• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips & tricks needed for Paint Protect 365

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips & tricks needed for Paint Protect 365

I just bought the Paint Protect 365 at Walmart and I need some tips & tricks from anyone experienced in its use. I did a quick WW using D115 on my hood, roof and trunk lid so I could give the PP365 a quick test run before going to bed. I used a mf covered sponge applicator and applied several "dots" of product to the applicator, then basically wiped it on. I gave the three panels about 10 minutes, then started buffing with a clean mf cloth.

I had to buff the heck out of it because it was leaving shadows, clouds and 'smears' on the paint. I also discovered that I have to change buffing cloths fairly often as they seem to load up and not remove the PP365 as well (the hood was the worst).

Most recently, my car was polished w/Klasse AIO and had a coat of Ult Liquid Wax applied. Since then, it has seen several uses of UQD & UQW and now UWWA and D115. Should I polish the car with Ult Polish to get down to clean paint and start over, or am I good to go as is?

I'm pretty sure I put the PP365 on too thick and I'm going to work on applying it thinner. Right now I'm applying it by the half-panel ... half the hood then the other half, half the roof, etc. Is that too much? Should I work in smaller sections?

Right now, I'm waiting to see if the smears fade out, like many waxes do once they lay after a while. If it does, the probably 80% of my issues will be gone.

I would still like any opinions on my process and all suggestions are welcome.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Re: Tips & tricks needed for Paint Protect 365

It is possible the wax in D115 is causing some slight issues not letting PP365 bond to the paint cleanly. I also suspect that there are too many products on the paint that are causing some sort of bonding issue. I would start with a clean base.

What is several dots? To me it sounds like you may have used too much product. 365 is a bit oily so it will require more towels to be removed. You will also see the carrier oils on the paint. They will go away on the next wash.

Check out this video I did on how to apply it. It will make your life easier

Meguiar's Paint Protect application. Applying it as if it were a coating using a foam applicator.

99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
      It is possible the wax in D115 is causing some slight issues not letting PP365 bond to the paint cleanly. I also suspect that there are too many products on the paint that are causing some sort of bonding issue. I would start with a clean base.

What is several dots? To me it sounds like you may have used too much product. 365 is a bit oily so it will require more towels to be removed. You will also see the carrier oils on the paint. They will go away on the next wash.

Check out this video I did on how to apply it. It will make your life easier

Meguiar's Paint Protect application. Applying it as if it were a coating using a foam applicator.

It looks like you might have used a bit more than I did in the video, by several "dots," I literally mean dot - like the size of a pinhead, then I would apply it to the panel, trying to cover as much surface as possible before reapplying more PP to the applicator.

This all may be moot anyway as I plan on polishing the car (Ult Polish) next weekend, to get rid of some light swirling it has picked up since the last polishing and will be starting with a clean base.
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"

Comment

And I was doing that with my left hand considering I'm right handed lol. That amount of product was enough to coat the entire front fender.

I made that video to show my technique that seems to work best.

Hope it helps you out.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

I forgot to mention that I put a bead of product down the center of the pad. Later on I tried a different applicator when I went on to actual apply it to the entire vehicle. I was recommended this foam applicator by a someone on a Meguiar's facebook detailing group.

This is about how much product I used per panel and spread it out.

99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
            I forgot to mention that I put a bead of product down the center of the pad. Later on I tried a different applicator when I went on to actual apply it to the entire vehicle. I was recommended this foam applicator by a someone on a Meguiar's facebook detailing group.

This is about how much product I used per panel and spread it out.

I think I used about that much per panel maybe a bit more for the hood since it's so big.
            Don
            12/27/2015
            "Darth Camaro"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');