• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spray wax water spots removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray wax water spots removal

Hi - have a problem I need pro help with: An amateur detailer used a spray wax on the hood of my vintage (probably single-stage paint) car and with the heat from the engine compartment it has turned to spots that don't rub off with water and light hand pressure. Will simple polish remove this? Do I have to remove the wax somehow first? And any general advice on improving and maintaining the finish of this car? 1972 Jaguar with mostly original paint and some period panel repair.

Have photos but don't know where to load them...

Thanks!
    ACP

Re: Spray wax water spots removal

Here are pictures. Also I forgot to mention that the white spots are from raimwater plus engine heat. Not like hardwater sprinkler spots on top of the surface. You can't feel these.

Comment

Welcome to MOL.

A light polish should remove them. Locally you have access to either M205 or ultimate polish. Both can be used by hand with a foam applicator. A polish will remove any wax that is on the surface. You would want to follow up with a wax or synthetic wax to protect the paint afterwards.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks! That's encouraging! Obviously I'm new to this. Ordered ultimate polish and ultimate wax. Any other tips appreciated!

Comment

There're several methods worth trying. But since it's a classic jag it's always best to play safe but first you should closely inspect the spots, if they are just stubborn stains they should appear to be 'on top' and above the paint surface . But if the spots appear to be etched into the paint then nothing short of a polish can remove them.

1, use meguair's glass cleaner or any liquid dish washing detergent , spray some onto a MF towel and gently rub on the waterspots. Do NOT apply too much pressure. Wash afterwards.

2, Carpro spotless spray, simply follow the instructions and it'll work like magic.

Comment

Maintaining classic cars is very tricky because apart from simple single stage some upper market cars also used exotic painting methods. And easily deteriorated parts can be hard to come by so Protection is the first priority.

The first thing would be to find a paint shop and have all the panels measured by a depth gauge, and have a professional to determine the exact type of the paint. So you can know where to start and how far you can go.

when polishing always try the mild one first and apply protection immediately afterwards, one single layer of organic wax is not enough, apply a layer of polymer based sealant first , and then your choice of wax on top for the extra shine.

i once had a beautiful, beautiful S1 3.8 , I loved it so much that I parked it on a plinth (I really mean it, a plinth) in my garage and only take it out on a very very fine day when there's no smog, no chance of rain and very early during the weekends. Until one day some yobbo in a M3 trying to overtake chipped my windshield . I simply can not stand it, one single mistake and it ruined all my efforts. so I sold the car and became a road raging hater ever since......and I find bimmers particularly annoying...

Comment

Welcome, ACP! Sounds like Guz has pointed you in the correct direction. In my opinion, if you are using as light of a polish as Ultimate Polish you should not have to worry about paint thickness. Ultimate Polish has a pretty light cut. I hate to say you never would have to worry about paint thickness because there would be the one person that would try it on a rotary with a wool pad. But by hand or by DA I would save the step of having paint thickness tested.
              Lydia's Mobile Detailing
              Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
              2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Before going towards the method that Guz mentioned with polishing, I would try just using more spray wax to try and wipe it off.

Like dissolves like generally. If it doesn't address it, then polish.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');