• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to detailing-2009 Honda Accord Sedan Mystic Green Metallic SWIRL MARKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to detailing-2009 Honda Accord Sedan Mystic Green Metallic SWIRL MARKS

New to MOL! Hello!
    Thank you for any help on this matter and for those who will take time to read this.

So let's begin!!

I figure I'd introduce my set of new tools and the situation.

Purchased a brand new Griots Garage 6 along with Meguiars cutting pad which is the burgundy looking one 6", the yellow polishing pad and the black finishing pad. Product I bought are ultimate compound, ultimate polish and ultimate liquid wax

My goal is to do I believe is called a paint correction. I had white looking scratches that I seemed to get out but I still see swirl marks on the car. I'll try to add pictures soon.

Till then, question is, is it possible to cause more swirl marks or have permanent swirl marks in general?

In daylight it looks like a majority of it is gone, but at night under the parking lighting say at Home Depot, I can see signs of swirl marks. If I am causing more problems I would like to know if I dug myself too deep and can still fix it!!

Please help.

I was told going with uc with meguiars new soft foam cutting. Pads the burgundy one would work best for my car per sales man at detailing.com

Please help!!!

Re: new to detailing-2009 Honda Accord Sedan Mystic Green Metallic SWIRL MARKS

Welcome to MOL.

Was this your first time correcting? If so you may just need more practice to get the technique down (slow arm movement, pressure, etc..). Mike Phillips has some good videos on Autogeeks youtube channel.

Compounding can induce it's own kind of defects on some paints known as micro marring and sometimes DA haze (where the paint looks cloudy). A polish can remove that.

A test spot with the least aggressive method is always recommended. Let the paint tell you what it likes as all paints are different. Some are on the hard side and some on the soft side. For example starting off with ultimate polish and a polishing pad. If you are satisfied with the results you can go ahead and use your choice of protection. If you need more correction then you move up to compounding with the new burgundy thin pad. A polish may or may not be needed. But a polish refines the finish even more and imparts that gloss on the paint. Followed up with your choice of protection.

It's been stated that the paint on Honda's is on the soft side of things. But as always the test spot is key.

You got the new thin Meguiar's pads?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thank you so much for this information. I will keep you posted on the progress. I can't say if they are the new meguiars pads. There the same style soft foam pads included with the meguiars drill bit da polish system but just bigger.

Comment

Well I just test spotted UP with the yellow polishing pad, and it seems just a tad weak for what I'm looking for, is it possible to UP on the cutting pad? Suppose I can, do I still need to follow up with UP on the polish pad after. Then follow up with ULW?

dont get me wrong, I think less aggressive is better than my most aggressive option. It seems like UP on polishing pad didn't harm my test spot as UC ON cutting pad had. I don't necessarily see a lot of swirls as much but still feel can be better.

Many wife thinks I'm crazy because she doesn't see the things I see. I'll try to describe.

Again, after UP on polishing pad, swirl marks reduced, but under specific lighting and angles (sorry don't know how to post pictures yet), I still see some scratches that appear to be deeper but it's not finger deep. Is that normal based on the age of my car?
        if I'm doing a good job on it and that's normal, then I'll live with that. If it sounds like it still can improve then, I wound like to know.

Comment

Ps:

My wife... I don't have many wives

love you dear!

Comment

Oh yeah, in my first attempt i, after waxing I realized I can see the exact tract and pattern of the polished. But obviously it was too late then to to wipe it away? Is that marring?

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');