• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#6, #20, #21, & #66 (maybe some more)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #6, #20, #21, & #66 (maybe some more)

Seems like there are a lot of One Step products with overlapping purposes (cleaner/waxes, cleaner/sealants, polish/waxes, etc), and I was wondering if anyone could explain when and why I'd want to use a particular product.

Thanks

Re: #6, #20, #21, & #66 (maybe some more)

Out of the one's you listed, M6, M20 and M66 are cleaner wax type products. M21 is a finishing sealant with no cleaning ability.

What are you trying to achieve?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I'm trying to figure out which cleaner wax to get,preferably one with less cut than HD Speed (which I already have a bunch of). Really just want to learn the differences between the products and when I'd use each one. Only use I'd have right now would be on my niece's silver Ford Focus, which only needs a little bit of polish before protection.

Comment

You're probably safe with any of the cleaner waxes mentioned.

Probably M06, M66. I use a LOT of M66.

Comment

I agree. Any of them will work as they are all in one's except M21 which is a stand alone protectant.

This should help

99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

D301 is a great cleaner-wax, btw. It's an apply-and-wipe-off wax, creates a dark wet look, and doesn't stain trim.
            Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
            4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
            First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Oh yeah, don't overlook D301. Leaves a very slick finish, and you can wipe it off immediately after application. Awesome stuff!

I even apply it with a Lake Country Crimson Hydrotech foam finishing pads.

Comment

So would the finish left by something like #66 or D301 be equivalent to that left by 205 polish + #26 or #21?

Or will the 2 step always beat the one step?

Comment

2 step in terms of correction (compound and polish)? Then yes this will give more correction than an all in one. Same can be said for dedicated polish. It will correct more than an AIO.

In terms of protection D301, M66 and M26 would be pretty close as they. All in one's don't offer long term protection and that is due to the sacrifice of it being an all in one. M21 will offer the longest protection.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

I was wondering whether an AIO could take the place of a dedicated polish + a dedicated protectant (either after compounding or without). Sounds like not.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPoppa View Post
                      I was wondering whether an AIO could take the place of a dedicated polish + a dedicated protectant (either after compounding or without). Sounds like not.
                      You could but I am one that believes that if one is going to top a AIO with a longer lasting protection then why not just go ahead and polish. That's just my personal belief. An AIO can be topped. It will affect the longevity of the longer lasting protection. An alternative is to just follow up with a spray wax like D156. It's quick and it's easy and last a few weeks.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

BigPoppa, it really depends, but technically yes. If doing a full correction, I'll compound, then use D302 polish, then D301 in a light but thick pass. If I'm just re-waxing, then I'll use D301 by itself, more aggressively to activate the cleaners, with maybe a second pass just because I want to. So, two different applications/reasons. The first takes a whole weekend, while the second can be an hour or so, since D301 is wiped off immediately. As for the finish, no, the two are not really the same. It's that compound and polish work that I'm using D301 and frequent GCQW to protect, and when the polishing oils finally wear away, perhaps in a year's worth of washing and re-waxing with GCQW later, then it's time to re-polish regardless of compounding. I'm usually blown away at how different the finish looks, as I'd slowly gotten used to the GCQW look vs full DAMF, as well as a kinda thin spray shine vs a full deep wet look. Usually, the spiderwebs, various scratches and so forth mean it's time for a compound too, but in some areas, I might not need compounding, so it's just polish and wax. So that's a third application. The finish left behind using a polish and then a wax is just going to be deeper and smoother and so forth, than with an AIO or any wax by itself, even the polish-waxes like GC and UW. The question for me is when I need and can pull off that full weekend re-correction
                        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');