• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Cross Country Drive Detail - 2009 VW CC - Bonus M305 Content!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Cross Country Drive Detail - 2009 VW CC - Bonus M305 Content!

Every year I drive from Denver Colorado to Ocean City Maryland for a car show. Late July I decided I wanted to finish my CC the way I wanted it done and have it ready for the show. Lots of suspension upgrades, swapped to different air ride management, new wheels, big brake kit, and have the front end resprayed/ added the factory R-Line body kit to the car. All of this needed to be done by September 26th so I could leave.

Everything went well other than getting the car back from paint in time. I had no time to detail the car prior to the trip. The car was picked up from the body shop at 5PM on September 28th, and I had wheels swapped over and car packed by 9PM that day. Drove all night to get to my Buddy's house in St Louis and handed him the keys from there.

We made the trip in 28 hours total. (Thank you Valentine One). The show was a blast, and grabbed some cool pics of the car

The trip is around 4000 miles total. So as you can imagine, the car took a beating from the miles and was filthy afterwards. BUT I couldn't apply anything to the fresh paint... OR could I? M305 to the rescue.

Anyways on to the actual pictures and such of the post H2Oi show cleanup.

Started with wheels and tires. Adams Deep Wheel Cleaner doing the heavy lifting of getting the brake dust taken care of (Holy **** is there a lot from the new brakes, even with a low dust pad). And Megs D143 for tires. Wheel woolies, and various brushes used to get them clean.

Gotta make sure you get the brake calipers clean too!

Wheel liners were cleaned up with D101@10:1 and wheel woolies used again for this. Dressed with Hyper Dressing @ 3:1Sorry no pics of that.

Bay was just dusty, so I hit it with D101@10:1 and a few brushes, then dressed with Hyper Dressing @ 3:1.

No real pics of washing the car either. but I am sure you guys know what that process looks like by now.
    2 Bucket method with Grit Guards. Megs D110 Hyper wash used on the car.

Since this was fresh paint I had to be careful to use products that won't hinder the paint from outgassing properly.
    D114 was used as a clay lube and a drying agent.

Afterwards M305 was applied to the whole car for protection while the paint outgasses. The product was a bit difficult to get used to at first. It requires more product than say a liquid wax or sealant for coverage. It is pretty easy to remove after it dries.

The paint looks good, but I will be compounding it out and fixing a few rock chips that I got on the trip. I want a bit more clarity out of the clear.

Tires were dressed with Adam's Tire Shine. All trim was dressed with D163.

Here is the final results:

I will do a follow up with the M305 to see longevity out of it. You may see a bit of a write up as well for when I polish the paint on the car... it could definitely use it.

Re: Post Cross Country Drive Detail - 2009 VW CC - Bonus M305 Content!

Looks great. That is a long drive.

The new additions look sweet.

I'm in the process of using M305 myself. Just got my car back after a full repaint. Slowly getting some things back on the car but so far I agree with you on M305.

FYI I PMed Nick about some question I had about M305. He mentioned that there is no need to let it dry. Simply apply and remove. Seems to be working very well doing that. Should help you the next time you use it.

Are you going to coat the wheels? That would make it so much easier to clean.

Any future plans on whether or not you are going to coat the entire car. Or will you be sticking with a sealant.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
      Looks great. That is a long drive.

The new additions look sweet.

I'm in the process of using M305 myself. Just got my car back after a full repaint. Slowly getting some things back on the car but so far I agree with you on M305.

FYI I PMed Nick about some question I had about M305. He mentioned that there is no need to let it dry. Simply apply and remove. Seems to be working very well doing that. Should help you the next time you use it.

Are you going to coat the wheels? That would make it so much easier to clean.

Any future plans on whether or not you are going to coat the entire car. Or will you be sticking with a sealant.

Thanks!

I'm curious to see how M305 holds up over the next couple months while I wait for the paint to finish out gassing. Maybe you and I should start a discussion thread on the product and get Nick involved to help get some information about it out there. Usage, etc.

I am planning on coating the wheels. I applied Car-Pro Essence to them and topped them with Reload before the trip. Just a mater of having the time. I will post up a couple of pics of the wheels. The guy that did the coating work did an excellent job. Inner barrels coated gloss black, lips polished and then clear over top.

I will also be coating this car. I'm to the point with it where it doesn't physically fit in my garage and I would rather just coat it and not have to touch it for a while. Just need to wait out the fresh paint for now. I'm on the fence about either hitting the car with denim pads or wet sanding out the orange peel prior to coating. I need to get a PTG on it first though to see how much paint I actually have to play with.

Comment

I am curious to hear how it performs for you as well given that we are in different parts of the country and you actually see seasonal weather.

A discussion thread sounds good. There doesn't seem to be much info on M305 to say how to really use it.

Is the orange peel that bad or is it something you can live with?

I know you are a Car Pro guy when it comes to a coating. Is that what you are going to go with? I saw a couple of guys on Auto Geek using cquartz UK topped with cquartz classic.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Yes, the seasonal weather factor is going to be interesting for sure. I'll be seeing snow and mag chloride in the next month or so. you've got that perfect Cali fall weather :P

I'll start a thread and just keep updating the OP with info as we go like a FAQ type post.

Its not the worst I've seen. But the factory paint on the doors, orange peel is very noticeable. And up the a-pillar as well. As far as the front end and parts that were painted, they are decent. Just didn't get much of a buff because I was pushing the shop to finish the car quickly. orange peel matches say the roof or trunk on the front end. Same as before really.

im up in the air about which coating at this point. I will likely be going for more of a gloss factor with it rather than protection. Car-pro generally falls into that category, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Escense with Cquartz classic has been doing well for me lately.
          Mostly for the lazy factor with Escense. The Audi Coupe I did over the summer I did this. Not sure if I posted pics of that anywhere.

Comment

The denim pads would probably work. There was a guy on Autopia that used them on his Jeep SRT and it looked pretty good.

Here's a reference of a guy that did a triple coat of gloss coat over essence. It has a lot of gloss. I am going to try 3 coats as I have been doing 2 myself.

This is the guy that has done the Cquartz combo. Not the best photos but maybe it will give you a better idea.

First time posting in the show n shine so be nice. Using my personal account at the moment but will probably change this user name over to my business

I believe Zach McGovern has posted some vehicles with GTechniq CSL on Autogeek and it looks pretty good as well. Exo on top looks awesome on it as well. The water behavior is crazy with that combo. I am debating between this or Gloss Coat on my Grand Prix.

Curious as to which way you go when you get to that point.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

I've read through the thread with the black SRT8 a few times now. Actually where I got the idea from.

Thanks for the links. I will take a look through those.

The Gtechniq stuff always had mixed reviews, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to people not knowing how to apply the product and messing it up or what exactly.

When I do make the decision on which way I go, I will be doing a full writeup.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');