• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wet sanding my bmw 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wet sanding my bmw 2015

hi everyone
    lots of detailers told me not to wet sand my black bmw saying the clear coat is too thin ,well im not one to take that so i did it myself wow i am amazed how easy it was so if you want to sand it just do it here are the steps i did
    1 wash and clay the car
    2 trizac 3000 3m sanding disks with soft backing plate rupes bigfoot , sanded every panel until was gray and couldnt see any darker spots
    3 green pad 3m with presta ultra cutting cream light (2 buffs per panel)
    4 meguirs 105 with meguirs micro fiber cutting disks working really slow it has removed 100% of sanding marks giving a perfect glass look finish
    5 panel wiped panels down
    6 applied my ceramic coating (84% pure water angle 122 degrees)and baked on with inferred light

i now have a super shiny black bmw without all that orange peal and can sleep on a night knowing its done , its taken about 40 hours but well worth it just dont let people try to scare you into not sanding your car its really not as scary as most make out as i am not a pro just a weekend warrior so if i can do it anyone can sorry no pics but i dont know how to upload on here as it just asks for a link

Re: wet sanding my bmw 2015

Well technically clear coats are thin as Mike Phillips has written in this article

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips The majority of cars being manufactured today and starting since the 1980's use what's called a basecoat/clearcoa

But glad things worked out for you and that you had great results wet sanding. Post some photos for us to see.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

hi guz , i do think the clear coat is thin but no risk no reward it was worth the risk , i will take some pics tomorrow

Comment

Did you have a paint gauge to tell you how much paint you started with and then ended with?
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

I was going to use one ,then thought if I'm going to burn the paint It will prob happen so I just went by eye , just doing a few passes then checking my work if I could still see darker spots I would do it again until they were gone

Comment

I'd like to see pictures too. Please post.
            Brad Mower
            SLC, UT

Comment

ill get better ones soon

Comment

Why are my pics not showing , anyone know.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');