• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silicone in Meguiars Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone in Meguiars Products

I just got my white 2015 Toyota 4Runner out of the body shop. I had them touch up some spots on the driver side door. On the way out I asked if there were any precautions I should take with the freshly painted panel. He said I could wash it immediately and wax it after 90 days. He warned against using any products with silicone saying it was harmful to clear coat.

Has anyone ever heard of this regarding silicone affecting clear coat?

Do Meguiars products contain silicone?

the products I use most are...
    Ultimate Compound
    Ultimate Polish
    Cleaner Wax
    Paint Protect
    Ultimate Quick Detailer
    Optimum No Rinse

Re: Silicone in Meguiars Products

I never heard of silicone harming the clear coat; how would it?

Comment

The products need to be silicone free for the body shop. Once it's out its not a big deal. You just don't want to wax it or seal it for 90 days. The paint needs to outgas and cure.

You can correct it with the UC and UP.

If you want to put something on it you can use M7 or M305.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

I don't see silicine after being harmful.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

As everyone says, silicone will not hurt clearcoats. I would avoid silicone an any interior protectant as it has an oily residue and it attracts dust. Over time, it can turn your dashboard yellow. Stick to water-based protectants and you’ll never have to worry about a greasy, yellow interior.

Comment

Many Meguiar's products are labeled "body-shop safe", as airborne silicones can really foul up a paint job in process. Once it has left the body shop, it's of little concern. I've been in the dealership business all my adult life and have always subscribed to using a polish, not a wax or sealant for the first 90 days or so. It's probably not as important today, since most paint repair is baked, rather than air-dried, but still a good rule to follow.

Bill

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');