• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M105 Vs 3M 36060 Hot Enviroment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M105 Vs 3M 36060 Hot Enviroment

Hey Guys

So I was trying to polish out some 2000 Grit sanding marks on a freshly repainted car in bodyshop and ran into some issues. I'm using M105 on the new foam WRFC7 red pad with a rotary and the car was painted 3 days previously with a pretty standard aftermarket MS clearcoat. M105 started to dry and harden on the paint surface really quickly and was difficult to wipe off. As I started to use more product to try and get it to cut it started to load in the pad and kick off ALLOT of dust. Eventually I got my side to look fairly decent but it took a long time and allot of product. Then the guy brings out his bottle of 3M 36060 Rubbing Compound and buffs out the same scratches easily using a pretty beat up pad and machine in half the time using half the product. I did a wipe down with some final inspection and there was no filling going on. Needles to say I lost that contest lol.

I've been using a rotary for almost eight years now and I've had some formal training so I'm pretty confident in my technique. M105 has a very good reputation and I see allot of proof in the forum of the excellent results you can get with it so I'm wondering if maybe the high ambient temperatures and humidity we have here in the tropics is to blame? Maybe M105 just isn't suited to this particular application in this particular environment? If you guys have any advice or experience with this let me know.

Much Thanks
    Gamma

Did you try water spritzing? A little water can go a long way on a hot day.

Comment

Re: M105 Vs 3M 36060 Hot Enviroment

Yep, tried that. I ended up with a slurry that did cut much. I also tried spritzing the pad with some Final Inspection. That helped a bit but its not something I think would be normal for using this type of product.

Comment

For working in a hot environment give M100 a try. It has a longer work time compared to M105.

Comment

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
          For working in a hot environment give M100 a try. It has a longer work time compared to M105.
          Does it cut well though? Will it struggle with 2000 or even 1500 sanding marks?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            Does it cut well though? Will it struggle with 2000 or even 1500 sanding marks?
            VERY well. And it finishes out a bit better than M105.

It is designed for body shop use and doing initial cutting. It should have no issues with 2000-1550 grit sanding marks.

Comment

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I will order some. Thank you.

Comment

What kind of pad was the other guy using? Why didn't you start with a wool pad and then move to a yellow polishing pad to remove any holograms?

Comment

He was using the older Megs red cutting pad, w7000 I believe. I didn't use wool because the bodyshop doesn't like the lint you get from wool. Holograms or getting out swirl marks wasn't the issue. Getting the sanding scratches out was the main objective.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');