• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Covers

My daily driver is always parked outside. I use a car cover most of the time. It's just a cheap one from Pep Boys. My question is; am I better off not covering my car and increase the frequency of polish/waxing, or continue covering the car and risking scratching the finish with the cover?

thanks for any advice

Re: Car Covers

Don't know how good your cover is, however, I used a cheap one once for several months on my little two seater when it was out of service, and it rubbed the paint in several places. It was never taken off during those months, so perhaps it was just the wind that caused it. In your case, taking it off and putting it on every day, the hassle aside, it might cause some paint damage. If it was me, I would not use a cover at all, mostly due to my experience, and certainly don't have the patience to put it on and off every day. I think a good coat of wax now and then, and dump the cover, would be my advice.

Comment

Get a good model specific cover

I've used a model specific cover on a couple of cars over the years. If it doesn't have fitted mirror covers, and a pocket for your hood ornament, and soft cotton or flannel touching the paint don't bother.
      Goods not cheap, cheaps not good.

Comment

Re: Get a good model specific cover

That's what I thought. But its hard to just leave it exposed. I need to spend that money for a better cover.

Comment

My final thought was to buy an indoor car cover to go under my weather-resistant ones, but I never did. If I left the cover on for a while, I guess doing a quick clean up of the paint was okay, but if it was a daily thing, the car cover would have been gone. I've still got them both, but haven't used them in several years now.

Comment

I see several cars where I work with covers. But all of the covers seem to be a premium-type cover. That's what I need to buy....spend the money for a quality product.

Comment

Outdoors and car covers don't go well together for your paint. Even putting an indoor cover on underneath is just asking for trouble. The wind will kick up dirt under it and then rub your paint.

The only time I would use a car cover is if the car was garage kept, and I had just washed the car so there was no dirt under the cover. Even then it would have to be a very soft cover.

Just my opinion on the matter.

Comment

i guess most people wouldn't recommend covering the car, even if it sits outside 24/7?

Comment

My opinion if its a DD, no need to cover it. Use a good sealant and wax after a good detail and the car will be fine. I have 300K plus miles on my car and had it for 13 years and its black, no cover needed and it looks like i just bought it from what people tell me.

Comment

Wow! OK, I will ditch the cover.

Comment

Hey, i purchased a cover 4 months ago from this company in California.
                      The cover has been nothing but good to my car, it stays dry when it rains the cover is waterproof and has a tight fit i would highly recommend you give this company a look carcover.com
                      they offer a lifetime warranty as well so you really cant go wrong with this purchase.

Comment

Me too. Covers seem to be a solution for the daily driver, but are really just fool's gold. Along with the many reasons above, mold and mildew in wetter climates is also a problem, theft and tampering from kids, as well as the repetitive trouble of dealing with dirty cover you're pulling in and out of your clean vehicle. Instead, use spray wax and a waterless detailer like UWWA/D115 to keep the surfaces of the vehicle clean and re-waxed every few days as needed.
                        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
                          Me too. Covers seem to be a solution for the daily driver, but are really just fool's gold. Along with the many reasons above, mold and mildew in wetter climates is also a problem, theft and tampering from kids, as well as the repetitive trouble of dealing with dirty cover you're pulling in and out of your clean vehicle. Instead, use spray wax and a waterless detailer like UWWA/D115 to keep the surfaces of the vehicle clean and re-waxed every few days as needed.
                          Hey the cover is honestly very efficient there is no problem with mold since the cover is waterproof.
                          The company carcover.com offer a lifetime warranty so when my cover goes bad they will just replace it.
                          i could not ask for a better product i would like to pass the message for everyone to know that there is hope for covers thanks to https://www.carcover.com/

Comment

id love to keep my car in a garage but f that im not going to go threw the hassle of putting a cover on all the time, unless i had a bentley or something like that. its not worth the effort

Comment

I have one of those custom fit car cover's from Covercraft. I was on the fence about getting a cover, and tried several less expensive one's before choosing the Noah. I don't use it every day, but certainly after an afternoon's detail and I know I'm not going to be driving it for a couple of days. I don't think I'll ever be without one, even if I don't use it every day. When it starts to snow and all that, I can't imagine removing snow going all that great without one. Talk about paint scratching.

I will eventually replace my car cover with one that I can use easier than my current cover.

What I've figured out is that if you want ease of use, those fabrics cost more money. I'm going to treat myself to one that I can launder and care for at home. But they are great deterrents if you travel a lot and leave it in unfamiliar places. I couldn't imagine leaving my car uncovered at an airport parking lot or a hotel. I usually wipe my car down daily when I'm home with Mirror Bright, UQD or UWWA.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');