• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange Buildup on Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Buildup on Pads

I just picked up a nice certified pre-owned car this weekend. It had some swirl marks and minor scratches that I started to work on yesterday with my DA and Ultimate Compound. When I worked on the first section of the roof, I noticed the pad getting discolored. I worked the next section and when I stopped and lifted there were some gray balls of material that looked something like clay. I put on a new pad and continued to work but the same buildup was happening on my pad. When I went to wash the pads the buildup on the pad would not wash out with just water like Ultimate Compound normally does. No amount of water would make it come out. Then I put a some Dawn dish soap on the pad I could fairly easily get it clean. I've never seen anything like this. Could it be wax build up that the DA is working off? Should I wash the car completely with something like Dawn to strip the old wax (or whatever it is) off before polishing?

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

When I get what you have described is when the pad has too much product, pad not being cleaned properly or has been over worked.

Comment

Re: Strange Buildup on Pads

Originally posted by Cypresswill View Post
      When I get what you have described is when the pad has too much product, pad not being cleaned properly or has been over worked.
      Thanks for your reply. I first thought the same thing. However, I knew I hadn't used very much product. Also, the buildup would not wash off with water like the Ultimate Compound normally would. That's why I'm convinced it is something on the car.

Bryan

Comment

How much polishing did you do with the pad? Upload some pictures for us to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Cypresswill View Post
          How much polishing did you do with the pad? Upload some pictures for us to see.
          It was several pads and each was clean before I started. The same thing happened on each pad after working two or three 2x2 sections. I wish I had thought to take pictures. Maybe I'll try to replicate it when I get a chance, since I didn't finish the car.

Comment

Did you clay the car?

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
              Did you clay the car?
              I did not myself. However, I don't know what the dealer did before I got it. I can't imagine that clay stays on the car when you clay it because it's job is to take contaminates off, but that is just my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by bryandlewis View Post
                ... I can't imagine that clay stays on the car when you clay it because it's job is to take contaminates off, but that is just my guess.
                You're right, clay takes stuff off. And if any is left behind due to insufficient lube you'll see it as smears and streaks.

I ask because any gunk that fell on the finish at the dealership (and before since it's pre-owned) will still be there until you clay it.

Compounds are designed to work paint, not random gooey fallout and crud. That's why it's always a good idea to clay before compounding and polishing.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
                  You're right, clay takes stuff off. And if any is left behind due to insufficient lube you'll see it as smears and streaks.

I ask because any gunk that fell on the finish at the dealership (and before since it's pre-owned) will still be there until you clay it.

Compounds are designed to work paint, not random gooey fallout and crud. That's why it's always a good idea to clay before compounding and polishing.
                  Good point. The stuff isn't "gooey", but I wasn't thinking it was fallout because the car was "detailed" by the dealer. Here are some pictures. Just worked a couple sections and I got similar results, but not as pronounced on the pad. But I did get these little "balls" that built up on the pad. The one picture is one "ball" on the pad, the same crumbling ball in my fingers so you understand the size. Then I worked one section of the hood again and when I lifted the DA these four little balls (picture 3) were left on the hood where I stopped the DA.

Comment

Looks like the nerf pad is disintegrating and just balling up and wasting product. Another reason I don't use foam any more. Claying will help, but if you're having to clay that much to save foam pads that are coming apart, something is wrong. MF pads will effectively "clay" the surface much better as you work the product.
                    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

How old is the product? Was it exposed to sever temperature extremes?
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                        How old is the product? Was it exposed to sever temperature extremes?
                        Actually it was a new bottle of UC. The first section may have been with the last of the old one. I had discounted the problem being the UC because whatever built up on the pad would not wash out of the pad with water. UC rinses out easily. And since it is a car I just got from a dealer, I have no idea what they would have used when they detailed it. Whatever it was I don't like it! Some kind of wax or glaze or polishing oil? No clue. I think what I'll do is wash it good with Dawn dish soap and start fresh. I worry I may have made my job harder because I now put ULW on top of what was there before.

Comment

Originally posted by bryandlewis View Post
                          Actually it was a new bottle of UC. The first section may have been with the last of the old one. I had discounted the problem being the UC because whatever built up on the pad would not wash out of the pad with water. UC rinses out easily. And since it is a car I just got from a dealer, I have no idea what they would have used when they detailed it. Whatever it was I don't like it! Some kind of wax or glaze or polishing oil? No clue. I think what I'll do is wash it good with Dawn dish soap and start fresh. I worry I may have made my job harder because I now put ULW on top of what was there before.
                          I always wash my pads out with Meguiar's all purpose cleaner so I can't say that I have seen the issue you are having. Some paints are sticky and make for the paint to be a little more difficult to polish.

Do you mean using dish soap for the pads or paint? If it's for the pads then that is fine. Just takes a bit to rinse all the dish soap out. If on the paint don't bother using dish soap on it. It does not buy you anything with most modern day waxes and sealants.

We're out testing the popular Dawn dish soap wax/sealant stripping claim, find out how Finish Kare Hi-Temp Paste Wax and RejeX Paint Sealant perform on the p...
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

on one of the pictures, it looks like you are using a rotary polishing pad (7 inch) on the G110v2 DA polisher. I would suggest getting the new thin pads and see if that helps. It is common for too large of a pad to throw product

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');