• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4-Step Correction: Compound, Pre-Polish, Polish, Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Step Correction: Compound, Pre-Polish, Polish, Wax

I've mentioned this 4-Step idea in several other threads, but I just did a re-correction after going some 6 months with nothing but UWWA/GCQW maintenance, so thought I'd put it to the test again. Sorry, I don't have new pictures because they look the same as previous shots (see my gallery linked in my sig for more).

First, due to a recent road trip, I'd washed the car via pressure washers a couple of times in a week, and felt like I could get away without bucket washing. I'd cleaned up the paint with UWWA, then prior to doing the correction, just wiped down with some watered down QD to dust each section as I went.

Also, I've given up on claying the whole car - not because it doesn't work, but because it is SO much work I followed the steps below for regular sections and for larger groups, such as the hood, fenders, roof, doors, etc. The settings below refer to a Porter Cable machine.

Step 1: Mirror Glaze M101, DAMF Xtra-Cut Disc, Speed 5 and 6 (Full Cutting & Powered Claying)

Sound aggressive?? Not really, not on diamond-hard paint that won't respond. This combo quickly scours and cleans, and of course, cuts very nicely. M101 is the most aggressive product Meguiar's makes by far, and on an Xtra-Cut MF pad, you might be scared to even turn the machine on, but I've learned to trust it, because amazing things happen. I use a cheap MF "rag" to remove, repeat, etc, as needed, mainly because the surface can still be grimy and I don't want to stain my SS towels. This doubles as "powered claying" for those of us who don't have as much time (or anti-inflammatories) as we'd like to devote to endless hours of claying.

Step 2: Detailer D300, DAMF Cutting Disc, Speed 5 (Pre-Polish & Blue Re-Tone)

Isn't this a second compound?? Yes, it is, and quite a good one. It's not aggressive enough for my paint, but boy, does it finish beautifully, very much a polish in its own right (it was designed to be a compound-polish). I make sure to switch to an SS towel to remove, and the polishing oils in D300 are already a huge payoff. Because I'm going for the DAMF "Blue" look, I also need to use D300 to tone down the silver/white finish of M101 in Step 1. If you can't see the difference in full sun, don't worry. On dark paints in lower lights, it's stunning how good DAMF can look, and for my money, I'd never get there with Ultimate/Mirror Glaze, Gold Class, NXT, Deep Crystal, etc. Anyway, by now the finish looks corrected and polished.

Step 3: Detailer D302, DAMF Finishing Disc, Speed 4 (Jewel Polish)

Why also use a polish?? Because D302 is a fantastic, creamy, luxurious step that your paint (and eyes) will love. Yes, DAMF is based on a 2-Step process (D300-D301), but Meguiar's added this polish for a reason. I take it easy on this step and try to "jewel" the finish, perhaps repeating for some areas. You're done trying to cut or correct, so this is adding that extra umph and X-factor, soaking those oils deep into the finish. The effect is jaw-dropping in terms of image clarity, deep protection, and the finish. Indeed, it is this polished finish that your waxing and spray waxing is meant to protect over time. Don't skip the true polish step for a full correction. I might even use the same SS towel as in Step 1, using towel management.

Step 4: Detailer D301, DAMF Finishing Disc, Speed 4 (Wax & Wipe)

Isn't this a cleaner-wax?? Yes, and one of the very best waxes around of any kind, IMO. D301 is a super-forgiving carnauba-enriched wax, and with the purple color/scent and final "DAMF Blue" cast, puts the perfect cap on this 4-Step process of making a crazy-nice finish on dark paint. One of the best features of D301 is that it does not need to dry or cure at all, and should be wiped off immediately. I still use the same SS towel as in Steps 1 and 2 with towel management to make the point - the residue of DAMF products should be minimal and very easy to remove. You really can do a whole correction with one towel.

The finished result, as you might see in some of my photos (see my gallery), is really best appreciated in person. Photos can't really capture the effect, particularly in low-light, "gas station" light, and so forth. Those of you with dark paint who use DAMF know what I'm talking about

Maintenance and Washing

For me, regular Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere/D115 and Gold Class Quik Wax, along with occasional bucket washing with a mix of Ultimate Wash & Wax and Gold Class Shampoo, are the best and easiest ways to maintain this finish. There is no Meguiar's quik wax or waterless spray that perfectly matches the "DAMF Blue" look I've talked about, since Detailer D156 Synthetic X-press is essentially UQW, just more of that "Ultimate White/Silver" look. Gold Class Quik Wax is yellowish, of course, but at least is loaded with carnauba, and that is the more important factor in maintaining the carnauba finish of D301. Ideally, I'd repeat Step 4 monthly or so, but life can get in the way, and I'll go many months sometimes, by then needing the full 4 Steps again, because the polish starts to wear away, even with very regular use of GCQW.

Lastly, keep in mind, the DAMF Blue look is very subtle compared to Ultimate, Gold Class/M26, etc, and on some paints, might be imperceptible.

I hope these tips helps someone out there
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

Re: 4-Step Correction: Compound, Pre-Polish, Polish, Wax

It's been over three weekends since I re-corrected using the above. After a new set of tires at the shop, a regional trip, and mixed in there two weeks of commuting to work, I did a bucket wash with a combination of Gold Class and UWW (awesome combo, btw), then followed with GCQW. The next day, Saturday, and with no detailing at all for this shot, mind you, I was out running errands, and these parking lines caught my eye at one of my stops. This is just a random shot, but with a new phone/camera from my other shots. I hope it shows how after three full weeks of doing almost nothing to the finish (because it had not rained), the DAMF 4-Step finish still looks liquid and stunning and protected, with only one bucket wash and some GCQW touch-up the day before.

Thanks, Meguiar's

Comment

Looks excellent!
      I'm right there with you on the M101 bandwagon. Believe it or not the paint on my car is just as hard as yours and it doesn't even have clearcoat on it! Ultimate Compound won't even make a dent in a scratch that I can't even catch my fingernail in. When I was getting ready to put it away for the winter I noticed a little 1/2" scratch on the nose of my car. no problem. A little M101 on a microfiber towel, followed by UP and finished with GCLW and done.
      This pic was taken at a huge All Pontiac show in Sept. and my car won 1st in its class. (=
      1978 Special Edition Bandit Trans Am
      Rolling billboard for Meguiars Gold Class Products

Comment

Yes, I know the feeling. Lots of work, even with MF pads on the machine, and getting very little cut with most compounds. M101 is the best, but even it has limits in some cases. At that point, it's wet-sanding

Comment

to many polishes in my opinion, you can get the same results from a two step

Comment

Not really, for a full-deal once or twice a year correction, anyway. I've done just the 2-Step (D300-D301), but it's missing something, which is that "jeweling" step with no strong abrasiveness (D302), and also, a real cutting step, too - hence 4 with M101. Not saying there's no reason to do just the 2, especially if I were doing corrections more often. Also, if I were just patching an area on an already corrected finish, like say a chip or something, then yes, the 2-Step might be all I'd need. Also, I usually do even a 1-Step (D301 more aggressively) for a simple re-wax.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');