• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pad and product recommendations for PC7424XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pad and product recommendations for PC7424XP?

Hello everyone,

I have a 2011 GMC Terrain with carbon black metallic black color paint. I am just a weekend detailer but I have ALWAYS done proper two bucket washing techniques and used the right equipment, so after 4 years my cars paint is almost perfect. I do a full detail once a year, usually in the fall when the temperature and humidity is just right out here (Wash/Clay/Polish/Sealant/Wax). However I have always used chemical based polished with no abrasives and after 4 years now I am starting to finally see a few very very light swirls in the paint. These are the kind of marks/swirls that you can only see in direct sunlight at just the right angle so there are almost non-exsistant, but I am ready to finally give my car its first machine polish. From what I have read and studied you should only use a product that is just abrasive enough to get the job done. I am thinking a porter cable 7424XP using a white pad and Ultimate polish should be enough to do the job, I am also considering possibly 205 but from what I have read UP is slightly less abrasive. but I thought I would post here to get your guys opinion first?

Thanks in Advance.

Re: Pad and product recommendations for PC7424XP?

Both great products, and both very similar. UP has more polishing oils and, as you said is slightly less abrasive.

I would choose M205 because it's so versatile - you can get quite aggressive with it (if you need to) by varying your pads & technique. Plus it's still a beautiful finishing polish
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Oh, and you referring to white LC pads? Try them first, but they are quite mild. Perhaps pick up an orange one as well, to use with M205 or UP in case the white one doesn't "cut" it...
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks! I do also have a LC Orange pad, but I think I will start with the white just to see if that will get it done.

Comment

I'm also an M205 fan. I recommend that as well. Works very well with either pad. Just depends on how aggressive you want to get. You are on the right track starting out with the white pad.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

I've cleared up swirls with UP on a yellow rupes microfiber finishing pad with no problems. My normal go to with M205 or UP is a Blue Buff and Shine, or Tangerine Lake Country Hydrotech.

Of course the Yellow Meguiar's Polishing pad is a classic companion to those products.

Comment

Non Meguiars, nothing beats Wolfgang liquids (compound and polish) or Rupes liquids
              Both finish so well. The compounds finish LSP ready!

Comment

Originally posted by DimensionAutoDetailing View Post
                Non Meguiars, nothing beats Wolfgang liquids (compound and polish) or Rupes liquids
                Both finish so well. The compounds finish LSP ready!
                I have had D300 and M101 finish LSP ready. M205 also finishes well.

I am assuming you are using the Rupes liquids with the Rupes pads and machine. As a systems that is pretty hard to beat.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                  I have had D300 and M101 finish LSP ready. M205 also finishes well.

I am assuming you are using the Rupes liquids with the Rupes pads and machine. As a systems that is pretty hard to beat.
                  M205, I agree

D300, ehh for me, I seem to get SLIGHT haze under EXTREME lighting.

Ive used Rupes liquids with/ without Rupes pads, always stellar results

Just figured id expand past Meg products for OP knowledge

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by DimensionAutoDetailing View Post
                    M205, I agree

D300, ehh for me, I seem to get SLIGHT haze under EXTREME lighting.
                    With foam or microfiber? Would also depend on the softness of the paint.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');