• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car & trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car & trailer

Just bought a new Ford Flex in White Platinum (metallic white). I know not real sporty but ideal for our retirement trip car. We also got a lightweight travel trailer to make wandering around easier. What would be the best wax to use on its virgin surface? I have the little DA Power System (the one that goes in a drill) but would prefer to hand apply since there is no oxidation or flaws to remove. I'd Like to have it last a year (outside parking) but can do some monthly/bi-monthly touch up with a spray wax.
    The trailer has gelcoat sidewalls. I always used Starbrite with PTEF (******) on our boats with good results. Does anyone know how the Meguiar's boat wax compares?
    Thanks

Re: New car & trailer

The longest lasting wax I ever used is collinite #416, the manufacturer's claim is up to 12 months. On my girlfriend's daily driver which is poorly maintained (aggressive car wash, no QD) it can last upwards of 5 months and still show some beading effect.

To last a year on a car parked outside is a very tall order. So if you're really after protection, use a good polymer based paint sealant, and then collinite 416, and a periodic layer of UPW or liquid wax every 3 months. This should give you excellent protection for at least 6 months plus the shine of premium wax.

Comment

Re: New car & trailer

You will find good results with Meguiars Ultimate wax. I prefer the liquid version myself. Easy on, easy off. I feel it holds up a year well, but my cars are garaged at night, but they do sit out during the day. With treatments of a quick detailer and quick wax throughout the year, you should be able to get them by. I do try to do two waxes a year, spring and fall right before winter, but with a busy life, the spring wax doesn't always get done. I also use the same thing on my trailer with similar walls and it wears well on it too, but it to is stored most of the year.
      2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
      2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
      2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');