• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technical question regarding D111 Shampoo Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical question regarding D111 Shampoo Plus

I recently purchased another gallon of D111 Shampoo Plus and once I got it home I noticed some changes in the labeling.

Here's the old and the new bottle.

On the front of the old label it states:
    Last edited by Eldorado2k; Dec 8, 2015, 12:05 AM. Reason: More info

Re: Technical question regarding D111 Shampoo Plus

Interesting. Is the dilution still the same?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

It cut off my post... There was a whole lot more to that.. Let me try and re post.

Comment

What a PITA... It won't post my whole entire message...
        Last edited by Eldorado2k; Dec 8, 2015, 12:16 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

Nope... It won't let me post it. Smh
          Last edited by Eldorado2k; Dec 8, 2015, 12:27 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

Use the browser on your phone or on your PC and forget the app.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

On the front of the old label it states
              Polymer conditioning agents boost gloss

On the new label that's been replaced with
              Long lasting car wash suds

I also noticed a change in the ingredients it contains.

Old label lists 7 ingredients.
              Whereas the new label only lists 4.

So I'm assuming Shampoo Plus no longer contains gloss boosting conditioning agents? That would be unfortunate, as it was 1 of the main factors in me choosing D111 over other options out there.

My question is, what are the differences between the old formulation and the new? I've had this new gallon for over a month but I've been hesitant on opening it because of this.

Thanks for reading.

Comment

Thx Guz, I think I figured it out.
                The dilution ratio remains the same at 1:128.

Here's the difference in the ingredients. Old label.

New label.

Comment

Label changes are very common and often do not accompany a formulation change. The changes you see on these labels do not necessarily indicate any change to the product. The front label contains bullet points used by our marketing department to simply convey what we feel are important features and benefits of any given product. Some times Marketing and/or Sales feels it is worth changing up those bullet points in an effort to communicate better with our customers. The "Contains" section on the back label is a list of ingredients we are required to disclose by law. It is by no means a complete list of ingredients and can change over time depending on applicable laws or even our own internal processes. That being said we already have a call in to both Marketing and R&D to confirm whether or not there was a formulation change we are unaware of. Once we hear a definitive answer from them we will let you know.
                  Brian Hann
                  Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
                  Meguiar's Inc.
                  Irvine, California
                  bhann@meguiars.com
                  (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

We just confirmed with our R&D department that this product has NOT been changed. The label change was primarily related to regulatory compliance.
                    Brian Hann
                    Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
                    Meguiar's Inc.
                    Irvine, California
                    bhann@meguiars.com
                    (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply.

Side Note, The way you referred to the guys in R&D, and the fact that they're the ones who know what ALKANOLAMIDE and AMPHOTERIC SURFACTANTS are makes them sound like the CIA of the detailing world

They're probably the only dudes in the building that actually know what the "trade secrets" are... Which in turn also makes them a bit like the secret service surrounding the President, Barry Meguiar. Very cool. Lol.

As for whoever in marketing that was responsible for replacing the words "Polymer conditioning agents that boost gloss" with "Long lasting car wash suds"... Well that's a whole nother story.

But who am I.. I'm just 1 of your loyal customers and a part time detailer. You should hire me I've applied in the past.

Thanks again for providing a highly detailed and professional answer to my question. It's great to be able to ask such a question and receive a response like that. I really appreciate it.

Good day.

Comment

The bottle you had must have been a very old container. The one I had is similar to the one on the right (blue).

I'm now on Hyperwash which I find to be better. I'm surprised you don't use it considering the dilution ratio is much less than Shampoo Plus.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

@The Guz. Hyper Wash's dilution ratio is actually 1 of the things that turns me off about it. I use a 3 gallon bucket and fill it about halfway/ around 2 gallons, which makes it easy for me to pour 2oz. of Shampoo Plus from my dispenser bottle.

Easy to measure

If I were to switch to Hyper Wash, it would be a PITA to measure.. 1:400?? What the heck is that? I dont use anywhere near 400oz. per bucket, and anything less than 1oz. turns into a microscopic amount of car wash for me to want to even attempt to measure out for a wash.. And on top of that, Hyper Wash doesn't have any conditioners to boost gloss like Shampoo Plus.

Those are the 2 reasons why I have no interest in switching to Hyper Wash.
                          And I don't own a foam cannon so no need for it to do that for me

You "had" a gallon of Shampoo Plus some time ago? How fast did you go through a gallon of it? That empty gallon lasted me over a year.
                          Last edited by Eldorado2k; Dec 8, 2015, 03:46 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Shampoo Plus lasted me about a year. But I was washing more than one car. Overall it is a good soap.

The dilution breaks down to about 1.5 oz's into 4-5 gallons. That's assuming one is filing up a bucket with 5 gallons of water. Nobody really does that. So even backing off to 1 oz of hyper wash into your 3 gallon bucket would be just fine. It will save you a lot less in terms of cost. True you don't get the gloss enhancers but on a properly maintained surface that's not a deal breaker.

In regards to your last reason, it's a bit flawed. You don't need a foam gun or foam cannon just to use hyper wash lol. Shampoo Plus works well with either one. It all comes down to finding the proper dilution for that aspect. It will take more Shampoo Plus in a foam gun that it would Hyper Wash.

Well now that I'm coating my personal cars I prefer my soap to not have gloss conditioners or wax in it. I personally don't want to take anything away from the coatings behavior. If I was using a regular sealant or wax then by all means I would use shampoo plus if that was my soap of choice. Same goes for a rinseless/waterless wash. Which is why I only use D114. But I digress.

In the end both soaps are good options.
                            99 Grand Prix
                            02 Camaro SS

Comment

I know a foam gun isn't required for Hyper Wash, I just mentioned that because lots of people rave about it being great in the foam gun. Beyond the foam gun, it's even better geared toward buyers who utilize a metering dilution system as I assume a car wash business would do.

As far as pouring an ounce of Hyper Wash into my 3 gallon bucket wash? I just checked and that's double the recommended amount, which I assume would degrade my lsp at a much quicker rate. No bueno.

There's no way I'm trying to measure out a half ounce of car wash to pour in a bucket. Too tedious.

I wash many more cars than just my own. I've switched to mostly rinseless and waterless for the cars here at home, but I'm still surprised that gallon lasted me over a year. Good value, it's only car wash afterall.

I haven't heard much mention of conditioners in car wash liquid being a dealbreaker in regards to coatings. I've heard more about car wash liquids containing "wax" but you would know more about coatings than I would, so I could be wrong about that, I dunno.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');