• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swirl Marks after had hood repainted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl Marks after had hood repainted

16 yr. old silver color car. Had hood repainted for stone chips. Looked great @ 1st. They matched color & blended into fenders.
    Now, when sunlight hits it at a curtain angle, I clearly see an 8" circular swirl mark near center of the hood. I didn't notice it till several days passed.
    My plan had been to wait 2 months & then wash, clash & seal. Am I correct that this will NOT fix the swirl marks? With a new paint job, did they screw up when they waxed it? Probably buffed it with a power orbital & created the swirl?
    I think it may need to be polished (I've never done this) If so, I will contact them & have THEM do it.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Re: Swirl Marks after had hood repainted

Please post a picture of it, sounds like holograms. If it is a light polish is required to remove them.

Comment

Likely it is holograms that were temporarily hidden by a glaze. I wouldn't take it back to them, you'll likely end up with more swirls. The best way to fix them is with a random-orbital style polisher (think Porter Cable), but it's not impossible to do by hand with the right products ... it's just a lot more time consuming & muscle tiring.
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"
      2013 Camaro ... triple black
      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

I'm not allowed to post attachments so, no photo.

Mine looks like the 1st photo in the this link of the circular 'swirls' to the left of the Ferrari emblem.

http://professionaldetailing.com/new-ferrari-458-spider-rossa-corsa-paint/#prettyPhotoo

Comment

Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
          I'm not allowed to post attachments so, no photo.

Mine looks like the 1st photo in the this link of the circular 'swirls' to the left of the Ferrari emblem.
          Those are typical "spider web" swirls. With an orbital polisher it's a matter of minutes to fix. You can also use a glaze by hand followed by a good carnuba wax to seal the glaze in to temporarily hide the swirls again.
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"
          2013 Camaro ... triple black
          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

No, they are what are known as "buffer trails", installed by the painter during their necessary processes. They can be surprisingly deep compared to spider webs or swirls, which are installed by our own washing routines. You will be hard-pressed to remove them with a rotary, as that's how they got there in the first place, and by a pro who uses a rotary every day. You will also be hard-pressed to get them with a DA, unless you use fairly aggressive polishing, rather than compounding techniques, and it can take many, many hours. The best approach is light wet-sanding, followed by a relatively quick compounding to clear the sanding marks, then a fresh polish and wax.
            Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
            4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
            First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Without actually seeing the condition of your paint, I am going to recommend the simplest answer. Test spot with the least aggressive approach to let the paint tell you what it likes.

I would recommend working by machine. You will not be able to do much by hand.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Well, apparently it is complicated & merely wash/clay/seal will not do it. Several different opinions on what I should do.
                I'm unsure if I have holograms or not. Looks like swirls to me but may be; buffer trails, spider webs, swirls or holograms. I'm reluctant to invest in power tools.
                Paint shop claims they hand waxed after repainted. Today I bring car to paint shop to show them.

Comment

Find yourself a detailer local to you that can take care of it.

Post on here or on Autogeek stating you are looking for a detailer.

Forum member Marc08EX is in AZ if you want to PM him. He also posts a lot on Autogeek and Autopia.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

I brought it to the Paint & Body shop that had done the hood repaint. I had sent them a good photo of the swirls. But even though it was late PM, None of us could see the swirls! Really need low sun to best see it. Finally they saw some of the duller finish which was same ~ 8" circle that had the swirls. The manager said he would fix it right now. He used:
                    1) Compound with slow speed rotary tool & pad.
                    2) Polish slow speed.
                    3) Wax & buff slow speed.

He told me doing it fast is often cause of swirls.

I mentioned that it was at Dealer for 1 hour to fix antenna after their paint job. He said maybe someone spilled something on it & wiped it up with a shop rag, & that could cause swirls.

It looked fixed to me & later in a parking lot it still looked like swirls were gone! I know the dull finish in that 8" circle was gone. Later at home, just as sun set, I could see no swirl.

It looks great!

Hope when I check it tomorrow, I still see no swirls!

Thanks for telling me about Marc08EX, I saved that info & may contact him in the future.

Comment

I just detailed it; Wash, Clay & ULW. Still do not have permission to post pix. Searched FAQ & Rules & saw nothing telling me why not.

Comment

Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
                        I just detailed it; Wash, Clay & ULW. Still do not have permission to post pix. Searched FAQ & Rules & saw nothing telling me why not.
                        Host them on photobucket or something similar and past the image code.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');