• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing a white car??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing a white car??

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with some doubts. I've been reading about detailing and and some tips to do it the best way possible. Now here is my little "problem" I have a nevada white colored (it has metal flakes) car which has been with me about a year, since I bought it (it was brand new btw) i've been trying to keep it clean and shiny but now i realize i wasn't doing it entirely right. Now my car has a little and very shallow swirls so my question is: What can i do to remove these swirls and make my daily car looking so hot and shiny?

This is the new routine I want to put on practice but need some advices from you guys, I'll really apprecciate it 😁:

-Wash the car (here i don't know where to go GC or NXT)
    -Clay bar (I have the Magic Clay bar, how the Meguiars performs vs this one?)
    -Ultimate polish (Tell me pls if i need this product or is it just enough only using the Deep crystal system paint cleaner?)
    -White wax

and then

-Wax (which one should i get, the ULW or the NXT 2.0?)

I got the yellow pads from Megs, do i need any other pads?
    I'll be working by hand, ouch! I know that a DA system is better but sadly I can't afford it, you lucky guys cause here in my country (M

Re: Detailing a white car??

I don't know why my posts appear incomplete maybe I'm bugged or something. Help pls��

Comment

In another post, a member had a similar problem with the end of their post being incomplete. In that case, it was character issue, which was not accepted by this forum. It may be the case with you, and it seems whatever you type after M is dropped. You location is just M, and your post is incomplete after "you lucky guys cause here in my country (M

Comment

How can i fix that? I'm using characteres from MOL editor, anything else . The important info missing is that here in my country i pay around 24 dollars for the same item you pay in 8 dollars. So you guys give some credit for loving this brand hahaha xD (just kidding) and can you base you answers in my car's color (Nevada white) is a Seat Leon FR. My country is Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by Leon FR View Post
          Hi guys, I hope you can help me with some doubts. I've been reading about detailing and and some tips to do it the best way possible. Now here is my little "problem" I have a nevada white colored (it has metal flakes) car which has been with me about a year, since I bought it (it was brand new btw) i've been trying to keep it clean and shiny but now i realize i wasn't doing it entirely right. Now my car has a little and very shallow swirls so my question is: What can i do to remove these swirls and make my daily car looking so hot and shiny?

This is the new routine I want to put on practice but need some advices from you guys, I'll really apprecciate it :

-Wash the car (here i don't know where to go GC or NXT)
          -Clay bar (I have the Magic Clay bar, how the Meguiars performs vs this one?)
          -Ultimate polish (Tell me pls if i need this product or is it just enough only using the Deep crystal system paint cleaner?)
          -White wax

and then

-Wax (which one should i get, the ULW or the NXT 2.0?)

I got the yellow pads from Megs, do i need any other pads?
          I'll be working by hand, ouch! I know that a DA system is better but sadly I can't afford it, you lucky guys cause here in my country (M
          White is one of the harder colors as it hides defects pretty well. You have to move your head at different angles to have the defects catch the light.

Either of those car shampoo's is fine. Choose one and go with it.

If you are referring to the blue clay magic clay bar then that one is fine.

Seeing as you listed UP and White Wax, you don't need to use both. White wax is an all in one product (aka cleaner wax) and it cleans, polishes and protects. It's a great cleaner wax and the abrasives in it give white wax some very good correction. So if you are looking for a quick detail then wash, clay and white wax. You are done.

If you decide to go with UP then I would follow up with whichever synthetic wax you choose. You may want to consider M205. It has more correction power than UP whereas UP has more polishing oils. UP is derived from M205. Both can be used by hand. If you need more correction then you may want to pick up ultimate compound.

About those two synthetics you posted about. Either one will work just fine. ULW will last a little longer than NXT. ULW won't stain trim if left on the trim. NXT is one of the easiest to apply and remove. Both should be applied thin.

So the decision is up to you on what you want to accomplish and how much time you want to spend.

Just be aware that since you are doing this by hand, do not expect 100% defect removal. One can only do so much by hand. The yellow foam pads are fine. Have your advil or ibuprofen next to you after you finish so you won't be as sore the next day .
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

I'd also go and grab some UC if you can. Chances are you'll be needing it...
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Yes sir! That's the clay i was talking about . Now, you didn't tell me anything about the Deeep Crystal System, is this cause with the white wax is enough? And if I go with the UP there's a chance to damage the clearcoat? And is it necessary even if the swirls are very shallow? Sorry for asking too much

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post

I'd also go and grab some UC if you can. Chances are you'll be needing it...
                Thanks for the answer but I think UC is too agressive for my paint's condition and as i said above, the swirls are very shallow (luckly) :P

Comment

Ok, see how you go with UP.

More often than not when working by hand, people find it's not aggressive enough to remove swirls, but this may not be the case for you.

FYI you can adjust how agressive UC (or almost any other product) is by adjusting your technique and/or application media. So if you're concerned about being too agressive, you can just simply start out by applying it gently on a foam applicator.
                  Originally posted by Blueline
                  I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Yes sir! That's the clay i was talking about . Now, you didn't tell me anything about the Deeep Crystal System, is this cause with the white wax is enough? And if I go with the UP there's a chance to damage the clearcoat? And is it necessary even if the swirls are very shallow? Sorry for asking too much
                    Deep Crystal is more of a chemical cleaner. I believe it does not have any abrasives in it. White wax has abrasives in it. Thus it allows it to correct minor defects by hand.

Here's my question to you. How do you know the swirls are shallow without any sort of test spot? There is no way to tell that.

Thanks for the answer but I think UC is too agressive for my paint's condition and as i said above, the swirls are very shallow (luckly) :P
                    Again there is no real way to claim that the swirls are shallow without any sort of test spot. I agree with Davey on having UC on hand.

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                    Ok, see how you go with UP.

More often than not when working by hand, people find it's not aggressive enough to remove swirls, but this may not be the case for you.

FYI you can adjust how agressive UC (or almost any other product) is by adjusting your technique and/or application media. So if you're concerned about being too agressive, you can just simply start out by applying it gently on a foam applicator.
                    I agree with this.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                      Deep Crystal is more of a chemical cleaner. I believe it does not have any abrasives in it. White wax has abrasives in it. Thus it allows it to correct minor defects by hand.

Here's my question to you. How do you know the swirls are shallow without any sort of test spot? There is no way to tell that.

Again there is no real way to claim that the swirls are shallow without any sort of test spot. I agree with Davey on having UC on hand.

I agree with this.
                      Ok the according to your comments there is no problem in using UP by hand. And about the Deep Crystal somewhere on this forum I read that it has some abrassive characteristics but I can't find it.

And how I know that the swirls are very shallow? Well I just supposed it because since I took the car from the dealer I've been taking care of it washing it, clay in it and waxing it(Meg's carnauba wax i think is the most basic from them) And they don't seem to be deep, but now that you mention that, maybe I should do a test spot with white wax and see if the swirls dissapear?

Thanks a lot guys for your anwers, I really want my car to be the most shining white car in my island

Comment

Here's what I found

it claims to remove scratches and swirl marks however it is non abrasive...does it just fill the scratches in or is it just something similar to a liq

I would choose to go with Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish as it uses the newer SMAT abrasives. White wax also has SMAT abrasives.

If you have not seen this I recommend you do.

99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                          Here's what I found

it claims to remove scratches and swirl marks however it is non abrasive...does it just fill the scratches in or is it just something similar to a liq

I would choose to go with Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish as it uses the newer SMAT abrasives. White wax also has SMAT abrasives.

If you have not seen this I recommend you do.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...Series-Washing
                          Hi, I've read those links, so i think i'll go for the next:

-Gold class or NXT
                          -Blue Clay bar
                          -Deep crystal
                          -UP
                          -NXT (I've read this is better looking in white cars since it leaves a beautiful shining vs the UW)

i'm thankful for your help guys, I'll be posting some pics to show you the results

Comment

Keep us posted.

Just so you know, it is hard to tell the difference between NXT and UW on a light colored car. Both look great. The pop comes from the prep.

I would pick up UW over Deep Crystal.
                            99 Grand Prix
                            02 Camaro SS

Comment

I think he meant deep crystal cleaner?
                              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');