• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Figured out why D115 was smearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figured out why D115 was smearing

I wasn't using enough!

I had mixed up a new batch of D115 (8 to 1 w/distilled water) and washed the car (it was only dusty, so all I did really was rinse it off with high-pressure water). Last time, I was trying to use a minimum amount of D115, which made me feel like I wasn't "wasting" any, but that left water spots and smears. Apparently, my "frugal" use of D115 wasn't the way to go.

This time, I sprayed each panel heavily with the D115 ... I used the flooding method after blasting the panels with water, so most of the water ran off in sheets & beads, leaving the panels mostly dry. Too, today is cooler, low humidity and a nice breeze, so what water was on the vehicle dried fairly quickly. I took the spray bottle of D11r and sprayed each panel until it was "soaked," and began wiping it down, not caring how many passes it took to get the water (D115) off of that panel. Then, when all (or at least 98%) of the water was gone, I wrung out the mf and went back over the panel again, this time very lightly and what happened was a combination of the water/D115 evaporating or being wiped up by the barely damp mf (my mf cloths become water MAGNETS when dampened).

The final result? A perfect, smear free car. A quick wipe down of the windows and it's ready for another Cars & Coffee get together.

Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Re: Figured out why D115 was smearing

Awesome. Now you mention it, that's an element I'd figured out using UWWA. It can (and kinda should) be applied very liberally, where QW is just the opposite.
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');