• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rookie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie questions

Hello I have a couple of rookie questions.

1) what is the average exterior detail time(wash, clay, compound, polish & wax)? I am about 8 or 9 hours, not perfect and exhausted(but learning).
    2) recommendation for pads, LC flat or thin vs Meg. thin? I have a PC and LC flat pads. but thinking about Megs thin disc.
    3) Will thin pads/disc shorten the process time or effort?
    4) Can a LC backing plate be used with Meg thin disc?

I have three daily drivers and one semi DD/garage queen. One PC with 5.5 in LC pads(3 each-orange, white, green, black and 1 each-blue & red). I use Meg Ultimate line, M205, D151 & GC+ wax.

Thanks fro your replies in advance.
    Rob

Re: Rookie questions

1. It greatly depends on what you're doing, how thoroughly, and how quickly - there's no one answer. It takes as long as it takes.
    2. Meguiar's Microfiber Discs, also known as DAMF, or MF. I'll never use weak foam again.
    3. Yes, in general, because the thinner the material is it transfers more energy or pressure from the backing plate to the paint.
    4. I don't know. Someone else here will, though.

Hope that helps
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by robthom View Post
      Hello I have a couple of rookie questions.

1) what is the average exterior detail time(wash, clay, compound, polish & wax)? I am about 8 or 9 hours, not perfect and exhausted(but learning). It depends on many factors, Technique being one of them. Paint hardness being another. It also depends on how well the paint was maintained. It takes as long as it takes.
      2) recommendation for pads, LC flat or thin vs Meg. thin? I have a PC and LC flat pads. but thinking about Megs thin disc. All are good pads. Thinner pads will translate the tools power better.
      3) Will thin pads/disc shorten the process time or effort? Not necessarily. But it will translate the tools power better to give better correction.
      4) Can a LC backing plate be used with Meg thin disc? Yes

I have three daily drivers and one semi DD/garage queen. One PC with 5.5 in LC pads(3 each-orange, white, green, black and 1 each-blue & red). I use Meg Ultimate line, M205, D151 & GC+ wax.

Thanks fro your replies in advance.
      Rob
      My comments are in red. Don't forget the importance of the test spot with the least aggressive approach to determine what the paint likes.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thank you both for you reply.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');