• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird results from Ultimate Liquid Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird results from Ultimate Liquid Wax

Based on numerous reviews throughout the Internet, I decided to try Ultimate Liquid Wax on my new vehicle. I've had very good results from Meguiar's Cleaner Wax in the past on other vehicles and was expecting at least a similar if not better result. I bought my vehicle new less than a month ago and it was in the showroom when I purchased it. I spent over an hour washing it thoroughly with Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash and towel drying it. Vehicle was in the shade and the temperature was in the 70s. I applied the product using the included applicator per the directions. When removing it, I noticed in every area, it left a blotchy appearance. In many instances, it almost had a slight, oil-like appearance at the beginning of removal. I re-washed a section of the vehicle and much of the blotchiness went away. I reluctantly finished the vehicle but it looks much worse than before. I tried the product on another car and had the same results. Very disappointing, considering the cost, time and effort involved. Would appreciate any constructive feedback on what the problem(s) may be.

Re: Weird results from Ultimate Liquid Wax

Ultimate Liquid Wax can streak. Especially if it is applied to thick. Same with the blotchy appearance. It can also appear blotchy on a hot surface. Were you applying it in the sun?

With ultimate wax, it should be applied thin. A little goes a long way. It can also be applied to the entire car or removed after 3-5 mins if working per panel. It will not haze like a traditional wax. Try it again but apply it thin.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
      Ultimate Liquid Wax can streak. Especially if it is applied to thick. Same with the blotchy appearance. It can also appear blotchy on a hot surface. Were you applying it in the sun?

With ultimate wax, it should be applied thin. A little goes a long way. It can also be applied to the entire car or removed after 3-5 mins if working per panel. It will not haze like a traditional wax. Try it again but apply it thin.
      Applied in the shade per my OP. I applied it thin (or at least thought so - to the point of not being able to tell what color the liquid was). I worked in sections, waiting 3- 5 minutes per the instructions and in same cases waited longer to remove.

Comment

How was the humidity? That can sometimes cause some issues with products.

You can take it back and try the paste version. Others like the way that applies as it doesn't have the streak phenomenon that may occur.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

I don't know, if you had same problem like I had. But on my car after applying ULW oily spots appeared. But I went through this spot more times with microfiber towel and it dissapeared. Same, let me say worse experience with NXT.

Comment

Unfortunately, ULW can streak, which is more noticable on darker colors. What color are you working on?

If you've tried what Guz said above (sounds like you did), there is another way to remedy the problem.

After you've buffed it off and see the streaks, very lightly mist some water onto another clean MF towel, and buff a section at a time with that. That should level things out and give the appearance you're looking for.

By the way, the paste version (UPW) does not have the same streaking issues.
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Around 40% RH today. It is a dark color (almost a midnight blue). I washed the car (2015 Honda Odyssey, Obsidian Blue Pearl) again and most of the residue is gone. Water jumps off the surface. Will consider the paste next time. Thanks all.

Comment

As others have said, "Thin to Win". I use Ultimate Liquid Wax almost exclusively and most of the cars/trucks are black with a small mix of reds. There are a couple of things that may cause what you are seeing. First when applying with a foam applicator the first time of the day, apply just a touch too much on the applicator and work that into a small area to get the applicator primed. From that point on, apply very little if any wax to the applicator. The coat of wax you apply will be almost invisible on a dark colored car. With a foam applicator applied by hand it is all too easy to apply too much wax.

Secondly, don't over work it. Don't go back and forth over an area. If you apply in nice tight circles, which most folks do to insure coverage, just one pass of the applicator is enough. Don't go over it again and again, once is fine. I use a buffer and a small, soft pad to apply ULW and on the roof of a car I can sometimes barely see where I've been. This is why it's often recommended to make a second application 12-24 hours later to insure full coverage. It is not to put on a second coat, that isn't needed with ULW.

Other suggestions I might make would be to wash the car and then clay the car. Even coming directly from the dealer the paint may have bonded contaminates that will not harm your final appearance, but it will be improved if you remove them Remember while waxing may affect the final appearance, it's the work you do before hand that provide the foundation for the final appearance after waxing. The reflections are amazing when using UW.

All your temperature and humidity readings are just fine. Sunlight can heat up a black or dark blue finish beyond air temperature. Stay in the shady as you indicated you had done.

Good luck, it will look great.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                David

Comment

On just Personal Preference alone, and not on what's better or not, what do you guys prefer to use over the other, ULW or UPW? And maybe WHY you prefer it to the other?

Thanks guys!

Ray

Comment

Liquid for me.

Makes machine application a breeze and the BIG thing is that the liquid does NOT leave the 'white uglys' on trim. In fact, I use UWL for all the plastic trim.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by willowcatfish View Post
                      On just Personal Preference alone, and not on what's better or not, what do you guys prefer to use over the other, ULW or UPW? And maybe WHY you prefer it to the other?

Thanks guys!

Ray
                      I prefer ULW mainly as it doesn't stain trim the way UPW does. I've not had any issue with streaking or blotchy areas. ULW goes on so thin as to be difficult to be sure where I've applied it and where I've not. I do like the slickness ULW provides and that I don't need to tape off trim.
                      Jim
                      My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
                        Liquid for me.

Makes machine application a breeze and the BIG thing is that the liquid does NOT leave the 'white uglys' on trim. In fact, I use UWL for all the plastic trim.

Bill
                        This works for me also
                        See Kevin's '03 PT Cruiser GT here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/477590

Comment

Thanks for that great answer Jfelbab! This helps a ton! Do you apply a second coat a day later, or you feel you cover it enough the first time?

Thanks man, and have a great day!

Comment

I wonder what sealant was put on the car before you got? The mfg sealant? The adhesive used on the white temporary transport protective plastic film? The dealer wash'n'wax? The dealer detail?

The only way I've been able to repeat the blotchiness using ULW is if the paint surface is too warm; darker colors hold the heat way longer than lighter colors.

Comment

Originally posted by willowcatfish View Post
                              Thanks for that great answer Jfelbab! This helps a ton! Do you apply a second coat a day later, or you feel you cover it enough the first time?

Thanks man, and have a great day!
                              I only apply one coat. I make sure that I have complete coverage by being diligent in the application. I also use UQW (D156) after every wash or after every UQD (M135).
                              Jim
                              My Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');