• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can bugs stay on paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can bugs stay on paint?

This has probably been asked before, but how long can bug splatter stay on paint before it begins to etch? I leave work at night when the summer bugs are at their worst, and I don't really want to deal with cleaning them off every day, unless I have to. I have top of the line 3M paint protection film on most of the leading areas of my truck.

Re: How long can bugs stay on paint?

Even with the PPF, I would get the dead bugs off as soon as possible, their guts are acidic and while the PPF may be more resistant than paint, it will likely still be damaged if the guts are allowed to sit on or bake in too long.

What you could do is simply use high pressure water from either a power washer or a strong stream from a garden hose to get the majority of the debris (and acid) off. I do this with mine and since I have a good coat of wax (Collinite Insulator) and I don't spray the bugs in a way that will splash the rest of the car, water spots aren't a problem.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
      Even with the PPF, I would get the dead bugs off as soon as possible, their guts are acidic and while the PPF may be more resistant than paint, it will likely still be damaged if the guts are allowed to sit on or bake in too long.

What you could do is simply use high pressure water from either a power washer or a strong stream from a garden hose to get the majority of the debris (and acid) off. I do this with mine and since I have a good coat of wax (Collinite Insulator) and I don't spray the bugs in a way that will splash the rest of the car, water spots aren't a problem.
      How do you avoid water spots? I'm thinking about getting an in-line hose water softener.

Comment

You could also get yourself a waterless wash product like Ultimate Wash & wax Anywhere or D115 or D114 and use that to wipedown the area.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Mudwalker View Post
          How do you avoid water spots? I'm thinking about getting an in-line hose water softener.
          Collinite 845 seems to have a very high tolerance against water spotting - unless the car is REALLY dusty and we get a short rain, then I get dirt rings, but a high pressure blast of water from the hose gets rid of them and even if with not drying the car, I don't get spots

I use controlled spraying of the hose ... I aim the water forward and down, away from the rest of the car and skim the surface of the car, I don't hit it directly with the jet of water - that way it minimizes the amount of splash that gets on the hood & fenders etc. If any water does land on unwanted areas, light BLOTTING takes care of it without rubbing the surface of the paint & causing scratches.
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"
          2013 Camaro ... triple black
          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

I get mine off as soon as they are noticed. I use either a squirt bottle of Megs D114 or Megs D101 at a 1:10 ratio. Lately I've found the D101 works wonders. Then to add some protection, I'll then follow up with either a squirt of my quick detailer (Griots Speed Shine) or Megs D156.

Comment

99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Is Quick Detailer and a MF cloth okay for removing bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudwalker View Post
                  Is Quick Detailer and a MF cloth okay for removing bugs?
                  See the above video. Larry provides his tips.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Interesting video. I noted his comments about APCs ... might have to rethink my usage.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');