• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M80 replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M80 replacement

M80 was THE product to have when I started my detailing hobby. When defects were more severe, you used M83 followed by M80. I remember when 205 came out, I didn't buy it for a long time since M80 was way cheaper over here. It made me enjoy detailing by its ease of use and awesome results.

As of today, I'm officially done with M80. I just finished my last bottle on the last car I had to do for the season.

I have to care for some 30+ years old cars which don't have a clear coat and M80 did a terrific job on them. For the last few years, M80 has been harder and now impossible to get, so my stock slowly depleted. What would be the right replacement for this ? I think M205 is the official one, but to my knowledge it doesn't have polishing oils in it, something I really need for these old paints. I suppose I could use 205 followed by M7, but I would prefer a single product that can do both. The correction level I must achieve on these old cars is not very high since most of them are garaged and don't see much use during a year. M80 was good enough until now.

Re: M80 replacement

I believe that M205 DOES have the polishing oils in it, just how much or how it compares to M80 will have to be answered by someone more knowledgeable with Meg's chemistry than me.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

M205 has polishing oils in it as it is a polish.

M80 has been discontinued.

You always have this option

The #7 Rub Down Technique by Mike Phillips The #7 Rub Down Technique This is where you rub the paint down BY HAND using an extra heavy or wet applicat

If you are looking for an all in one type product you have a few options like M6, White Wax, Black Wax, Mirror Bright Polishing Wax and a few others.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

I would also like to know how much conditioning oils M205 has compared to M80. I've recently got considerable work from a classic car dealer so I've been doing quite a bit of correction on old s/s paints. I've sourced a couple more quarts of M80 from Europe but when they've gone, what do I use?
        Paul Marmarinos
        Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
        "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

On a similar line, I have 2 pints of UP. How much cut does Ultimate Polish have on the Megs scale? I'm wondering if it's a viable alternative.
          Paul Marmarinos
          "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

I’m neither a pro nor a chemist, so take my information accordingly. I’ve been using M07 since the mid 70’s, but didn’t truly realize its capabilities until Mike Phillips published his article in 2009. Since 2010 I’ve been doing the M07 rub/ overnight soak/ M80 polish annually on my “survivor” ’87 El Camino for a judged show I enter. I’m down to my last bottle of M80 and am saving it for an upcoming restoration on a garage-find, original ’70 Z28 for a friend, so after the M07 soaks, I decided to try some alternates on the near 30 year-old lacquer of my Camino. M03 works OK, since according to my research, it’s similar to M80, but with a lesser abrasive content. I’ve also tried M02 and M09, but like M03, I believe they were designed for rotary polishers, so they seem to be happiest with a long buffing cycle and more aggressive pads.
            Next up were the modern SMAT polishes, M205 and UP. IMO, UP has more oil content, but a less abrasive content than M205. I like 205 better for its superior correction ability, but UP on a soft pad, such as the Meguiar’s Black pad finishes up just beautifully. I suppose 205 on the same pad would do just as well, but I just kept switching pads and finishing with UP. After all polishing was done, I’d hand-rub one more pass of M07 prior to my final waxing step.
            I truly like the modern SMAT polishes, as you can stop your polishing cycle at any time with no compromise in finish quality, which is important to me when you’re dealing with old, thin finishes that may have been attacked previously by rotary polishers and “bucket of sand’ compounds.
            Once again, I’m just an amateur, so I welcome comments, pro or con, from anyone more experienced.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Alfisti View Post
              On a similar line, I have 2 pints of UP. How much cut does Ultimate Polish have on the Megs scale? I'm wondering if it's a viable alternative.
              Anyone??
              Paul Marmarinos

Comment

Beautiful job and car, Bill.
                Paul Marmarinos

Comment

Originally posted by Alfisti View Post
                  UP would be next to M205

99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Here's a comparison chart from Autopia: http://www.autopia.org/forums/paint-...ighlight=chart

Bill

Comment

M80 discontinued?

I'm behind the times.
                      r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty bumper View Post
                        M80 discontinued?

I'm behind the times.
                        I just found a gallon of it in the basement.... It has to be from 2001 or so. I don't think it's any good anymore.

Comment

So would your experiences support a cut of "3" on the Megs scale?
                          Paul Marmarinos

Comment

Originally posted by drumdan View Post
                            I just found a gallon of it in the basement.... It has to be from 2001 or so. I don't think it's any good anymore.
                            Why do you think it's no good?
                            Paul Marmarinos

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');