• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to clean an engine..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way to clean an engine..

Any suggestion's on cleaning an engine..

Re: Whats the best way to clean an engine..

I use a product called S100. It's for motorcycles, but it worked ridiculously well on my car! To use it, I lightly misted it on my motor with a spray bottle, scrubbed a couple places that needed attention, then lightly misted it off the engine with a hose in a controlled manner. I've only had to do this once and I maintain the look under the hood by wiping the motor down after washes and then applying Ultimate Black on the plastics.

This is the product:

Before:

After:

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment

Do any stores carry this product? I hate paying for shipping and waiting for delivery since I have a gated property.

Comment

APC (D101) with various brushes works fine.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Chrome Rust View Post
          Do any stores carry this product? I hate paying for shipping and waiting for delivery since I have a gated property.
          I purchased my bottle from a local motorcycle dealer that happened to stock it.
          2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
            APC (D101) with various brushes works fine.
            Agreed. Worst case D108 Super De-greaser if it is really bad. But I usually get away with D101 APC even on bad engine bays.

This one was pretty bad and I only needed D101@4:1

Comment

You can use many store bought products to clean the engine, but I would advise to take it to a car service centre. I never play around with Engine, it's too important to my car's health.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of washing my Engine Bay or detailing it I like mine looking as normal as possible. Specifically the engine I keep mine clean with Engine Degreasers when it gets really dirty any kind of degreaser will do and also a tooth brush to agitate it. When I wash the whole Bay I make sure my car will not be driven for a day or at least 8 hours when I wet my Engine Bay. When is it summer I let it dry up outside with hood opened or just enough to let some air in or let it dry during the night. During the winter I only do it in the mornings NEVER at dawn or water might freeze up. Since my climate is very hot ( West Texas) I have no problem with letting dry by itself. I do this maybe every 4 months. Since here it is very dusty unfortunately I see no point in doing it often.

For the painted side of the Engine Bay where the hood meets with the bay I use normal car wash with paint brushes.I use spray bottles Spray some soap, brush it and spray with water. Some for the inside top of the hood. I also use car wash in the plastics.

Maybe this will give some ideas.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');