• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate compund removed some swirls but not all...what next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate compund removed some swirls but not all...what next?

I've decided to spend some time detailing my 2006 Subaru forester (it's white) that has never been waxed, clayed or had work other then handwash/automatic car wash. It's no show car but I'd like to get it cleaned up and protected a little more than it is. I know using a DA polisher is ideal but for the time being it's by hand. I also have a dark red (they call it "Venetian red pearl") 2013 Subaru Impreza that I plan on working on next after I've worked out the kinks in my technique/product choice on the white vehicle. I understand mistakes are easier to hide with a lighter vehicle than darker?

From searching through this forum and many other online resources and having a bottle of ultimate compound at home I've settled on adding the smooth clay bar kit, scratch x 2.0 and ultimate paste wax to complete the job. I did the hood and front quarter panels yesterday starting with washing those surfaces, clay bar, then scratch x 2.0 to one half and UC followed by scratch x 2.0 to the other. I used a foam applicator pad ensuring even finger pressure while applying the UC and scratch x 2.0. I followed with a wipe/buff with a microfiber cloth and used the ultimate paste wax to complete the job. I made sure to do small sections at a time and work the UC in. I would say I applied mild/moderate pressure and made a couple of passes in an overlapping circular motion. I did this in my garage so I couldn't see how well the swirls had/had not come out. Unfortunately there are swirl marks that remain. However, it is significantly improved from the start. I have attached two pictures I took with my phone at night as the street light was in a perfect place to see how bad the swirl marks are. The after picture may be a little blurry and you can't see the remaining marks and although it's a huge improvement I would have liked it to be better. Hence this post...

First image are the swirls on the roof during the day.

~[IMG][/IMG

Before:

~[IMG][/IMG

After:

~[IMG][/IMG

As I complete the rest of the car would it be okay to go over the panels several time with the UC or will it cause worse swirl marks? I feel like it is the deeper swirl marks left in the clear coat so applying more pressure and going over it with multiple passes would help. Does that sound right? Would adding a polish between the UC and wax job add anything to a white car or is it a waste of effort?

I'm open to comments/suggestions to help make the best of what I'm working with.

Thanks in advance!
    Jon

Re: Ultimate compund removed some swirls but not all...what next?

I too have some trouble with M105 and have to make a few passes, I think it may be my DAS6-Pro, it is such a safe machine that you if you put any pressure to get the job done it slows down, while something like a Rupes would just need on pass then another with the M205.

Comment

Looks like you're making some pretty good progress so far Jon!

Originally posted by jtb06 View Post
      I did the hood and front quarter panels yesterday starting with washing those surfaces, clay bar, then scratch x 2.0 to one half and UC followed by scratch x 2.0 to the other.
      My question would be: Did you notice a difference between the two halves? Which one looked better?

It certainly sounds like it could do with another pass.

Originally posted by jtb06 View Post
      Would adding a polish between the UC and wax job add anything to a white car or is it a waste of effort?
      See my question above. You have effectively done two test spots by trying two different combinations on each half. Which one (if any) looks better? That's what you want to be repeating over the rest of the car.
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

I don't think there is much of a difference between the sides where I used only scratch x 2.0 vs ultimate compound + scratch x 2.0. Perhaps a little better on the side with the two products. I'm thinking I'll try doing the roof with multiple passes of UC only and then bring the car out into the sun to get a better view of the swirls to make sure they're gone. On the hood I can still see small swirls, especially as a get up close and move around to get the light to hit it right. If I stand back an look at the hood there are a few noticeable 'scratch lines' but not the swirls like in the previous picture.

Would I be better off to follow the ultimate compound with a pass of the ultimate polish before waxing to help eliminate those finer swirls I see on close inspection?

Comment

Good progress. I would stick with ultimate compound. Hard to say if you would be better off with ultimate polish. I will say that ultimate polish will refine the finish and impart that gloss. The oils in it will hide some of the swirls. I say give it a shot on a section and see how you like it.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I think your limited on results without a d/a polisher, One just can't compete with a machine, to get a swirl free finish the d/a wins.

You can get close, but not perfection

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');