• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wax longevity question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wax longevity question

I'm just a bit confused about the frequency of washing to maintain the wax on the paint, because it is recommended to was a car around every 1-2 weeks, but my car is mostly garaged and used occasionally, so most times it is not that dirty, therefore I end up washing it sometimes once a month or longer.

I was wondering does wax still last long even if the car is not washed that frequently, because I thought washing with a premium shampoo (Gold Class in my case) increases the wax's ability to protect.

Re: wax longevity question

I find synthetic waxes will last up to 6 months and regular waxes will last about 3 months on daily drivers. If it is garaged it will last longer probably 4-5 for regular and 7-8. IMO

Comment

Well, myths about longevity aside, you should develop a feel for how long the protection is lasting. None of them last very long. Do not trust water beading. Since you have the luxury of a garage, just boost regularly with a quik wax matching your wax or sealant, and then wash and re-wax on your regular schedules.
      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

I use GC wax, so does regular/occasional washing contribute to the longevity of the wax?

Comment

IMO, not washing a garaged car probably extends the protection. Anytime you're rubbing anything over the paint, even a good wash soap or rinseless and wiping dry, you're removing a microscopic layer of the wax film. I last waxed my El Camino in August. I can't remember the last product I used, but it was a "beauty" wax, such as M26 or Wolfgang Fuzion, neither which is known for longevity. It's only been washed 6-8 times since, but I guarantee it would bead and sheet like I just did it last week.

Bill

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');