• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue Jean Dye Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Jean Dye Transfer

Got in my wife's escape the other day and noticed some dye transfer on the seat.

First off whats the most effective way to remove the dye?

And Finally how do I go about preventing this? I am assuming the Gold Class Leather sealer would help?

Re: Blue Jean Dye Transfer

I would use the leather cleaner first, then the conditioner. If a microfiber towel does not take it out, use a leather brush with the cleaner. always apply conditioner after cleaner so you don't leave it without protection.

Comment

My $0.02

IME, most conditioners do very little to prevent or lessen dye transfer. The term "leather conditioner" has no exact meaning as it relates to leather. Some conditioner products are oily, some are waxy and slippery, some contain silicones, aloe, mink oil, neatsfoot and a whole list of things. Some may also include a sealant. Many leather professionals say that these things never penetrate the clear-coat on most modern coated leather which by design is there as a protective layer to repel spills and wear. Many of these same leather professionals say that "leather conditioning" to them means properly re-hydrating the leather. I won't get into a debate on that but what I've found that works for me are products that contain a water-based hydrocarbon protectant. This adds a protective layer to the leather that resists staining and dye transfer but still allows the leather to breathe and accept hydration via transpiration.

Finding out what is in the products can be a challenge as some labels are not always all that specific but, IMO, this is worth the effort.

Dye transfer is a serious issue with lighter colored leathers. The dye actually leaches deeply into the clear-coat over time so speedy removal of the stain is important. If not removed quickly it may become impossible to remove.

Recalling a phrase I picked up here on the forum many years ago, "Find products you like and use them often."
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
        My $0.02

IME, most conditioners do very little to prevent or lessen dye transfer. The term "leather conditioner" has no exact meaning as it relates to leather. Some conditioner products are oily, some are waxy and slippery, some contain silicones, aloe, mink oil, neatsfoot and a whole list of things. Some may also include a sealant. Many leather professionals say that these things never penetrate the clear-coat on most modern coated leather which by design is there as a protective layer to repel spills and wear. Many of these same leather professionals say that "leather conditioning" to them means properly re-hydrating the leather. I won't get into a debate on that but what I've found that works for me are products that contain a water-based hydrocarbon protectant. This adds a protective layer to the leather that resists staining and dye transfer but still allows the leather to breathe and accept hydration via transpiration.

Finding out what is in the products can be a challenge as some labels are not always all that specific but, IMO, this is worth the effort.

Dye transfer is a serious issue with lighter colored leathers. The dye actually leaches deeply into the clear-coat over time so speedy removal of the stain is important. If not removed quickly it may become impossible to remove.

Recalling a phrase I picked up here on the forum many years ago, "Find products you like and use them often."
        Thanks for the information I appreciate it..

Comment

I have been working on the Dye stain for a bit now and have made some progress

Been using GC leather and vinyl cleaner..

I have another product on the way designed to remove dye stains from leather hopefully it will remove the remainder.

Comment

Keeps us updated. I have the same thing too with my F150 seat. Same looking leather (tan). I haven't tried anthing other than D180 and also tried to steam clean the seat, but didn't seem to get much of a change.
            2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
            2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
            2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

Here is the final pic. I used a "leather dye transfer cleaner" which is not a Meguiars product but it worked very well.

Comment

Originally posted by BMD View Post
                Here is the final pic. I used a "leather dye transfer cleaner" which is not a Meguiars product but it worked very well.

wow, that looks much better. what is the product and where did you get it? I would like to give it a shot.

This is my F150 seat

Also some on the leg part too.
                2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
                2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
                2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

Good luck..

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');