• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PP365 longevity report after 2 1/2 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PP365 longevity report after 2 1/2 months

Back in November, I did two of the family DD's with PP365, the wife's Cruze and my daughter's Fit. Here's the thread after the initial application on the wife's Cruze:

Neither car had been washed in over a month, but a mild weekend gave me the opportunity to do a clean and inspect. Just to provide some background, all the family DD's are parked outside 24/7 in Western PA. Winter has been moderate so far, a few snowfalls up to 4 inches and a lot of freezing rain/sleet. My local municipality is very efficient with plowing and salting, so we've dealt more with salt-ridden slush than repeated snowfalls. Both cars get driven every day for short distances at low speeds. No long highway-speed travel has been involved.

The first few pics were taken before any washing.

You may notice that it doesn't look extremely dirty for a car daily driven in winter and not being washed in over a month. IMO, the self-cleaning properties of PP365 rival the much more expensive coatings I've applied to other cars in the past. The nasty crust of salt spray she'd accumulate after every snowfall would be washed nearly clean by the next rain.
    Next up was a pre-rinse and wash. I had already mixed up a bucket of Duragloss Rinseless Wash before I decided to document the process, so I did a rinseless process, followed by a thorough hose rinse and flood rinse to negate any influence of the DG Rinseless on the water behavior of the PP365. The flood / pooling rinse and leaf-blower drying gave mixed results; The horizontal surfaces weren't nearly as hydrophobic as I would hope for, but the verticals shed water easily. Maybe it was due to repeated use of a Sno Brum, but water laid on the roof, hood and trunk as it would on a car that hadn't been polished or waxed in a long time. I took some more pics when it was all dried off with daylight diminishing rapidly:

It happened to lightly rain overnight, so I headed outside in the AM to check beading, or lack thereof, on the horizontal panels.

Much to my surprise, the same panels that showed poor sheeting during the rinse still had respectable beading while still clean.

Just as a test, I washed the Honda Fit also, which was done with PP365 a week later in November, using Rupes Shampoo, which claims no gloss-enhancing agents. Beading / sheeting was the same as the Cruze during the wash and rinse, with poor performance on the roof and hood, but good sheeting on the verticals.

Conclusions:
    The high level of gloss and extreme slickness of the finish I praised on initial application was gone. However, the dirt-shedding ability of PP365, as I mentioned earlier, was just as effective as an expensive coating. We're only halfway through the winter, but I expect the PP365 will still be protecting into the spring. On my own Black DD, for which I have the opportunity to wash regularly, I'll stick with conventional waxes / sealants with spray waxes such as D156 used regularly as a drying aid. On the other cars, where expectations aren't as high, PP365 is a good choice of product, IMO. If I had it to do again, I'd follow up my first app of PP with another a week or so later. At $9.95 for a bottle that will do 6-8 cars, PP365 is definitely a great value.
    Would I buy it again? I'm not sure yet. With the longevity claims of the new Ultimate Fast Finish, that will be be the next LSP I try on the women's DD's. Without UFF, I'd likely use PP365 again. I consider it an "average Joe" product, meaning that it offers a high level of protection for those who don't care to spend the time and effort on their cars appearance and don't have the high level of expectations that we at MOL do.

Thanks for reading,
    Bill

Re: PP365 longevity report after 2 1/2 months

Thanks for taking the time to do the review and update, Bill! This and UFF are two products I'm quite interested in. I haven't been able to find them locally and was undecided about ordering them. Good to know it does seem to be holding up well.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Good feedback. Thanks.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks for your update, Bill. It's very helpful for other potential users.

I looked at your prep work, before applying PP365, and probably fresh claying/polishing, just prior to application, would give it even stronger bonding, most likely.

It's good to know that car wash restored paint protection characteristics of PP365, which were barely seen on horizontal panels before.

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
        This and UFF are two products I'm quite interested in. I haven't been able to find them locally and was undecided about ordering them.
        My local Walmart sells PP365, that's where I get it locally.

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
          Thanks for your update, Bill. It's very helpful for other potential users.

I looked at your prep work, before applying PP365, and probably fresh claying/polishing, just prior to application, would give it even stronger bonding, most likely.
          You make a good point, Greg, but I don't think it would have made much difference. Here's why I feel that way; The Cruze was clayed and polished in August, then machine waxed with Duragloss 501. After 3 months I was definitely on the downside of its protection. As I mentioned, my daughter's Honda Fit got PP365 the subsequent weekend. I did do both a clay and Iron-X procedure on that one and the PP365 reacted identical to the Cruze in beading and sheeting, weak on the horizontal panels, good on the verticals.

I'd like to add one thing that I neglected to mention. In my original post from November, I mentioned that I did most of the plastics with the PP365. They're all still beading somewhat, but the the vinyl strips that run lengthwise along the roof, filling the gap between the center roof panel and the door frames didn't fare well. It definitely grayed up a bit, with some white spot outlines. It's gonna take a bit of scrubbing to get the black back, so I'd tread lightly with PP365 on the soft surfaces.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
            My local Walmart sells PP365, that's where I get it locally.
            Thanks, good to know! My smaller local Wally World doesn't appear to have it but I'll try the supercenter.
            Lydia's Mobile Detailing
            Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
            2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');