• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M105/M205 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M105/M205 question

So I have a new to me 2014 Viper GTS. It's black & the paint is in pretty good shape. There are a few light scratches. I washed & clay bared. Then I hit the hood with M105 & I have a few questions....

If there are only a few light scratches here and there & minor swirls, should I just use M105 on the scratches and use M205 on the rest of the areas, or do M105 on the entire car, then the M205?

I already did M105 on most of the hood and there are a few areas where it looks hazy. Will that just come out when I do the M205? Did I do something wrong?

If I went over a scratch with the M105 2-3 times and it's still there, does that mean I should wet sand with 2500 & then 3000 grit, or do a few more passes with the M105?

Thanks!

Ron

Re: M105/M205 question

First off welcome to MOL.

What pads are you using?

Are you using a dual action polisher or doing this by hand?

My first recommendation is as always the test spot with the least aggressive combination. In this case M205 on a polishing pad. If you need more correction you can increase the aggressiveness by going with M105 and a cutting pad. I am basing this on the use of a dual action polisher.

What you are seeing is DA haze. It can happen on some softer paints. A polish will often remove this haze.

It sounds like what you are seeing is RIDS.

RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term... RIDS = Random Isolated Deeper Scratches RIDS Random Isolated Deeper Scratches. These ty

There comes a point where one has to live with them. Wetsanding would be the last resort especially if one has not done it before. If you wish to try wetsanding, I would recommend you find a test panel somewhere and practice on that before using that method on any car.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
      First off welcome to MOL.

What pads are you using?

Are you using a dual action polisher or doing this by hand?

My first recommendation is as always the test spot with the least aggressive combination. In this case M205 on a polishing pad. If you need more correction you can increase the aggressiveness by going with M105 and a cutting pad. I am basing this on the use of a dual action polisher.

What you are seeing is DA haze. It can happen on some softer paints. A polish will often remove this haze.

It sounds like what you are seeing is RIDS.

RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term... RIDS = Random Isolated Deeper Scratches RIDS Random Isolated Deeper Scratches. These ty

There comes a point where one has to live with them. Wetsanding would be the last resort especially if one has not done it before. If you wish to try wetsanding, I would recommend you find a test panel somewhere and practice on that before using that method on any car.
      Thanks for the welcome!
      Sorry, I should have said I used a slightly older Porter cable & a maroon Meguiar's foam pad.

The haze almost looks like polish that wasn't wiped off, but there's no polish there.

Comment

Not sure why my reply didn't show up..

I should have said I used a slightly older Porter Cable & w/ Maroon foam pad thus far.
        Would it be better to use the M205 on a white polishing pad & only use the M105/cutting pad if/where any defects don't come out?

Comment

It depends on the outcome of the test spot.

If the RIDS are deep, you may just have to live with them and move on.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Ok. The pad was brand new & I had a decent amount of dusting. I didn't use a lot of product, but i'm guessing that I MAY have overworked the polish? I did spray a quick mist of detail spray onto the pad here & there, but still had dust.
            Also, I found fine, small white spots remained after wiping the polish off. I had to spray detail spray and wipe pretty well to get them off...assuming dried polish is the culprit??
            Providing I work the polish less going forward, what's the best way to get that off without introducing new defects into the paint should I get some more?

Thanks for the answers!

Ron

Comment

M105 will dust. If it is overworked it will dust more but it will turn into what looks like concrete. It can be a pain to remove if this happens. Detail spray or water in a spray bottle will aid in removal. Water will also aid in extending the short working time of M105.

Cleaning the pad on the fly helps out in limiting the amount of dusting.

I found M205 to have a long working time. I have only had it dust on me when it was humid.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

I didn't get into the M205 yet, but I think I'm going to try what I said above....save the M105 for any defects that won't come off with 2 attempts with the M205 and a white polishing pad...

Ron

Comment

Update:
                  The paint is in pretty good shape. I didn't need M105.After claying the rest of the car, I did M205 followed by finishing with Swirl remover 2.0. The car looks amazing!!!
                  The couple of hazy spots are gone and all of the fine scratches. I had to do a couple of passes on a few of them, but they're gone.
                  I'm going to do a sealant tomorrow.

Ron

Comment

Glad to hear that.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');