• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does D114 breakdown over time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does D114 breakdown over time?

Will I still need to use a Base Sealant/Wax if I use D115?

Do you guys use D114 as a Clay Lube? or Last Touch is still the product of choice for that?

I have tried the Wash and Wax Anywhere when it first came out a few years ago. I didn't understand at that time it was a really good product. I used it as almost a quick detailer.

Comment

Well as far as laying down a base sealant the smart/safe advice would be yes. However I'm not 100% sure if my paint resembles the LSP at all once it's been waterless washed a few times with D115.. I've been meaning to do a 50/50 test on my hood with 1 side using D114 and the other using D115 to see how exactly things hold up after multiple uses.

But there are 2 things that I know for sure.
      1. D115/UWWA works many times better on a well maintained surface. [clayed & waxed]
      Try using it on a typical car in need of claying w/o any kind of wax protection and you won't be gliding along the paint anywhere near like you could be..

2. The protection D115 lays down beads water comparable to the best LSP you could possibly prefer. That's why even though I'm not completely sure it doesn't transform my finish into a D115 finish, it's not exactly something worth complaining about, at least for the short run. My gut tells me it does totally transform any LSP [waxes & sealants] into a D115 finish. But once again, the results aren't anything to complain about as after continuous use the paint becomes incredibly smooth.

Yesterday morning I did a bucket wash on the Kia here at home as it had gone way too many days [just over a week] since I last waterless washed it. It's usually parked in the driveway but nearest to the street, and sometimes gets alot of debris falling on it from a nearby tree. From the looks of how much tree sap, leaves, gunk & droppings were covering the roof I was concerned I may have neglected it enough that it would be a PITA to wash and would probably need claying at this point.. But to my surprise not only was is a breeze to wash, but just about all that gunk that appeared to be pasted on the paint came right off with just the pre rinse of water. So easy to wash I didnt even bother doing a baggie test after I washed it.

Can it stand alone w/o a base layer of conventional wax/sealant? I'd say it can do as good a job if not better than D156 could do. And IMO if someone were to wash their vehicle once a week, and apply D156 immediately after every wash the car's paint would be protected just fine. But that's in a perfect world where the car gets washed and spray waxed every 7 days without fail.

Just my 2 cents.

A while back I did a 50/50 using ULW vs. D156/UQW just out of curiosity, in order to test longevity etc.. I took this picture the following night [over 24hrs. later] after applying both products on the hood. I laid down masking tape down the middle to separate both products and that strip was left bare w/o anything on it.

You can clearly see the difference between the 2. Common sense would tell you which 1 is going to last longer & therefore protect better.. This also gives you an idea of what D156/UQW looks like if you were to use it as a stand alone LSP. Yes it's a thin layer, but it's on there.. And as long as it's on there the paint's protected. If you were to spray it on every 7 days after every bucket wash it would stand alone just fine IMO.

BTW, it may look like a crazy thin layer next to the conventional layer of wax, but to my surprise the D156 survived 4 washes [2 rinseless D114, and 2 bucket washes] in a span of about 2-3 weeks and Still beaded water consistently within 3-4 washes. Beading finally a considerable decrease at about/after the 4th wash. I was surprised it beaded for that long.

And yea, I use D114@1:128 as clay lube. I like it better than anything else I've tried. I just purchased a clay towel for the 2nd time and I'm debating on whether to use it @1:256 with it. Not quite sure if it would benefit/prolong the life of clay towel somehow. I dunno..
      Last edited by Eldorado2k; Sep 3, 2015, 03:15 AM. Reason: More info added to the post

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
        Well as far as laying down a base sealant the smart/safe advice would be yes. However I'm not 100% sure if my paint resembles the LSP at all once it's been waterless washed a few times with D115.. I've been meaning to do a 50/50 test on my hood with 1 side using D114 and the other using D115 to see how exactly things hold up after multiple uses.

But there are 2 things that I know for sure.
        1. D115/UWWA works many times better on a well maintained surface. [clayed & waxed]
        Try using it on a typical car in need of claying w/o any kind of wax protection and you won't be gliding along the paint anywhere near like you could be..

2. The protection D115 lays down beads water comparable to the best LSP you could possibly prefer. That's why even though I'm not completely sure it doesn't transform my finish into a D115 finish, it's not exactly something worth complaining about, at least for the short run. My gut tells me it does totally transform any LSP [waxes & sealants] into a D115 finish. But once again, the results aren't anything to complain about as after continuous use the paint becomes incredibly smooth.

A while back I did a 50/50 using ULW vs. D156/UQW just out of curiosity, in order to test longevity etc.. I took this picture the following night [over 24hrs. later] after applying both products on the hood. I laid down masking tape down the middle to separate both products and that strip was left bare w/o anything on it.

BTW, it may look like a crazy thin layer next to the conventional layer of wax, but to my surprise the D156 survived 4 washes [2 rinseless D114, and 2 bucket washes] in a span of about 2-3 weeks and Still beaded water consistently within 3-4 washes. Beading finally a considerable decrease at about/after the 4th wash. I was surprised it beaded for that long.

And yea, I use D114@1:128 as clay lube. I like it better than anything else I've tried. I just purchased a clay towel for the 2nd time and I'm debating on whether to use it @1:256 with it. Not quite sure if it would benefit/prolong the life of clay towel somehow. I dunno..
        I wouldn't even try to be using D115 if I didn't have a solid base LSP under it. The wax contained in D115 is supposed to be a booster, not a standalone. I'd say the same for D114, but I feel it has a good bit more lubricity and kinda clings to the surface even with an LSP on the paint already.

Just my thoughts.

I've used D114 as clay lube as well. Worked, but seemed to kill the clay quicker than with Last Touch @ 1:1

D156 went for almost 2 months on the hood of the daily beater before it started to fail. Although I don't wash that car often...

Comment

IMO the only difference between a booster and a standalone is the longevity they provide. If a booster is applied weekly after a wash, or even more frequently in the case of using D115 as a waterless wash every 2-3 days then what exactly is the difference?

I mean Ultimate Spray Wax/D156 is a wax right? That means it's made to protect the surface from contamination and all the other benefits wax provides.. No where on the label does it state that it's meant to be used as a booster for another layer already on the paint. It's labeled as what it is, a spray wax. Protects my paint.
          Last edited by Eldorado2k; Sep 3, 2015, 09:38 AM. Reason: Add more info to post

Comment

I suppose this is where optimum no rince would be safer than d114, as stated one may not want to use it on the car without lsp product, but the optimum no rince is suppose to lay down something that protects the surface as you clean.

optimum spray wax is also suppose to be a stand alone spray wax, not a booster

Comment

Why would you ONR say safer than D114? Use D114 as directed and it's just as safe as any other product. As Eldrorado stated D115 leaves a wax behind.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                IMO the only difference between a booster and a standalone is the longevity they provide. If a booster is applied weekly after a wash, or even more frequently in the case of using D115 as a waterless wash every 2-3 days then what exactly is the difference?

I mean Ultimate Spray Wax/D156 is a wax right? That means it's made to protect the surface from contamination and all the other benefits wax provides.. No where on the label does it state that it's meant to be used as a booster for another layer already on the paint. It's labeled as what it is, a spray wax. Protects my paint.
                The reason I say I wouldn't use D115 unless there was a solid base and consider it a booster is the way waterless washes act on the surface of paint that is bare vs has an LSP on it.
                Just easier to lift the dirt away if there is an LSP under it and I don't feel D115 is as safe in protecting scratches.

Agreed completely on booster vs standalone though. I've used D156 a few times as a standalone.

Comment

I have just purchased D114, and restocked on D156.
                  I also bought Eagle Edgeless Blue Towels to use for rinseless wash and wiping polish/wax.

My Supreme Shines will be downgraded to other duties.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');