Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scratches reappear after a week...

Registered Member

Re: Scratches reappear after a week...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Winn View Post

My first thought it that the scratches you are seeing have were not taking out during your initial compounding step. Ultimate Polish & NXT Tech Wax 2.0 have some natural ability to certain defects to a certain extent, but I don't believe that is the case here.
    Nicholas - Could you please elaborate a little about this.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Geeky View Post
    Inspected it before I applied wax and the scratches are appearing now...
    When reading this it is leading me to a few things. I could be wrong as I am not physically there to witness what is going on.

1. The areas where the defects are reappearing have not been worked enough or they are too deep for DAPS attachment to remove with a drill. Possibly needing to go with an actual dual action polisher to get better results.

2. With the DAPS, it needs to be held at a certain angle to have it work properly. The defects could be an issue with refining your technique with the DA drill attachment.

3. The towels are causing these defects when removing NXT. It is known as towel marring.

4. Has the area been repainted? The reason I ask is because repainted areas behave differently than factory paint.

Nicholas - Could you please elaborate a little about this.

TIA
    I'm not Nick but ultimate polish is rich in polishing oils. These polishing oils will darken the paint but they can also fill in defects. Now this does not meet it has fillers. The oils are there to act as a lubricant between the pad and painted surface. So it is possible that there is residual oils left behind by ultimate polish. This is why some of us use a prep wipe like IPA or a product similar to CarPro Eraser. These are intended to remove polishing oils. NXT has been said to hide defects as well as it is considered a polish wax. Not an abrasive polish ultimate polish.

Nick can elaborate a little more on this. I am giving you the non technical description.

I agree with Guz in his recommendation to use some kind of a quick detailer spray if possible when you are wiping the vehicle down. Also, if you aren't already doing this, be sure to switch to a clean part of the towel often. Otherwise you may be trapping dirt in your towel and scratching the paint with that. Since you said the scratches that are reappearing aren't deep, I'm wondering if perhaps this is what's happening. If it was a matter of polishing oils and NXT wax filling the scratches, I guess I'm surprised that the effects would go away that quickly.

Also, like he mentioned, wiping the paint carefully with isopropyl alcohol after using Ultimate Polish is a good way to make sure the swirls are indeed gone. I wouldn't necessarily wipe the whole vehicle down with it, but maybe do a portion to get a better idea of what you're working with. Be careful to use a soft cloth for this also to avoid marring the paint. I would personally recommend isopropyl alcohol diluted 1 part alcohol to 9 parts water. I'm not sure how IPA is sold where you are but here in the states it's sold diluted a few different ways so you may have to do some math to get it diluted to roughly 10%.

When you said they are reappearing, are the swirls reappearing or does it appear to be individual deeper scratches? I think the most important thing is to find out whether these are old scratches that are reappearing or whether they are new scratches. Then you can go about addressing the issue.

Your English is excellent, by the way!
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

1. The areas where the defects are reappearing have not been worked enough or they are too deep for DAPS attachment to remove with a drill. Possibly needing to go with an actual dual action polisher to get better results.
    I have plans to buy an actual dual action polisher but not now.

2. With the DAPS, it needs to be held at a certain angle to have it work properly. The defects could be an issue with refining your technique with the DA drill attachment.
    Yeah I noticed this because the hood looks much better then the trunk area. All done by me but maybe I was using different angles. Do you know of any articles or videos explaining this?

3. The towels are causing these defects when removing NXT. It is known as towel marring.
    I used microfiber when I was applying meguiars products but I will try to use microfiber now...

4. Has the area been repainted? The reason I ask is because repainted areas behave differently than factory paint.
    Nope, No accidents or repaints so far. Its all factory paint unless the dealership lied to me

I'm not Nick but ultimate polish is rich in polishing oils.
    Someone spending time, trying to solve my problem. I cant thank you enough

These polishing oils will darken the paint but they can also fill in defects. Now this does not meet it has fillers. The oils are there to act as a lubricant between the pad and painted surface. So it is possible that there is residual oils left behind by ultimate polish. This is why some of us use a prep wipe like IPA or a product similar to CarPro Eraser. These are intended to remove polishing oils. NXT has been said to hide defects as well as it is considered a polish wax. Not an abrasive polish ultimate polish.
    Yeah I will carefully inspect UC next time I use it. I need to remember that the scratches left after using UC is what I will get after a week or so.

Thanks

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
    I agree with Guz in his recommendation to use some kind of a quick detailer spray if possible when you are wiping the vehicle down. Also, if you aren't already doing this, be sure to switch to a clean part of the towel often. Otherwise you may be trapping dirt in your towel and scratching the paint with that. Since you said the scratches that are reappearing aren't deep, I'm wondering if perhaps this is what's happening. If it was a matter of polishing oils and NXT wax filling the scratches, I guess I'm surprised that the effects would go away that quickly.
    I have detailers spray that I used for claying but somehow I don't like the idea of using it on a dirty car. All that dust, getting wet and sticky, it feels like it will put more scratches. I need to try using it once though. I will give it a try today. The scratches I see now are not deep and I feel another pass of UC will probably get rid of them but I must resist the urge Just used it a week ago. Ive decided not to use it again for a few months. Or maybe try 105 after a year.

Also, like he mentioned, wiping the paint carefully with isopropyl alcohol after using Ultimate Polish is a good way to make sure the swirls are indeed gone. I wouldn't necessarily wipe the whole vehicle down with it, but maybe do a portion to get a better idea of what you're working with. Be careful to use a soft cloth for this also to avoid marring the paint. I would personally recommend isopropyl alcohol diluted 1 part alcohol to 9 parts water. I'm not sure how IPA is sold where you are but here in the states it's sold diluted a few different ways so you may have to do some math to get it diluted to roughly 10%.
    I will try to search for IPA.

When you said they are reappearing, are the swirls reappearing or does it appear to be individual deeper scratches? I think the most important thing is to find out whether these are old scratches that are reappearing or whether they are new scratches. Then you can go about addressing the issue.
    I was assuming with all the care Ive taken that these are old scratches but I think I will be able to tell the difference next time. I am planning to use different cloths on different areas to find out the root cause of these scratches.

Your English is excellent, by the way!
    Thanks, too many grammar nazis at my workplace got my confidence down

OCDetailer

Geeky: OT, but you don't have to apologize for your English. You write better than 98% of people on the internet!
    2017 Corvette GS - Long Beach Red
    2016 Ford Escape - Ruby red pearl
    2017 Chevrolet Volt - Iridescent pearl

Some look better than others....

Yeah I noticed this because the hood looks much better then the trunk area. All done by me but maybe I was using different angles. Do you know of any articles or videos explaining this?
    The pad basically has to be flat against the paint. Another thing to point out is that the pads need to be cleaned often. They load up fast with product and paint residue from compounding and polishing.

This is a good write up

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...yM8x9QSY11z.97

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...GVE8ZaQuFQJ.97

I used microfiber when I was applying meguiars products but I will try to use microfiber now...
    Did you mean you were using microfiber towels to wipe off the compound, polish and wax residue?

Registered Member

The pad basically has to be flat against the paint. Another thing to point out is that the pads need to be cleaned often. They load up fast with product and paint residue from compounding and polishing.

This is a good write up

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...yM8x9QSY11z.97

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...GVE8ZaQuFQJ.97

Did you mean you were using microfiber towels to wipe off the compound, polish and wax residue?
    Thanks for the links I will check them out.

I used Meguairs Supreme Shine microfibre to wipe off the compound, polish and wax residue and cotton terry towels to clean the dust that settles on the car every day.

Registered Member

You need a degrease spray to eliminate any polishing residue that can temporarily mask very fine imperfections.

1, sonax paint prepare / finish control is an aerosol based degrease / cleaning spray potent enough to strip sealant, wax contaminants and any polishing residuals. Great stuff but expensive.

2, menzerna top inspection is a simple , clear watery degrease spray .

And keep in mind, polish contain oils, which is greasy and can easily contaminate your MF towels.

Registered Member

Thanks for the links I will check them out.

I used Meguairs Supreme Shine microfibre to wipe off the compound, polish and wax residue and cotton terry towels to clean the dust that settles on the car every day.
    You should also use Microfiber to clean the dust that settles in the car every day as terry towels are typically more abrasive than microfiber. It's not clear if you used the terry towel by itself when cleaning daily dirt from your car. So make sure you use a quick detailer with it. Good Luck !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information