• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavily oxidized painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavily oxidized painting

My car paint is very oxidized. I bought this car a couple of months ago and expected that only a new painting could be the solution, but after watching some videos I think it could be substancially improved. I guess I need to wet sand it then polish and glaze, but I'm not sure about what products to use since I've never worked with detailing. Could anyone give me some steps on what products and which works need to be done to bring some shine back to this original painting (it's a 1992 Chevrolet Kadett GSI)?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Heavily oxidized painting

I think that is clear coat failure...only remedy for that is a repaint..

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      I think that is clear coat failure...only remedy for that is a repaint..
      Are you sure that's the only solution? Although the painting feels a little rough, it's not peeling.

Comment

I have to agree. That is clear coat failure.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Clear coat is a type of lacquered "paint", right? So since part of it is missing, it must be removed, and in that removal process, it's going to "dull" the color base paint too.
          Does that explain why the car panels need to be repainted?
          Repainted or Clear Coated?

Comment

Clear coat is a one or more layers of clear paint over a base color coat.
            The clear paint should be similar to the underlying base coat, that could be lacquer or enamel.
            Many paints in the recent past have included acrylic or polyurethane in the paint mixtures.
            Paint chemistry has been changing to meet changing VOC compliance rules in different states.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');