• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to use polish ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to use polish ?

Compounded today using my DA and UC, and followed this up with ULW.
    I realized after, I forgot the polishing step with Megs UP. Which made me question when do you use or not use polish, as the results I got using UC followed by ULW seem fine. Would my results have been better had I taken the additional step ? How do you guys decide whether or not to use polish ?
    Also, considering the car wasn't really in bad condition at all should I have just gone UP > ULW instead ?

In short, when to compound ? When to polish ? And when to use both ?

Thanks...

Re: When to use polish ?

A polish will refine the finish and impart gloss. If the paint finished out good with UC then it is fine to follow up with UW.

I have only polished out my cars one time. After that it's been M205 which is all I need. Proper washing techniques will limit wash marring.

The test spot is your best friend.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

UW is a polish-wax, so it's doing a little polishing on its own. Might not be much of a difference, and could be overkill. I used to use Gold Class (also a polish-wax) after UP, and the paint was almost dripping with excess oils after that double shot Otherwise, there are so many variations and situations, it's hard to say "always do this". I tend to re-polish when it looks or feels like those oils are almost gone underneath the wax layers, or if I've done any compounding, or polish by itself to correct a small issue by hand, but I always do the polish step when I'm shooting for a full-correction. Those oils are essential for keeping the weekly maintenance down to a roar, and keep the finish looking more fresh than it might otherwise be after a week of daily driving.
      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Thanks guys !! Sounds like I should have polished/waxed, instead of compound/waxed. If I were to polish at this point and re-wax, would I have to remove the wax I just put on first or would the polish do this ? I'll do a test spot first as Guz suggested.

I'm not familiar with the concept of 'oils' could you briefly explain the what and why of oils ? And does UW have enough of these oils or is it necessary to polish first ?

Comment

I say to leave it alone if the paint looks good. You can polish and wax when it's time to do so again.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

So you can mix and match with pads and product. It takes a bit of experimenting but when you do enough colors you can figure it out.

For instance, you can practically buff a silver car with a wool pad and compound and get away with it.

On your own personal car I would say if you have the time always follow up with a polish for best results.

However at the shop I work at money is a factor, and if we can save time on a car we will.

Black and other dark colors almost always should be polished after compounding. You could get away with a polish and a cutting pad, then follow with a wax and a polishing pad. Just an example.

Mix and match on test panels and compare. As you get more experienced you'll be able to look at a car and decide what steps you'll need to achieve the best finish with the least amount of steps.

Be careful of the oils left behind as well. Some compounds have oils that leave a nice shine at first, but after one wash will dull out as the oils are removed. So know your product before deciding.

This is an issue with rotary buffers. You'll buff and polish with a buffer and it will glow. Then a week later the oils fade and you can see trail marks from the pad.

Comment

Yep, Video, I totally agree with that

NYShine, I wouldn't worry about trying to remove wax specifically. However, I would make sure the surface is clean, either with a wash or a wipe with some QD. That "sealant" will come right off, or at best, be lost in the new process. Try areas side by side with different combos so you can look at them for a day or two in different light, full sun, "gas station light", and so on.

The oils in compounds, polishes and some waxes are a bit of a dark art. Some Meg's products are loaded with them, others have none. How much is too much depends on the paint and your desires. They basically coat and soak into the surface and create a shine and mirror finish that makes it look "polished", even if it isn't. There's also the "act of polishing", which is not the same thing as the liquid polish itself. "Polishing" can mean moving a slow-spinning pad over the surface slowly, which is extremely mild in terms of abrasion, but nevertheless "jewels" the finish by working those oils in very thoroughly and smoothing over any unevenness in the surface. It takes a lot of patience, actually, but a few slow passes on a hood, for example, will create an unbelievable "jewel" effect, a surface so baby-smooth it seems like liquid itself.
              Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
              4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
              First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Keep in mind that Ultimate Polish has a light abrasive load, which refines the finish to a maximum gloss, and eliminates light towel marks.

Also remember that all Meguiar's products are designed to work synergistically. Any oils left behind by a product such as Ultimate Polish are actually designed to work with their sealants and waxes.

Comment

Thanks again guys !! Very informative responses, I really learned a lot from this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by drumdan View Post
                    Keep in mind that Ultimate Polish has a light abrasive load, which refines the finish to a maximum gloss, and eliminates light towel marks.

Also remember that all Meguiar's products are designed to work synergistically. Any oils left behind by a product such as Ultimate Polish are actually designed to work with their sealants and waxes.
                    I like to do a for me suiting complete detail every two months, I wash my car with the yellow wash&wax shampoo then after drying I use the UP and after that the ULW.
                    But when you use the UP you need to use the pad and directly remove it with a microfiber towl, it may not dry on the surface, correct? And I still cannot imagine that this UP goes so fast onto the paint.
                    The ULW must dry before removing it.

And my question is how do I get this deep looking shine in my car? it's a light color but it should be possible, right?

Comment

Originally posted by rytec View Post
                      I like to do a for me suiting complete detail every two months, I wash my car with the yellow wash&wax shampoo then after drying I use the UP and after that the ULW.
                      But when you use the UP you need to use the pad and directly remove it with a microfiber towl, it may not dry on the surface, correct? And I still cannot imagine that this UP goes so fast onto the paint.
                      The ULW must dry before removing it.

And my question is how do I get this deep looking shine in my car? it's a light color but it should be possible, right?
                      With Ultimate Polish, or any product not intended to protect the paint, you want to wipe off immediately after working the product into the surface.

So, with Ultimate Polish, you want to work it in, then wipe off.

Ultimate Liquid Wax is a little different. I usually wipe it off after five minutes or so. It doesn't "dry" like a typical wax or sealant does.

Comment

OK, I understand and am I using the right stuff from Meg or what could you do to get this deep shine ?

Comment

Originally posted by rytec View Post
                          OK, I understand and am I using the right stuff from Meg or what could you do to get this deep shine ?
                          Sometime the best you can do is a final polish step with a fine cut finishing polish, like Ultimate Polish, then wax over it.

The idea is to get the paint as flat as possible. Many cars comrades from the factory have some level of "orange peel" texture on the paint. This can inhibit, or even prevent getting the deepest shine.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');