• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing in winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing in winter?

Not sure if this is right section. Mods move as needed.

For those living in northern areas with winter, snow, salt etc how do guys keep a daily driver that's parked outside clean and waxed throughout the winter?I just picked up my new baby and I'm itching to get my hands on it but around freezing temperatures, rain and snow are a problem.
    09 Ford Explorer Limited AWD

Re: Detailing in winter?

I never touch my two cars in the winter. In November they both get a good detail, clay, polish, wax, and then I don't touch them 'till March. Both are black cars, and look basically white with salt, all winter. When I do wash in March, the water still beads up, probably because I don't wash the wax off all winter. Salt will not hurt the paint, even if you don't wax it. Salt WILL kill unprotected metal. Make sure you get it rust proofed every fall, with a non hardening coat. I use Rust Check. My 11 year old car, was never winter washed, but rust proofed every fall. No rust anywhere, even on brake parts. I paint all not contact surfaces. People cannot believe it is an 11 year old car when I wash, and detail it in the spring. Only a month and a half or so to go, and I am already in my basement with the top off my Ultimate Wax can smelling the aroma. Can't wait.

Comment

So you don't wash the cars at all in winter? Just let whatever rain, snow, road spray etc go? I'm going to get it rust proofed in the coming weeks as it's never been done ever.

Comment

Originally posted by trailblazer295 View Post
        So you don't wash the cars at all in winter? Just let whatever rain, snow, road spray etc go? I'm going to get it rust proofed in the coming weeks as it's never been done ever.
        The first winter 05/06 when I bought the 06 new, I took it to a touchless car wash once. Car looked gorgeous for the first few miles, then it was almost as dirty as when I took it in. Wasted $$$$. So, nope, it has never been washed in the winter since. The only thing kept clean on the cars are the windows, mirrors, and lights. That I can do in the garage with a squirt bottle. The paint is darn nice for an 06. All that said, some people use the touchless car washes mentioned, or these waterless washes. I am sure someone will offer their solution to winter detailing. I like mine best. None.

Comment

i wash mine every week, ive only missed one weekend so far because of cold and its almost February. plus u can do waterless/rinseless washes. no reason to have a dirty car all winter in my opinion

Comment

just watch the weather forecasts, its easy to keep looking clean,

Comment

Originally posted by MicrofiberMan View Post
              i wash mine every week, ive only missed one weekend so far because of cold and its almost February. plus u can do waterless/rinseless washes. no reason to have a dirty car all winter in my opinion
              Agreed ....

Comment

Originally posted by MicrofiberMan View Post
                . no reason to have a dirty car all winter in my opinion
                Sure, in Boston where you might get one snow fall all winter, and you are unlucky if you get down below freezing a few days all winter. Try living near the great lakes and arctic lows where we get snow squalls off the lake almost every day. Snowy roads and salt every day. I think you might get a little tired of having a clean car every day.

Comment

I'm east of Pontiac, MI.

I've been able to do some jobs in the winter due to a garage, and a heater.

In October my gf had some body work done on her car, and last night, I finally removed the swirls, and installed a layer of M21.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                    Sure, in Boston where you might get one snow fall all winter, and you are unlucky if you get down below freezing a few days all winter. Try living near the great lakes and arctic lows where we get snow squalls off the lake almost every day. Snowy roads and salt every day. I think you might get a little tired of having a clean car every day.
                    Agreed, with all the salt and brime they throw on the roads washing that often would be a full time job. Even using car washes would be a lot of coin. I'll probably use coin washes in the winter to get a lot of the salt off the underbody and frame. I don't have a big garage so not sure how feasible detailing would be. Washing is out of the question clay and wax maybe I haven't tried parking it in it. It's a single car garage so not tons of space on either side.

Comment

You would be suprised what you can do in a single car garage. Back in the day when I had a single car garage, I would just park the car close on one side of the wall to give me more working room on the other. Get that side done, then back it in, do the same thing on the other side. Not ideal, but it works.

In the winter, I try to get a good coat of wax on in the fall. Then I go to the touchless after a snow event and the roads clean up a bit. More to flush out the bottom of the car. Then come back and do a quick detail or quick wax on the car. That seems to get me through the winter. This winter has been pretty mild as far as snow goes and we have had a lot of rain, so I have not been to the car wash much at all. The rain has kept any salt we have gotten cleaned up.

Also, this year I have given a shot at trying rinseless wash. Still working at that, but with that, I have just gone out and hosed the car off in the driveway, even in 40 degrees, just to knock off the **** and flush the wheel wells and underside a bit, then do the rinseless wash with ONR.

Good luck!
                      2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
                      2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
                      2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

I can't say its winter weather here! but having just getting my wife and I's first new car and finally getting a chance to do things right from the get go, I'm able to keep it looking good with final touch and X wax along with a few microfiber towels. I did put a coat of Ultimate wax on it after a couple of good washes but I can't wait for the spring to get some notorious dealer swirls out.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');