tools you have.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                Just making sure you were on the right site

You asked and I responded. You should seriously get a DA. Much better than either of those two tools you have.
                I agree, and I would get a DA if I needed serious correction, or was a professional detailer, or neglected my cars requiring periodic correction. None of those apply. Why swing a sledge hammer, when a tack hammer will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                  I agree, and I would get a DA if I needed serious correction, or was a professional detailer, or neglected my cars requiring periodic correction. None of those apply. Why swing a sledge hammer, when a tack hammer will do.
                  Not necessarily true. I don't know how many folks purchase a DA to apply just waxes or do minor polishing to spruce up the paint. But we don't all like change so it is understandable.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');