• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Prep-trying out Meguiar's Paint Protect 365

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Prep-trying out Meguiar's Paint Protect 365

We've had a mild fall in PA so far, but turning the calendar page to November always brings out the concerns of preparing for Winter in the DD fleet. First up this past weekend was the wife`s Cruze. It`s parked outside 24/7 and gets washed very infrequently during the winter. Typically, I use some combination of DG, FK and Collinite. Based on some recent forum discussions, I decided to try Meguiar`s PP 365. Her car had been polished a few months ago with M205, then waxed with DG 501/601, so no other prep other than a thorough washing and drying was done. I poured it in a 2 oz. spray bottle and still had some remaining at the end. Only one light spray per panel was needed on a yellow applicator, applying in a crosshatch pattern for complete coverage.
    My impressions:
    • The directions say to wipe off after 3-5 minutes. Since I was working in 60 degree or less temps at night, I waited for about 20-30 minutes instead and that seemed to work fine.
    • Even though there isn`t much residue to wipe, switching towels often is necessary. I used three 16x24 Meg`s Supreme Shine towels, as they seemed to work better than some of the plusher towels I often use for wax removal.
    • Leaving it set up overnight, the surface was amazingly slick the next morning, more so than any wax or sealant I`ve used. Based on how slick it was, I did the door jambs also. Maybe the combo of PP365 on the jambs and Sonax Gummi Phledger on the weatherstrips will keep the doors from sticking through the nasty part of winter.
    • No care is needed where the paint abuts plastics. The plastic trim at the wiper cowl and around the doors and mirrors all got a bit darker and picked up some gloss.
    • Since PP365 has some solvent content (the label says Stoddard Solvent, similar to mineral spirits), it will clean off any residue left from previous waxes around emblems, seams, or in my case, the gas door opening.
    • Comments have been posted about the lack of gloss, compared to a good polish and wax application. IMO, PP365 does just fine for gloss, especially considering I`m quite willing to trade off shine for protection during this time of year. Check the random pics below for an indication of how it looks now. We`ll see how all it holds up with time and I`ll post some updates.

Bill

Re: Winter Prep-trying out Meguiar's Paint Protect 365

Looks good to me. Paint Protect 365 is a mystery to me, I haven't seen much of it here even in retail stores carrying meguiar's products. I'm a bit hesitant to try it, I'm just a little bit weary about the "adjustments" (cure time, or not washing the car for a week for optimum curing and that it might not be as shiny or glossy as traditional waxes/sealants) needed upon initial use.

Comment

Originally posted by ffboy View Post
      Looks good to me. Paint Protect 365 is a mystery to me, I haven't seen much of it here even in retail stores carrying meguiar's products. I'm a bit hesitant to try it, I'm just a little bit weary about the "adjustments" (cure time, or not washing the car for a week for optimum curing and that it might not be as shiny or glossy as traditional waxes/sealants) needed upon initial use.
      I had a tough time finding it locally as well. I finally found it at Pep Boys. I let it cure for almost 24 hours inside, then moved it out. We got some rain 3 days later, and of course the beading was great. The gloss is very good, very reflective, just not possessing the "glow" of a good wax. As I stated, the most impressive quality of PP365 is the slickness, just insane, even after a week outside. This is my wife's car, which stays parked outside and gets washed in winter only when we get a mild weather spell. I don't care if it doesn't last 365 days. Just get me to spring and I'll be happy.
      We'll see how it goes.

Bill

Comment

Looks like the car turned out nice OP. I think you'll enjoy PP365 for the longevity.

Originally posted by ffboy View Post
        I don't think you should be hesitant to try it out. In general, do you wash your car more than once a week anyways?

As far as the lack of gloss... I call BS. That comes down to prep work. The product does add a touch of gloss, but its not a product that is targeted at amazing gloss, but amazing longevity.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');