• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake caliper cleaning (brake dust)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake caliper cleaning (brake dust)

I'm wanting to get my Mustang ready for a show & plan on removing the wheels & tires to detail the suspension & brakes. What is a good (safe) way to remove brake dust from this area (including the painted suspension parts). Can I use any of the Meguiars wheel cleaner/brake dust remover products for this? Thanks!
    2003 Mach 1
    Azure Blue
    5 speed/IUP
    2007 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    KY Horsepower

I just take an old toothbrush, dip it into my car wash solution, and scrub away. Never have taken it apart though. But it does get out the nitty gritty
    FL

Comment

I have used a product called Vim Oxyclean concentrate which I mix in a spray bottle. It works better than anything else I've tried on the wheel wells and calipers and is a heck of a lot cheaper than any thing else I've found. I imagine any of the currently fashionable "oxy clean" products might also work. The toothbrush helps though in getting into the smaller crevices. My wife complains if I don't clean it well enough though when I return it to her medicine cabinet.

Comment

Your sick spotty-dog!!! I have to stand up for all the women on this site...she should clean the toilet with yours to make it even... :eek he he

Comment

Originally posted by Spotty-Dog
          I have used a product called Vim Oxyclean concentrate which I mix in a spray bottle.
          Where can I find this Vim Oxyclean? Thanks Spotty-Dog. The car wash detergent sounds good too-since I have that handy
          2003 Mach 1
          Azure Blue
          5 speed/IUP
          KY Horsepower

Comment

Matt: I usually put the Mach on jack stands and clean each wheel with Meg's car wash. Then, use a soft bristle brush and clean the inner fender area.

On my stock Mach wheels, I use Collinite Insulator wax on the inner rim, or NXT. This prevents brake dust buildup with normal washing.

I have a pic on the NXT forum if you want to see the results.
            Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Hey Totoland, I saw your wheels! They looked good. I'll probably put a coat or two of NXT on both sides of the wheels. Are you excited about the 40th????
              2003 Mach 1
              Azure Blue
              5 speed/IUP
              KY Horsepower

Comment

I can't wait, already detailed the '69 (see previous post), colorx and Gold Class Wax the car trailer, and yesterday, Show Car Glazed, 2 coats NXT on the truck. Last weekend, 2 coats NXT on the '03. I keep looking around for something else to NXT, but the dog won't sit still to let it bond.

I haven't thought about the backsides of the wheels?! Now I gotta go jack up the car and keep up with MattN03
                Mark
                1969 Mustang Mach 1 428CJ
                1988 Mustang LX 5.0 Conv
                2002 F150 Harley Davidson
                2003 Mustang Mach 1 4.6 DOHC

Comment

Hey Matt: u-bet I'm excited about the 40th! My neighbor is riding along with me 'cause his 65 coupe is not finished (I think he plans to spend some $$$ there in resto-pieces).

See you folks next week. I get in Thursday afternoon with the Mustangs Across America bunch.

Later
                  Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Originally posted by MattN03
                    Where can I find this Vim Oxyclean? Thanks Spotty-Dog. The car wash detergent sounds good too-since I have that handy
                    I know VIM is a British product sold here in Canada and is available at Wal-Mart etc. It's a gel-type concentrate. I haven't tried Oxy-Clean (Billy Mays here!) but I imagine it would work.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by msmarcus
                      I haven't thought about the backsides of the wheels?! Now I gotta go jack up the car and keep up with MattN03
                      Yep, I've been trying to get mine ready between rain showers since I live in an Apt. without a garage. It's been a very stressful time trying to get the car prepared. It's been raining off & on all weekend & looked like it would rain all the rest of the time. I'm glad shows like this only come along once in a while-I'd go crazy

My g/f tells me I'm a perfectionist
                      2003 Mach 1
                      Azure Blue
                      5 speed/IUP
                      KY Horsepower

Comment

I use the Meguiar's Hot Rims /Cool Care All Wheel Cleaner
                        G-9524 ....................24 oz. $4.99
                        I find it does a great job of getting that pesty brake dust off and really makes the wheels look good.
                        Michael

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');