• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I improve my detailing routine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I improve my detailing routine?

Regular one car owner

Car wash
    Meguiar Gold Car Wash

Car Routine
    - Wash every week
    - Clay every 6 months with Meguiar Clay Kit
    - Wax every 4 months with Meguiar Liquid Wax
    - Synthetic Xpress wax twice a week

Cleaners
    Meguiar APC (Interior, carpets, floor mats, tires)
    Meguiar Super Degreaser (Engine, Tires after dressing)

Tire Dressing
    Meguiar Hyper Dressing
    Kraft Tool PL600L Cellulose Sponge

I don't know if I should polish the car. It is silver.

Re: How can I improve my detailing routine?

Whether you should polish or not depends on what the paint looks like after the claying, & what your standards are for the car. Silver doesn't show as many imperfections as, say, darker colors. So if it looks fine to you after the clay then just wax it.

Comment

I say to polish it. Polishing cleans up the paint as well as adding gloss to the paint. Silver won't give you the wow factor of a say a black colored vehicle. But it will leave the paint with a brighter and glossier appearance.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

How are you applying Synthetic Express Spray Wax twice a week, if you're only washing it once a week? If that's the case I'd bet you're consistently putting swirls in your paint.

You might want to consider adding Megs D115 Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax or D155 Last Touch Detailer into your routine.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
          How are you applying Synthetic Express Spray Wax twice a week, if you're only washing it once a week? If that's the case I'd bet you're consistently putting swirls in your paint.

You might want to consider adding Megs D115 Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax or D155 Last Touch Detailer into your routine.
          lol it was a typo, I actually meant to write every 2 weeks

week 1 = wash, dry
          week 2 = wash, dry, xpress wax
          and so on

I'm not such noob to apply any type of wax without washing the car first.

I'm choosing to apply the quick wax every 2 weeks, so it lasts me longer and also because the ultimate liquid wax is one of the longest, if the not the longest lasting wax in the Meguiar line. No need to go crazy and apply it once a week

Yes, I'm planning on getting the last touch detailer, so I can replace the Meguiar quick detailer.

I'm considering also using 303 protectant on carpets and floor mats.

Comment

Sounds like you're on the right track, cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogos View Post
              Yes, I'm planning on getting the last touch detailer, so I can replace the Meguiar quick detailer.
              D155 Last Touch Spray Detailer is very economical, as it comes in gallon size, but it lacks the hydrophobic polymers, which M135 and Ultimate Quik Detailer have.
              However, D155 can be also used as a clay lubricant, diluted with water 1:1, and M135 nor UQD cannot.

I really like Ultimate Wash & Wax car shampoo for freshly waxed car treatment.

Definitely, as mentioned already above, using car polish twice a year (after claying, before waxing) would be beneficial.
              Depending on your needs: it could be just gentle Ultimate Polish (also called pre-wax glaze) or Ultimate Compound (if defect removal is needed).

Comment

Originally posted by Cogos View Post
                Regular one car owner

Car wash
                Meguiar Gold Car Wash

Car Routine
                - Wash every week
                - Clay every 6 months with Meguiar Clay Kit
                - Wax every 4 months with Meguiar Liquid Wax
                - Synthetic Xpress wax twice a week

Cleaners
                Meguiar APC (Interior, carpets, floor mats, tires)
                Meguiar Super Degreaser (Engine, Tires after dressing)

Tire Dressing
                Meguiar Hyper Dressing
                Kraft Tool PL600L Cellulose Sponge

I don't know if I should polish the car. It is silver.
                You can apply a sealant after you clay. 6 months would be a good interval for a sealant, and claying is the perfect prep for applying a sealant. You can wax over the sealant too if you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                  I say to polish it. Polishing cleans up the paint as well as adding gloss to the paint. Silver won't give you the wow factor of a say a black colored vehicle. But it will leave the paint with a brighter and glossier appearance.
                  I agree, sure, pure polishes (Deep Crystal or Show Car Glaze) or cleaner polishes (M205 or Ultimate Polish) usually make a big difference on dark colors. But I've used Meguiars Show Car Glaze on my silver car, it does make the car shinier. My experience (or at least this is how I interpret what I saw) is that, pure polishes will highlight the strong points of any paint color. On dark colors, my experience is that pure polishes add more depth, conceal minor swirls and imperfections. On light colors, like on my silver car, the flakes popped out more and seemed to have given the clear coat a thicker, shinier look.

Whether or not the added benefit is good enough to be added to your routine is entirely up to you.

Comment

I love the depth which M205 can create.
                    In my opinion (I know, I've said it many times already) Ultra Finishing Polish is a master product in that department.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...Hbgukz8t1d4.97

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');