• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie help with 2006 DTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie help with 2006 DTS

Just getting started & want to bring out the luster of a preowned Dark Blue 2006 DTS. The hood & roof are oxidized & easily seen in the shade.
    Questions: 1. It appears Meguiar's has products for everyone: Professionals, Detailers, & Retired/ Weekend newbies, Is the Ultimate line the one I should use?? I have the time & the will to try to do a good job.

2. I would like to fix the roof & hood. What should I use? I should also say I went to a General Auto Repair Shop & he wanted $900 to paint the hood & top. [I lived in the San Fransisco Area] Things are expensive. I tried a Clay Bar but as you know this did not work. It did make the surface smoother. Car is not garaged/covered. I do have a Black & Decker Radom/Orbital polisher Mod7962 type 2.

I am a 79year old retired USAF & have some time on my hands. Thanks, Silver Leaf

Re: Newbie help with 2006 DTS

Welcome to the Party'!

Is it possible for you to up load some pictures? From the sounds of it, this appears to be clear-coat failure. In the case, there is really nothing you can do besides a repaint.

Silver leaf=Lt. Col?

Bill

Comment

Bill: Thanks for reply. Ans to ? is Yes but it is also because my hair is silver white. Anyway, I have pictures but not sure how to upload. Any info on Meguiar's site on how to up load?

Comment

Bill: I searched the whole web site & found How up load Pic BUT the info is for Windows ONLY NOT Apple. After reading a lot on this site, I am fairly sure I can use UC (Ult Compound) to correct my my problem. My son is a computer expert so I can get some help there. I'll try to send some pics when possible. It maybe a few weeks. Kirke
        Last edited by Silver Leaf; Jul 15, 2016, 05:07 PM. Reason: forgot to mention I have an Apple Product

Comment

You can either use a place like photobucket or the gallery on the forum.

What I do is crop and compress my photos to meet the allowed requirements for a photo. Any photo software can do it. I then upload them into my gallery.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Welcome, Colonel. The only thing you need is a browser to upload photos to albums here, assuming the photos are saved below the max sizes, etc, on your computer. Start with the "gallery" link up top, but I think you have to post some minimum number of posts in order to have privs to upload. Not sure, as it's been a while.

The Ultimate line is where most of us started, and they're fine products, so you can't go wrong starting there. My guess is the oxidation, if that is all it is, will yield for the most part with some Ultimate Compound, followed by Ultimate Polish, and any Meguiar's wax you want to use after that. It's going to take a good amount of elbow grease, but don't overdo it. A big part of learning this stuff is to be patient with what can be a frustrating new hobby
            Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
            4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
            First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Colonel,

Take a look at this thread... http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20411 .

Looks like the other guys have chimed in about posting pictures. That's about all there is to it.

Bill

Comment

Bill: Thanks a lot for your help. I am giving up. I am able to reduce my photo size but just can't insert them into the Gallery. This whole process is taking just to much time and effort. Effort I would rather put into my car. And, also thanks to all of you, who tried to help. Side note: Top Gear your car looks GREAT Thanks again, Kirke

Comment

Bill: I finally posted 3 Photos in "Gallery" I hope you can view. First 1 is my Hood (my reflection is shown) Second is my Roof & then my car. Sorry for the delay, I have a few issues I am dealing with but that is just part of getting old. Besides a husband, I am a care giver. Tnx, Kirke

Comment

Going to help you even more.

Part of me says it's oxidation but the other part from the last photo says it could be clear coat failure. Hard to really tell since the photo looks small.

You could try a test spot with ultimate compound in a small area. If it restores back the clarity then proceed on.

99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Yeah, the cloudiest areas look eerily familiar to that dreaded early clear failure. At this point, if that is true, then a mild compounding and few passes of polish will at least quiet the cloudy areas down. Here's hoping it's all just regular oxidation, as that by itself will come out with some careful work.
                      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Just to chime in...have to agree with both Mike (Guz) and "TG". Looks like CC failure.

BUT by all means give it go with some Ultimate Compound and see what happens.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');