• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What mild cleaner or polish for single stage paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mild cleaner or polish for single stage paint?

I'm going to clean up a 67 red non metallic Camero. There are mild water spots and mild scratches all over it. Paint is in great condition, but I don't wanna jump straight to m7 (unless you think that's a good idea) I was wondering would the m2 mild cut cleaner be okay? Something to have a clean nice surface ready to polish and wax.

Re: What mild cleaner or polish for single stage paint?

Is it the original paint or has it been repainted with modern-day paints? Is it oxidized? If it's both oxidized and old school paint, then an aggressive rub with M07 allowing an overnight soak before polishing will likely be of benefit. If the paint's in decent shape, with mild defects, skip the M07 and go right to M02 if you already have some (I've used a bunch of it over the years), but M205 or Ultimate polish would work too if you have to buy anything new. My favorite polish for SS paints is M80, but it's tough to find any.

Bill

Comment

It looks way too good to be original. It is a single stage definitely, I know this. And you think m205 is better choice then m2? I luckily found a gallon of m80 last year so I'm gonna use that has my polish step after m2 is the plan. And jewel with m3 with rotary finish pad.

Comment

I didn't know you were proficient with a rotary, as that makes a big difference. IMO, M02 is more suited to rotary use than D/A. M02 is only one step more aggressive than M80 on the cut scale, so using both might be a bit redundant, unless you were using two widely different pads. Back in the 90's, I was taught to use M02 with a wool pad, then follow with M09/foam pad. You could try the same thing with a cutting pad/M02, followed by a polishing pad/M80. You may find the finish to be LSP-ready at that point, but if jeweling with M03 makes both you and the paint happy, go for it.
        Your plan is definitely worth trying out on a test spot.

Bill

PS Hang on to that M80, it's great stuff for SS paint.

Comment

It would be nice to make it a 2 step instead of a 3, I might be able to get rid of m2 all together.

I learned old school as well, m2 was and still is amazing for cleaning the surface. I'll see how the paint responds.

And yes, m80 feels like pure gold when I pour it out, I know it's not made anymore. Even the vendor I purchased it from said that's the last one.

Comment

I've also read that m95 is very oily like m80, I might grab a gallon before that disappears too. It worked flawlessly even on a DA polisher on this post I read earlier today

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');