• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody familiar with the Harbor Freight DA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody familiar with the Harbor Freight DA?

The weather is getting nice down here in Georgia, so I think it's time to pull the Mustang out of the garage and set to detailing her! I've never used a true DA before (I'm graduating up from a DA Power System), so I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I get on it. Thank you guys!
    2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Re: Anybody familiar with the Harbor Freight DA?

There's been a lot of discussion of the HF DA on other forums. Basically it's a decent machine for the cost, with adequate power. Weak points noted are that the grease used in the gear drive is poor quality and an insufficient amount and the backing plate is worthless. If you already have an assortment of 4" pads for your D/A system, you can get a Meguiar's matching backing plate and use them. As with most other HF stuff, you get what you pay for. It's a usable machine, but far short of the premium polishers. Try and stay with smaller, thinner pads, like the Meguiar's 5 inch discs for best results.

Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill. I've got a good backing plate and pads. How are the OPMs compared to other DAs?

Comment

You might have to do some searching, but IIRC, revs are about equal to a GG polisher, about 1/2 step higher than a P-C.

Bill

Comment

I use the HF dual action. The backing plate and pads aren't good. The pads get chewed up by the backing plate because they don't have enough Velcro pad. it's good enough if you get a Meguiars backing plate and pads.

Comment

Although I didn't end up going with the HF one as I was able to get the GG one on a deal that wasn't much more I went that route, but if it I hadn't done that I would have gotten the HF. For me, I got all the stuff I needed to get started, but was afraid to start on the wife's new black car as my first try with a DA, even though they are safe. I think I started on my vehicle which was an older white Pilot or my friends 07 Tahoe (I can't remember now), which he didn't care what happened lol. Anything was better than it looked. But by time I was ready to put it down on hers I felt comfortable.
            2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
            2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
            2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

Ugh! All I have are black vehicles at the house, and I'm not about to put the time into my white "company" car. It's a 2008 Crown Vic that has seen some miles (188,000 miles!) and the paint is starting to peel! But we keep 'em in service until the parts start falling off! LOL

I've got a good backing plate and pads, and I'll be using Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, and Ultimate Liquid Wax (Probably applied with an orbital buffer and removed by hand).

Another big question for is; how much time can I expect to save using a DA? Before, I was using the orbital or hand applying the compounds and waxes and a complete detailing of my car would take around 12 to 14 hours!

Comment

Originally posted by GLOCKer View Post
                Ugh! All I have are black vehicles at the house, and I'm not about to put the time into my white "company" car. It's a 2008 Crown Vic that has seen some miles (188,000 miles!) and the paint is starting to peel! But we keep 'em in service until the parts start falling off! LOL

I've got a good backing plate and pads, and I'll be using Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, and Ultimate Liquid Wax (Probably applied with an orbital buffer and removed by hand).

Another big question for is; how much time can I expect to save using a DA? Before, I was using the orbital or hand applying the compounds and waxes and a complete detailing of my car would take around 12 to 14 hours!
                Yeah, I probably wouldn't want to waste my time on that old of a company car either. Something newer and nicer, yes, maybe, lol.

I think the first time I used mine, I still spent most of the day with it, but that is because I was taking my time trying to learn it. Especially when I went to the black car. Now that I am comfortable using it, I can do the whole car in maybe 2 hours. That is for polishing. I still apply my UW or what ever like that I am using by hand. The biggest thing you will notice from this, is at the end of the day, your body won't feel as tired and sore. Maybe you aren't as out of shape as me, but I would be sore for 2 days after spending all weekend cleaning a car by hand, lol. You will love the DA Also, if you haven't looked into it yet, consider getting a Nanoskin autoscrubber pad for it instead of clay bar. Hands down the best thing IMO. I can do the whole car in about 30 minutes, where it would take a couple hours or so to use clay. You still need clay for small or tight areas (or a nanoskin towel) but the autoscurbber is a life saver, and you can get them on eBay for like $35.

Be sure to throw up some shots when you get done!
                2017 Lexus RX 350 - Satin Cashmere Metallic
                2016 Honda Odyssey Touring - Crystal Black Pearl
                2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Slick View Post
                  I use the HF dual action. The backing plate and pads aren't good. The pads get chewed up by the backing plate because they don't have enough Velcro pad. it's good enough if you get a Meguiars backing plate and pads.
                  I use the HF machine as well--was using poor quality pads but switching to GG for the new car. I will have to let the DA cool since this car is much larger than my previous one--run it too long and the gear grease breaks down.

As an aside, there are swirl marks (dealer installed) on every body panel, and the car had 21 miles on it when l received it. The car I traded with 57,295 miles didn't have any.

Attempted to post some 'before' photos--still don't have the hang of it yet.
                  2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Good luck with it! Can't wait to see the before and after photos. I'm being forced to wait on my car because of all of the pollen around here.

Comment

Good luck with it! Can't wait to see the before and after photos. I'm being forced to wait on my car because of all of the pollen around here.
                      Funny you should mention pollen. As many of you know, I commute in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and last weekend decided to attack my dealer delivered swirl marks.

Listened to those of you who said to start with the least aggressive method to see how it worked.

Well, picked up #9 Mirror Glaze (light cut) with a GG correction pad on the HF DA. It was successful taking out about 75% of the marks.

The marks on the trunk lid are particularly stubborn, so I'm getting some M205 to work on those.

But back to the pollen--after washing, claying, correction with the DA, and wax, the car looked really good. And then, the pine pollen settled on it.

Now it looks like a red car with a tinge of yellow.

This weekend it is going to rain. So I'm just doing real estate related stuff instead of car related stuff.

Next weekend perhaps will try the M205 on the trunk lid.

And as an aside, I told both my salesman, the service shop manager, and the manufacturer about the swirl marks.
                      2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

To the group: Tried to fix my grammar but I wasn't paying attention and lost my editing window.

Meant to delete 'both' from the last sentence.

Oops.

Comment

I have the harbor frieght da, i was wondering if I can remove the packing plate and replace with a meguiars one? If so im going to order it with some pads and those nice microfiber towels they got

Comment

Yes. Yes you can. Slip the wrench into the slot behind the backing plate and make sure it engages the nut. Then, hold the wrench in place and you can unscrew the backing plate. Spindle is standard 5/16" diameter and fits meguiars and others' backing plates.

Comment

The weather is getting nice down here in Georgia, so I think it's time to pull the Mustang out of the garage and set to detailing her! I've never used a true DA before (I'm graduating up from a DA Power System), so I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I get on it. Thank you guys!
                              I have it and love it, Im buying another 1 soon so I don't have to switch between a 3" and 6" plate. The harbor frieght pads are good but the merguiars thin pads are better for sure, I wouldn't bother with the backing plate though, I just bought 1 and it seems to be the exact same as the one the harbor freight da already comes with. IDK I could be wrong but I see no noticeable difference at all? I f anyone want s to chime in on that?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');