• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help - So frustrated (Swirls)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help - So frustrated (Swirls)

Hi all!

I really need your help! I just bought a 2016 Nissan Rogue SL AWD in Black Metallic. Originally, upon purchasing, I had some small surface scratches. As a result, I washed the car and attempted to remove the light scratches with a yellow megs foam pad and Scratch-X. Well, it did remove the swirl marks, but it put holograms in the car. I have NEVER had this happen when using Scratch X by hand, and was really frustrated when I saw this. Does this indicate delicate paint?

My next step was to use Megs Color-X on the entire car to really clean up the paint. Well, the paint looked better, but the drivers and passengers side doors have major holograms all over the entire panels now! UGHHHH! What happened hear? I applied with a yellow megs foam pad, let the wax haze, and then removed it with a yellow MF towel. This is when I noticed even more holograms. Honestly, I have never had paint issues like this.

So, my next phase was to apply Swirl-X to the "holograms" with a Megs Foam Pad, and then immediately wipe off the remaining polish. How much pressure and how hard do I want to work the Swirl-X in? Can I apply in circular motions? I have also read that UC is good. Do I want to do that before the Swirl-X. I am only leery of this because when I applied it before Scratch-X to get a deeper scratch out with UC, I had to go over it with Scratch-X as it left my paint hazy.

I really need some help. Short of a professional detailer, how do I remove the holograms on this paint?

Re: Need help - So frustrated (Swirls)

Am a noob, but i would have used Ultimate polish.

Comment

Since my cars paint is so "soft," what would be the best wax to use on this type of paint? I attempted to use Color X, and it put more swirls in some of my panels than it did anything else.

Anyway, if someone could recommend a long lasting wax/paint sealant that is paint delicate, that would rock! Currently, I have Optimum Spray Wax on the panels I corrected, but I would like to actually wax the area's. I am pretty sure I will go over the entire vehicle with Swirl-X first though, as I can see small holograms from the Color X.

What did I do wrong with the Color X? I applied it by hand with a yellow foam pad.

Thanks all!

Comment

How big of an area did you use the ColoX on?

It might take a little experimenting... ult polish or black wax should be milder...

But really want to just focus on a small area, and see what works, or if applicator/towels are causing anything.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by JMan136 View Post
          Since my cars paint is so "soft," what would be the best wax to use on this type of paint? I attempted to use Color X, and it put more swirls in some of my panels than it did anything else.

Anyway, if someone could recommend a long lasting wax/paint sealant that is paint delicate, that would rock! Currently, I have Optimum Spray Wax on the panels I corrected, but I would like to actually wax the area's. I am pretty sure I will go over the entire vehicle with Swirl-X first though, as I can see small holograms from the Color X.

What did I do wrong with the Color X? I applied it by hand with a yellow foam pad.

Thanks all!
          Optimum Car Wax is a very good wax. Optimum states it has an up to 6 month longevity. If you wish to stay with the optimum line optimum opti-seal would get my vote for a sealant. Really easy to use. I have both products and they both work great.

If you wish to move over to a Meguiar's sealant, you have a variety of choices in Ultimate Wax, M21, NXT and Paint Protect 365. They will be as durable as opti-seal.

If your paint is soft, a sealant and wax will not really help. Properly washing the car and drying it are a must. Possibly dry with air so you don't touch the paint as much. A drying aid is also another option. Optimum Spray Wax can be used since you already have that. If you wish to go the Meguiar's route, ultimate wax/D156 would be a good choice.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

I give up!!! I polished the 3 panels with holograms using swirl-X. I applied it twice to each panel (one at a time then wiped immediately.) I then put a coat of wax on. The paint looked 100 times better, however today when the light hit it right, the holograms looked horrible!!! What do I do to fix this? I have owned a lot of black cars in the past and never had this problem. How can I correct this for good? It is a 2016 Nissan Rogue SL AWD in black metallic.

I am am doing this all by hand (no DA). I'm wondering if I need a professional detailed for this? Ugh!!!!

Comment

As I have stated many times. One can only do so much by hand. It is unrealistic to achieve the same results as a DA.

Paint hardness also plays a factor. To get the best results you need a DA. If you don't have the patience for that then take it to a professional detailer. Just be aware that you get what you pay for.

Man versus Machine The human hand versus Meguiar's G110! This Lincoln has moderate swirls and also straight-line scratches running from front to back,
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Japanese CC is very, very ,very soft, and in general you should downgrade whatever pad/compound and applying force/duration you normally use in order to avoid holograms . There are two ways worth trying:

1, use Meg's BLACK finishing pad , damp, with a VERY MILD wax+polish or finishing polish(#205 UFP), use moderate force and count 30-40 circles per section.

2, use a damp, soft MF towel, wrap it around a small sponge / applicator pad and use swirl X, LIGHT force and again, count 30-40 circles each section.

Just remember, Microfiber generally has more cut (medium - aggressive) but it's much finer than any foam pad, so it's less likely to leave holograms, even on soft CC.

Comment

And by the way, use a MF pad instead of foam pad for waxing. It's much softer and less likely to scratch due to lack of lubrication.

meg used to make a white MF applicator pad, loved it.

Comment

Wow, lots of things going on here. First of all, UC/M105, Swirl-X and Scratch-X are all, IMO, near enough to each other to make almost no difference in comparison. They will all cause some haze on black without working them hard, because it's really the base liquid "staining" chalky white over the dark paint along with, at best, minor abrading. In other words, they don't "finish well", not compared to others.

Another thing is the paint can be super-hard and all of this will still happen. So, I think you've basically worked through the "coating" the dealer undoubtedly put on it ("First Class Finish" or the like), and abrading through that glaze can create some holograms, among other causes. Also, these effects can be temporary "wipe" holograms instead of abrasion holograms, but pictures would really help here.

So, my opinion is I'd back off entirely and just wash thoroughly with Ultimate Wash and Wax and/or Gold Class Shampoo and then wax the car with a gentle polish-wax, like Ultimate or Gold Class or maybe Deep Crystal. If you want to use a polish, particularly on the hologrammy areas, get one that does NOT have any cleaners in it, such as Detailer D302 or Deep Crystal Polish. UP/M205 are also near enough the same and contain minor abrasives. Work the polish gently, or perhaps work a bit more on the holograms, then wax, of course.

The small scratches you started with will probably fade right out just with this, or over a few cycles of washing and waxing, especially if you get a spray wax for regular maintenance. So, all is not lost
                    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

How hard are you rubbing on the car with both the ScratchX / ColorX applicators, and the microfiber towel?

Sometimes without realizing it, we can apply enough pressure to cause damage.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');