• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural Shine Protectant on weatherstripping & icy sticking car doors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Shine Protectant on weatherstripping & icy sticking car doors.

I know it's a little early, but I just moved to an area where I will experience car ownership in the winter for the first time, and have heard that ice buildup between car doors and rubber weatherstripping can cause doors to be stuck shut, and possible damage to the weatherstripping when you try to pull it open. I am currently using Natural Shine Protectant on my weatherstripping to help to preserve it, and to me, this product seems to give surfaces just a slightly slick feel, so I was wondering if it would also provide a little bit of release between door and rubber in case of icing and sticking. I've seen lots of suggestions about applying all sorts of lubricants and cooking oils, etc. but would prefer something less messy and less damaging to clothing, if possible. If any of these protectants could do the job, that would be ideal. TIA.

Re: Natural Shine Protectant on weatherstripping & icy sticking car doors.

I've heard of people using spray wax. I hadn't tried it. I live in Oklahoma. We can get bad ice from time to time however, door sticking is usually from the ice that's frozen on the outside layer of the car, not at the seals. So you may be worried about the wrong thing.
    Am i obsessed?? A car is the second biggest financial investment for most people, why not keep it looking better than new?

Comment

I have been using ultimate black for door seals. No snow here so I can't help you out on that.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Yes that will help, what normally happens you get funny weather rain / slush just above freezing and this gets into the door jam area.

Then the temps drop leaving not only ice in your doors but all over the roads, here in the uk it's very common.

Sometimes ice can pull the paint off but i've never had this happen, extreme ice over cars videos on youtube will give you an idea as to hw bad it can be.

Keep your paint waxed inside the door jams and edged of the doors where the door meets the roof seal etc

Iced cars from google images i hope he didn't hit that car with that hammer

Last edited by bluelaser2; Oct 4, 2015, 02:01 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Comment

As a lifelong PA resident, I can verify that weatherstrips are definitely an area worth some attention.
          I've been in the automobile business all my adult life and I've seen hundreds of cases where pieces of w/strips were torn from being stuck to the jamb in winter. GM recommends treating w/strips with silicone grease, but that's too messy for me. For decades I've wiped my strips with a rag soaked in aerosol silicone lubricant with success, but also a bit messy. Last winter I treated all my strips with 303 Aerospace protectant, which was OK but not ideal. I prefer Natural Shine on all my interior plastics, as it has the slightly more gloss than 303 and is a bit slicker, so I think NS would work well on strips. However, it's generally acknowledged that the Ultimate products are more durable in exterior use than NS, so my plan for this winter is an APC cleaning, UP on w/strips, allowing a thorough soak and a durable paste or liquid wax on the jambs.
          Also, the fuzzy brush strips at the beltline commonly prevent the windows from opening when ice buildup sticks the glass to them. I usually soak them with silicone, as I'm a bit obsessed with wanting my windows to be functional in the worst of weather conditions. I just may try UP there also this winter.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
            Also, the fuzzy brush strips at the beltline commonly prevent the windows from opening when ice buildup sticks the glass to them. I usually soak them with silicone, as I'm a bit obsessed with wanting my windows to be functional in the worst of weather conditions. I just may try UP there also this winter.

Bill
            I'm the same just the drivers window.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');