• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machined vs. Polished aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machined vs. Polished aluminum?

I ordered some Sportmax 962 wheels this week, that wiil hopefully be here by the end of next week. They are a "deep dish" style wheel, with a wide lip. They call the finish on the lip "machined" not "polished". I'm not real sure what the difference is, but they don't look quite as "chrome like" as polished aluminum. I'm wondering if I can use aluminum polish on them to make them look more like a chrome finish or what would be the best product to use on them? Here is a pic of what they look like.

1998 Z28 Camaro, Bright Red, Factory ground effects, Neutral Leather, T-Tops, Halo Headlights, and a few other mods.....alot more to come:-)

Welcome to MOL, your wheels look great. It would most likely take some polishing rouge and a few buffing wheels to accomplish the shine you want from machined aluminum. If you want to protect your wheels you may want to give NXT metal polysh a try.

Comment

Ok thanks I have seen the wheels and rouge at Lowes, I might try that. The rouge in like a stick and you you rub it on the polishing wheel, then go to work. Is this basically what your talking about?
      1998 Z28 Camaro, Bright Red, Factory ground effects, Neutral Leather, T-Tops, Halo Headlights, and a few other mods.....alot more to come:-)

Comment

That's it, it involves a lot of work though. Before you even try the rouge, try some regular aluminum polish, if you aren't getting an black residue on your applicator, they are clearcoated and the rouge isn't an option.

Comment

Polished aluminum wheels require a lot more maintenance. You will most likely have to polish them every 2 weeks or so. Of course if they are polished then clearcoated, then you don't have to polish them that often. When they are clearcoated you would treat them just like automotive paint.

Most OEM factory wheels are clearcoated.

BTW, those are fine looking wheels. If you want to leave them like that they would still look great.

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I have had aluminum rims in the pass and will never put them on any car I ever own again. They are ALLOT of maintenance. Spend the extra $150 or so per rim and get chrome.
            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
              I have had aluminum rims in the pass and will never put them on any car I ever own again. They are ALLOT of maintenance. Spend the extra $150 or so per rim and get chrome.

The only way I would have polished aluminum is if they were clearcoated. My T/A rims were clearcoated and they were easy to maintain.

IMHO chrome rims look better than polished aluminum. What I don't know is how resistant to corrosion they are. I suppose that has improved over the years.

RamAirV1
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I get to polish all of mine on tuesday, you don't have to tell me how much of a pain they are to do. I get to try a new non-meg's product cough*powerball*cough and see if it doesn't help cut down on the time it takes.

Comment

I understand what you mean about the maintenence on polished aluminum and if this car was a daily driver, I would'nt want something that I could'nt keep looking good either. The reason for these particalar wheels is noone around here has them and I wanted something different, also they are priced very good, so that has ALOT to do with it too. They actually don't offer these in chrome either so that was'nt an option. I love cleaning and polishing on my car anyway, so I really think i'll enjoy having them. I don't think they will be too much of a pain, because the fact is i've only put like 1500 miles on this car in the past year and about half of those were a couple of trips out of town and i've never drove it in the rain (never had the windsheild wipers on) I might should check those and make sure they still work thanks for all the replies so far and keep'em com'in.

Comment

Originally posted by cthomas
                    I understand what you mean about the maintenence on polished aluminum and if this car was a daily driver, I would'nt want something that I could'nt keep looking good either. The reason for these particalar wheels is noone around here has them and I wanted something different, also they are priced very good, so that has ALOT to do with it too. They actually don't offer these in chrome either so that was'nt an option. I love cleaning and polishing on my car anyway, so I really think i'll enjoy having them. I don't think they will be too much of a pain, because the fact is i've only put like 1500 miles on this car in the past year and about half of those were a couple of trips out of town and i've never drove it in the rain (never had the windsheild wipers on) I might should check those and make sure they still work thanks for all the replies so far and keep'em com'in.
                    We need to see some pics of that Z when the gallery is back up. I also had a Blue Green Chameleon '98 T/A. Everyone was always trying to figure out what color it was. I wonder what NXT would have looked like on it?

RamAirV1
                    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I think NXT would make a terd look great

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');