• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chip Repair Problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip Repair Problem!

Hey guys. Having a problem with a touch-up job and wanted to see if anyone had input. I was doing chip repair on a 2010 Toyota 4Runner. I picked up some TU from O'Reilly in Salsa Red and prepped the chips for painting. Here are the steps I took:

1. Applied the paint using a fine detail brush
    2. Dried chips using a heat gun on low from about 2 feet away. I did this for 2-3 minutes and checked about every 30 seconds to make sure the paint surface wasn't hot.
    3. I allowed the chips to dry another 15-30 minutes and got ready for wet sanding.
    4. I wet sanded the chips using Meguiar's Unigrit 2500 until level.
    5. I then repeated the above steps for the 2nd coat.

When I started sanding the 2nd coat, I noticed the TU was turning very dark gray, almost black. The paint was not tacky when I started sanding and had a hard feel to it. I went ahead and applied another coat over the top and went a little light and smoother this time around. I sanded lightly with 3000 and got the same result. In the end, the photo shows what I was left with (attached). I am getting the car back in about a week for round two and need to figure out what happened here. I posted on AG and some guy suggested maybe during the drying process, the flakes had settled/floated so when I began to sand, I was only blending in the darker flakes with the red tone underneath. I figured I would post on here as well and see if anyone had this issue before and had any feedback. Thanks!

Re: Chip Repair Problem!

Are the areas you've sanded smooth to the touch? It's hard to tell from the pic but it almost looks like you've removed any touch up paint you've applied and gone further into the lower undercoat.

Comment

Re: Chip Repair Problem!

Is this on a plastic bumper bar? If so, you may have sanded through, and that may be the color of the plastic you're seeing.

Also, that dark gray looks suspiciosly close to the color of the Unigrit which you used. Could it be color transfer from the sandpaper due to the paint still being tacky (even though it didn't feel like it)?

Just putting a few ideas out there...
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');