• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound is amazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound is amazing

Have been a novice weekend detailer for about 12 years and finally decided to step it up a notch and do some machine polishing. I bought a Porter Cable about 10 years ago but never really used it because I found it difficult to use, heavy and it vibrated a lot. I attended Meguiars awesome beginner Saturday class a month ago and got great hands on experience with their polisher. I ended up purchasing a polisher from a diffirent manufacturer, but bought the Ultimate Compound and Polish. I finally use the compound this weekend and the results were astounding. It really cleaned the paint and brightened it up. It did such a great job that I saw no need to go to Polish and went straight to wax. The car was my wife's 2005 White Accord. I have a picture to attach but I have no idea how to do that. It appears I need to have it online somewhere first.

Re: Ultimate Compound is amazing

Which polisher did you buy? The main issue I have with my current polisher (Meguiar's G110) is vibration. Now granted, I don't use it quite often but am always listening for ideas about other people specially if they have found out one that vibrates less.

Comment

I purchased a DAS-6 pro plus from aliexpress.com. It was $138 shipped. It is orange and I've read through research that it is built by the same company who builds the Griot's Garage Boss line of polishers. One thing I'll give Meguiars credit to is their line of polishing pads, as they are awesome. This polisher that I bought is very well balanced and smooth operating. I also handled the Meguiars MT300 and that thing is awesome as well.

Comment

The vibration is the result of the dual-action...well...action. The machine is trying to spin in eccentric circles, but the spindle action makes it vibrate if there's not enough spin. However, if you're not getting any spin at all to the pad, you're pressing too hard and/or don't have it turned up enough and/or have a soaked pad that's grabbing the surface too much. If the pad never spins, you're just fooling yourself by spreading polish and wax.
        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
          The vibration is the result of the dual-action...well...action. The machine is trying to spin in eccentric circles, but the spindle action makes it vibrate if there's not enough spin. However, if you're not getting any spin at all to the pad, you're pressing too hard and/or don't have it turned up enough and/or have a soaked pad that's grabbing the surface too much. If the pad never spins, you're just fooling yourself by spreading polish and wax.
          Great point TG. I have gone to cleaning my pads before moving to another section (compound 2 x 2 ft square, wipe, clean pad, move to next section). I don't have enough pads yet to change them that frequently, and it becomes almost a type of meditation (Zen again), with the rhythmic movements and relaxing pace. It takes longer, but this is more like therapy with a shiny vehicle as an outcome.
          2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Originally posted by billddrummer View Post
            Great point TG. I have gone to cleaning my pads before moving to another section (compound 2 x 2 ft square, wipe, clean pad, move to next section). I don't have enough pads yet to change them that frequently, and it becomes almost a type of meditation (Zen again), with the rhythmic movements and relaxing pace. It takes longer, but this is more like therapy with a shiny vehicle as an outcome.
            Used UC today with my DA orbiter (H/F) to remove stage Il water spots. Heavy pressure at 5-6 on the body, 3-4 on trim. Took 2-3 passes to remove the spots. I believe I got over 95%. Then finished with 2 coats of UPW. Looks great.

Next I will have to learn the timer schedule for the sprinklers and be ready with a towel.
            2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

I recently purchased myself the Griot's Garage 6 inch random orbital polisher on Amazon for about $150. I am new to detailing cars, and got inspired from watching many videos from AmmoNYC on YouTube.

I bought the three Meguiar's product, in early October 2016, to use on my cars and you can see the improvements afterwards: Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, and Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax.
              My 1999 Honda Accord has about 200,000 miles, and after using these products, majority of the scratches are less noticeable. Additionally, the paint's shine is back and I'm still impressed. I'd like to note that I've never detailed my car this much since I've owned it for the past 6 years.

To those who are on the debating if it's worth buying the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, I recommend it. If you do, I recommend picking up the Griot's Garage 6 inch random orbital polisher too if you're looking to bringing back the shine. Not only that, but Griot's Garage "...cover everything we sell with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and Lifetime Guarantee against defect..."

Happy detailing everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by billddrummer View Post
                Used UC today with my DA orbiter (H/F) to remove stage Il water spots. Heavy pressure at 5-6 on the body, 3-4 on trim. Took 2-3 passes to remove the spots. I believe I got over 95%. Then finished with 2 coats of UPW. Looks great.

Next I will have to learn the timer schedule for the sprinklers and be ready with a towel.
                try carpro spotless waterspot remover, it's a solvent of some sort , quite toxic judging by all the warnings on the bottle but so far it has not caused any issues on the CC of my harsh chems test panels (merc metallic hard paint and Audi pearl effect) and it's able to remove sun baked spots that were over 2 months old with just a spray two MF wipes, almost too good to be true.

Comment

On the other hand UC is brilliant removing oxidation and minor to medium defects, but not sure why it's not very compatible with my MF pads, maybe due to the usually more abrasive nature of most MF pads , it'll leave a light haze behind and sometimes minor holograms that require another pass with mild polish on foam pad .

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');