• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black car swirl marks. Am I doing something wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black car swirl marks. Am I doing something wrong?

I have owned my 2013 Taurus SHO black since brand new. When I began waxing and washing I wanted to make sure I did not induce swirls so I researched. Slowly but surely, I have seen them appear. Here is what I have been doing and please tell me where I went wrong:

1. Wash car with 2 buckets (one with a grate at the bottom using soap, the second for rinsing rag with water between dips in the soap bucket)

2. Dry car using waffle weave towel being careful to drag towel across car vs "wiping"

When detailing:
    1. Wash and dry like above

2. Clay bar top of car (I don't mess with the sides)

3. Wolfgang pre wax cleaner with a porter cable da polisher. Remove with microfiber towels being careful not to rub too hard or do "circles"
    - I researched these microfiber towels on amazon before buying to ensure that they weren't going to swirl my paint!

4. Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant also with da polisher and appropriate pads

5. Wipe and buff. Done.

When I first noticed swirls I would do a couple of passes with meguiars swirl remover before the pre wax cleaner, but those swirls got there somehow.... They are not large, obnoxious, obvious swirls, but still definitely noticeable in direct sunlight when perfectly clean.

With as much detail, research, and tools that I have been using, it makes me want to give up and pay someone after STILL getting swirls. What do you guys think??

Re: Black car swirl marks. Am I doing something wrong?

Originally posted by shweetpickens View Post
    I have owned my 2013 Taurus SHO black since brand new. When I began waxing and washing I wanted to make sure I did not induce swirls so I researched. Slowly but surely, I have seen them appear. Here is what I have been doing and please tell me where I went wrong:

1. Wash car with 2 buckets (one with a grate at the bottom using soap, the second for rinsing rag with water between dips in the soap bucket)

2. Dry car using waffle weave towel being careful to drag towel across car vs "wiping"

When detailing:

3. Wolfgang pre wax cleaner with a porter cable da polisher. Remove with microfiber towels being careful not to rub too hard or do "circles"
    - I researched these microfiber towels on amazon before buying to ensure that they weren't going to swirl my paint!

5. Wipe and buff. Done.

When I first noticed swirls I would do a couple of passes with meguiars swirl remover before the pre wax cleaner, but those swirls got there somehow.... They are not large, obnoxious, obvious swirls, but still definitely noticeable in direct sunlight when perfectly clean.

With as much detail, research, and tools that I have been using, it makes me want to give up and pay someone after STILL getting swirls. What do you guys think??
    What do you wash the car with? You should be using a proper wash mitt like the Meguiars Microfibre one and both buckets should have the grit guards. Everything else seems to be on point.

Comment

How old are those waffle weaves? They get harder as they age and can cause marring. I would consider switching to a plush towel instead of a waffle weave.

Using a spray wax or spray detailer as a drying aid.

So based on what you wrote here and from my understanding you are doing this how many times? After every wash?

That Wolfgang product is a paint cleaner with no correcting ability from my understanding.

When detailing:

5. Wipe and buff. Done.
      It is possible the paint is on the soft side.

This thread is good. See Mike Phillips' responses on page 2 and 3.

Yeah, judging by the pictures you already have some good swirlies going on. HD Speed AIO would knock those out pretty easily on a da and make it look
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by kieron24 View Post
        What do you wash the car with? You should be using a proper wash mitt like the Meguiars Microfibre one and both buckets should have the grit guards. Everything else seems to be on point.

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
          How old are those waffle weaves? They get harder as they age and can cause marring. I would consider switching to a plush towel instead of a waffle weave.

Using a spray wax or spray detailer as a drying aid.

So based on what you wrote here and from my understanding you are doing this how many times? After every wash?

That Wolfgang product is a paint cleaner with no correcting ability from my understanding.

This thread is good. See Mike Phillips' responses on page 2 and 3.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ml#post1372331

I wash once or twice a month. I do the paint clean and sealant protocol 2x per year. I would love to throw a coat of wax on after, but after 5 hours and a very sore back I say "good enough" and call it a day...

PS: Good read thanks sir! After reading that I think that I have decided to repaint my car white!!

Comment

I love my black cars... recently bought a white one... and now I am going back to black.. .its worth it.. it is a lot of work when you want perfection...but its my therapy!
            Presently in York Pa
            2012 FLHXSE3 Black and Slate Gray
            2012 Tundra CM Black
            2015 Acura TLX White Pearl

Comment

Originally posted by kieron24 View Post
              Anything that touches the paint can cause swirl marks!
              Although they look like a circle, swirl marks can be straight lines.
              The swirl "look" is created by the way light refracts on the fine scratches.

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
              Soft black paint can be very difficult to keep from reinstalling swirls.
              Ask anyone that's done H-D Vivid black or Lexus Obsidian black. (sigh)
              My first suggestion would be to upgrade your wash mitt and all your towels.
              I've experienced "quality" microfiber towels causing fine scratches after polishing.
              Polish, wipe off, swirls...polish, wipe off, swirls still there, this cycle will drive you nuts!
              With the right towels you will not reinstall fine scratches. Work very clean! It makes a difference.

Merlin - A Miracle Detailing

YouTube - Facebook - - Instagram

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');