Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

          
  1. #1
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    5

    Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

    I realize that Paint Protect, and now Ultimate Fast Finish, are Meguiar’s top of the line products for long term durability, for protecting your paint.

    My question is—how would the quality of protection of either of those products, stack up against the protection offered by GC Carnuba, or Ultimate Wax? That is to say, if I were to re-apply either of these waxes every 1-2 months, would my paint be better protected, than if I were to simply apply Paint Protect or Ultimate Fast Finish, and use nothing more for the next 6 months?

    Am I sacrificing quality for quantity? I would rather wax my cars every month or two, if it meant having a stronger layer of protection on top of my paint, then using Paint Protect or Ultimate Fast Finish once or twice a year.

  2. #2
    Michael The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,946
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

    You could always use a spray wax like ultimate quik wax or D156 every week, bi-weekly or monthly to maintain whatever form of protection you use.

  3. #3
    Registered Member Top Gear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Carolinas
    Posts
    842
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    My question is—how would the quality of protection of either of those products, stack up against the protection offered by GC Carnuba, or Ultimate Wax? That is to say, if I were to re-apply either of these waxes every 1-2 months, would my paint be better protected, than if I were to simply apply Paint Protect or Ultimate Fast Finish, and use nothing more for the next 6 months?
    I think I know what you're asking, prr, and I've tried it in a similar way.

    The quality of protection itself is, IMHO, going to be far better with a machine-applied wax, then a hand-applied wax second, and spray products a very distant third. This is not a slight on spray products at all, and I use GCQW and UWWA/D115 lovingly and regularly. Sure, you might get better results from PP or UFF rather than xQW or UWWA, but I'm skeptical on that (because you still have to clean the vehicle). I have to apply spray protection pretty much every few days, depending on Southeast weather. Even then, they are simply not being "soaked" or worked in like a main wax usually is, or applied as thick as a main wax, and they cannot do what a full polish and wax does over time.
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

  4. #4
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gear View Post
    I think I know what you're asking, prr, and I've tried it in a similar way.
    Have you tried comparing GC Carnuba or Ultimate Wax, to Paint Protect (or even UFF)?

  5. #5
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You could always use a spray wax like ultimate quik wax or D156 every week, bi-weekly or monthly to maintain whatever form of protection you use.
    Guz, if I had a nickel every time you told me to use Ult Quik Wax, I'd have a quarter.... or maybe even 50 cents.

    One of these days I might even try it out, but I'm still thinking I should just apply a good wax, then wash only until its time for a new wax. Applying one more product sounds like more work, while I'm trying to eliminate it. The other thing is that both my cars are outdoors 24/7, no garage, no parking garage, no nothing, and so any shine I get is going to be very short lived, buried under a thin layer of dust. That's why I'm more interested in protection, than maintaining a shiny appearance.

  6. #6
    Registered Member Top Gear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Carolinas
    Posts
    842
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    Have you tried comparing GC Carnuba or Ultimate Wax, to Paint Protect (or even UFF)?
    I've had no reason to do so, as I've described. Ignoring marketing claims, PP seems as much work/time to apply as simply re-waxing, and being so thin, it couldn't last all that long in the real world of weather where I live. Even if it did last longer than spray waxing, I've seen pictures of its finish and don't think it will "look" right for me - and besides, the car still gets dirty, doesn't it?? So, since I still have to clean the car regularly, the problem of maintenance is exactly the same, and even PP will simply wash and weather away. Like you said, you like re-waxing every month or two, as do I, so I don't see the point of PP or UFF when I still have to clean every few days or so as needed. Maybe I'm missing a trick, but the concept of PP/UFF seems like a lot of counter-productive work given the regular weather ups-and-downs in my region, and the resulting cleaning/detailing. Haven't seen UFF in stores, or any detailed info on it yet, as I have with PP. Lastly, neither product fits with my whole carnauba/DAMF thing I've got going on

    If you're that curious and have the time, why not make the comparison yourself? If something works for you, that's great. Make a thread here and tell us all about it
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

  7. #7
    Registered Member BillyJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    690
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

    I have 3 DD's I care for. All are parked outside 24/7. Two (wife's Cruze and daughter's Fit) get washed sporadically, especially in winter. I've done PP365 on both and though it's only been a month, I'm very pleased so far. Beading is still excellent and they're almost self-cleaning when it rains. As I mentioned in my original post, http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...3PZxAj4bbxI.97 , I don't care if it doesn't last an entire year; I'm just looking to get thru the winter.
    For my own DD, a black Lacrosse, I'm still going the conventional route, with a couple coats of sealant and regular rinseless washes with D156/UQW or Aquawax as a drying aid. I enjoy playing with different waxes and polishes on the Lacrosse and will likely continue to do so, but there's just not enough time (or energy) to keep up 3 DD's, not to mention my garage queen El Camino, so PP365 or the new Fast Finish will likely be my long term future for both the women's cars.


    Bill

  8. #8
    Michael The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,946
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

    I will have to fix my post later but Bill has a good approach.

  9. #9
    Registered Member rst08tierney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    265
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    I have 3 DD's I care for. All are parked outside 24/7. Two (wife's Cruze and daughter's Fit) get washed sporadically, especially in winter. I've done PP365 on both and though it's only been a month, I'm very pleased so far. Beading is still excellent and they're almost self-cleaning when it rains. As I mentioned in my original post, http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...3PZxAj4bbxI.97 , I don't care if it doesn't last an entire year; I'm just looking to get thru the winter.
    For my own DD, a black Lacrosse, I'm still going the conventional route, with a couple coats of sealant and regular rinseless washes with D156/UQW or Aquawax as a drying aid. I enjoy playing with different waxes and polishes on the Lacrosse and will likely continue to do so, but there's just not enough time (or energy) to keep up 3 DD's, not to mention my garage queen El Camino, so PP365 or the new Fast Finish will likely be my long term future for both the women's cars.


    Bill
    I'm a huge fan of coatings for daily drivers.

    After a solid correction and coating your good for years depending on the brand you buy. Noting like that freshly waxed look and feel with zero effort after a basic wash.

  10. #10
    Registered Member BillyJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    690
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

    Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    I'm a huge fan of coatings for daily drivers.

    After a solid correction and coating your good for years depending on the brand you buy. Noting like that freshly waxed look and feel with zero effort after a basic wash.
    I had OptiCoat on my daughter's Fit and it served well for 2 years. My only issue beside the cost was the small quantity, which didn't allow much for repairs later to recoat any areas that I had to correct from scratches, scuffs etc. If the new Meguiar's product can get me to a twice-yearly process with repairs as needed, it would be my preference.

    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish
    By Meguiar's Inc. in forum 2017 New Products - Product Discussion
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: Jun 24th, 2017, 07:27 AM
  2. New member help! Question about Paint Protect & Ultimate Paste Wax!
    By DiabloX22 in forum Consumer Line - Product Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov 13th, 2016, 11:19 AM
  3. Paint Protect 365 vs Ultimate Wax vs M21 Behavior Test
    By The Guz in forum Consumer Line - Product Reviews
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: Jan 1st, 2016, 02:33 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jun 18th, 2012, 09:17 AM
  5. gold class carnuba wax and ultimate wash and wax questions
    By gamtnroadie in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul 31st, 2011, 07:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •